Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Antenna Questions, 1999 Allegro Bus-picture

The picture shows two antennas, one is a dish which has a box inside the coach, see in front of AC unit. The other is a regular antenna I assume, it is folded down to the left and slightly behind the AC unit.

Inside I have something of a digital box with inlets for an antenna, the usual cable feed and some other signal. One cable inlet is not hooked to anything, thinking that is from the regular TV antenna.

I don't care about the dish, not a huge movie fan anyway. What I am wondering is if the other antenna is one that will work with local TV signals. I tried to crank it up but it does not move. With it hooked up as is, I don't get a signal, however, I may not have done it correctly, still trying to decipher the wiring and equipment. All ideas welcome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:03 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the AV switch box has a power switch; turn it on and select antenna on all TVs. You should have a port coming off the switchbox for "TV (1,2 or 3)" This is where the TV will connect and the retry you TV.
Does the antenna handle just turn with no results or is it frozen up?

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #3

The folded down antenna is you Winegard Batwing over the air antenna. It may need to be lubricated with a spray lube. Chances are the previous owner did not use it as they also had the satellite. Get up on the roof and spray the gears and under the round base of the antenna the try to raise it again. Somewhere in you MH is a small black box with a coax out, small black button, a small led light, and most likely a 12v plug. The button must be pressed and the light on to have any chance of a good signal from the antenna.

I would suggest also you go to your local RV store and purchase a Winegard Wingman attachment for the antenna. It attaches to the existing antenna, no tools required. It will improve reception.

Next question is what type of TV's are in the MH? New flat screen digital or old tube sets. If old tube sets you will want to replace them with flat screen digital ones or will need to go find a converter box.

It sounds like you have what some call the box of many buttons which I have no experience with. Or the box you have may be a digital converter box, but can't tell from the description. Perhaps you could post a picture.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
and if you get the newer flat screen HD digital sets and assuming you can get the Winegard batwing to raise lower and assuming that the coax cable is still good the batwing with the Wingman add-on will receive digital signals just fine. the caveat is that when the switch to digital from analog took place transmission power levels dropped making reception in the boonies more difficult. some unscrupulous retailers have begun marketing 'HD TV Antennas' and 'Digital TV Antennas' while promising the moon in terms of reception. this is all snake oil cuz there ain't no such critter as an 'HD TV Antenna' or a 'Digital TV Antenna'. your antenna receives frequencies within a specific range enabling the TV receiver to decode the mode. period.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies. The TV antenna crank does not turn, seems frozen, so I assume as mentioned, it's a lube job issue. I hurt my back earlier in the week so am on limited duty, drives me nuts not being able to do what I need to accomplish.

I'll take a picture of the electronics and post it.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

Here are the electronics

Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

Pic 1: This is your digital-to-analog TV converter. this will receive the incoming digital signal and convert it to analog for your TV.

Pic 2: Video selector switch. Switches your VCR, TV antenna and a 3rd video source (could be a DVD player, etc) into each TV and your VCR

Pic 3: This is your Winegard over-the-air (OTA) antenna amplifier. flip the slide switch and the red light should come on signifying the amp is working. the 12-volt cigarette lighter outlet can be used for other 12-volt stuff. the other is an F-Connector to which you could attach a coaxial cable for a portable TV.

Pic 4: Looks to be the backside of pic #2.

looks like you've got 2 TVs in the coach and there appears to be cable running to each. TV1 is usually up front, TV2 in the rear or outside. If there IS a VCR in the coach it doesn't appear to be connected to the switch.

lube the crank up antenna, turn on the amp and digital-to-analog converter. the converter should be between the switch and antenna-in cable. turn on front TV. press ANT button for TV1 on switch. the converter usually operates on either CH3 or 4 so tune TV to 3 or 4 and see if you get some sort of picture.

you'll need to scan for channels each time you move to a new location using the converter. in other words you leave the TV on 3 or 4 and use the converter remote to scan for channels and to change channels. the converter remote or front panel should have a menu button.

you could eliminate the converter by replacing the old analog TVs with digital sets. cabling is the same.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #8

Thank you! I assumed that the digital converter had something to do with the dish antenna in front of the AC unit. Also assumed that I had to hook coax from that switch box to what you describe as the VS switch. Neither is correct apparently. An input for cable TV land line lives in the basement, that does work, however the rear TV did not work so it may be switched to the old VCR which lives in another compartment. All TV are old CRT style.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Thank you! I assumed that the digital converter had something to do with the dish antenna in front of the AC unit. Also assumed that I had to hook coax from that switch box to what you describe as the VS switch. Neither is correct apparently. An input for cable TV land line lives in the basement, that does work, however the rear TV did not work so it may be switched to the old VCR which lives in another compartment. All TV are old CRT style.
depends on how the converter box is installed. you typically need one converter box for each TV and VCR but I'm fairly certain that if you place the converter between the TV antenna and video switch then you can use the converter on all TVs and the VCR. the catch is that they all have to watch the same channel. in other words you can't watch pgm A on TV1 and pgm B on TV2 unless each TV has its own converter. that problem is solved by dumping the converter and analog TVs and adding flat screen digital sets. you cable line can connect to the AUX port of the switch.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
And, if you are unaware, to turn the batwing antenna you must pull down slightly on the round outside edge. Normally this is done once the antenna is cranked up.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

I was unaware of that function Mel and Harry, thanks.

911, I will eventually switch those TV sets out but for now I have so much going on which takes precedence. My wife is the TV sitter so having them both on the same channel is not an issue. The boat I'm working on and this old MH are getting some updated upholstery first. Not to mention I have two more trees to take down and a pile of wood to split before the weather gets bad. Hope my back heals quickly!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

These are the new cushions I made for the dinette booth. I am also going to do all the surround trim and the trim over the entire top of that area which is all in the slide-out.

Tags
antenna