Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Antenna to Router cable routing

Trying to figure out how to run the cable from my Wi-Fi antenna booster mounted on my ladder too the router to the entertainment center located about halfway down the motorhome. I don't really want to drill a hole in my fiberglass roof, was thinking about maybe running the cable underneath and then up through the floor.
Looking for suggestions how other people have accomplished this?
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #2

Is this an antenna that has an integrated wifi relay and is connected by a network cable, or is it an external antenna booster connected by an antenna lead. If it is connected by an antenna lead you want to keep the lead as short as possible as the signal losses at wifi frequencies are VERY high per foot depending an the type of lead. If it is a network cable (with a phone jack style plug) then you have no practical length restrictions within the bounds of an RV size vehicle.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My antenna is mounted to the ladder. Cable comes down the ladder and under the rear of the coach, where it enters the side of a cargo bay. A hole from the top of the cargo bay brings the cable into a rear closet area. My router is mounted in the closet. No need to run a cable all the way to the front.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I tried running the cable down through the vent pipe, had to many elbows to allow the cable to flex down. now for another idea. ??
Old 04-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
My antenna is mounted to the ladder. Cable comes down the ladder and under the rear of the coach, where it enters the side of a cargo bay. A hole from the top of the cargo bay brings the cable into a rear closet area. My router is mounted in the closet. No need to run a cable all the way to the front.
Ditto
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your fridge has a vent on top of the MH then run it down the vent behind the fridge.
Another option is to run thru the rear end cap then down under the MH along the frame to one of the compartments to where there is some sort of inside access and fish up thru that.
All this take into account that you are running Ether net, Cat 5 or Cat 6 to the router.
Good luck and happy hunting
Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #7

a few years ago while getting ready for a long trip the backup camera went out. I determined the cable from the camera was bad. No time to run a new cable properly, so I simply ran the replacement cable along the outside trim using hot glue. Then taped off the exposed cable and used a can of spray paint to match the trim. Unless you looked closely it was not noticeable.

Returning from the trip I managed to thread the cable down from the center clearance light to the rear cargo area and then along the frame to the front.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I ran mine down thee air conditioning channel in the roof and out the air-conditioning unit. and mounted it to the air conditioning cover.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Think I have solved the problem. I ran it in the top corner of the slide and run wire behind the trim.
thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Tags
antenna