Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
Anti-sway bar or steering stabilizer on the front

I am looking into installing Roadmaster anti-sway bars on my 2016 Thor Chateau 31L (class C) with 2016 Ford E450 chassis.

The rear anti-sway is documented well on the Roadmaster site and will be having it ordered and installed at CW.

The front is the issue. There is no 2016 E450 listed on the Roadmaster website. Also, I am not sure whether I should be installing a front ant-sway bar or a front reflex steering stabilizer or both - once they finally list something for 2016.

Looking for any opinions on what to use on the front - anti-sway bar or steering stabilizer or both.

Thank you,

2016 Thor Chateau 31 L (class C)
jbrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A sway-bar upgrade will prevent body roll and reduce rebound after turns...nothing else.
A steering stabilizer will prevent steering wander on uneven roads and will auto center the wheel after turns and on uneven roads.

Both of these things will improve the handling of the RV. Just know that they do different things...so you can decide what you want to address in the suspension.

Easily the first and most important thing to check is tire pressure. Low pressure will cause wander and sway (plus odd tire wear). Pressure set too high will cause a hard ride and odd tire wear too.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
Thank you for the info. I will be looking at both front options once prices are known. Appreciate the reply.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #4
What problem are you trying to help?
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
If it doesn't already have it I would recommend looking at a rear track bar first. It will reduce the rear end from wagging around leading to over correction in steering when a semi passes or the wind gust or a road rut grabs you.

Seems like a lot of the issues people try and fix with sway bars and steering stabilizers are actually related to rear end play that the track bar does the best job with. After putting the rear track bar on mine I don't feel the need for a steering stabilizer or stiffer sway bars, while before it felt like I was fighting it all the way down the road.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
x2 on the track bar, whether a front or rear mount. I believe it will improve steering and handling far more than either a stabilizer (which I think the Ford already has) or heftier anti-sway bar.

But it really depends on what problem you are trying to solve. You can throw lots of money at suspension & steering without achieving much unless you have some specific goal in mind.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Trying to fix the need to constantly steer just a little back and forth - like the big cars from the 70s - feels like driving with a boat wheel. Also feel a lot of sway.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
My research and talking to a few shops known for what they are doing and not just throwing parts at a problem is in this order.
1. HAVE an alignment done. I know it's new, but first things first.
2. Track bar for rear, like the Tiger Track. This stops the rear from steering.
3. The steering stabilizer, like the Safey-T- Plus.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #9
Solo Rvers Club
X2 on what OLYLEN said above.

Have the alignment done by a company that is known to be good at it in your area.
2011 Four Winds Chateau 28A
Ford E350
2012 Honda CRV
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excessive front tire pressure is also a critical factor in steering wander. Too little pressure can give a wallowing sensation, especially in turns.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your MH may be a 2016 but your chassis may be a 2015. You may want to invest in Centramatic Wheel Balancers, they will make a big difference in the ride. A rear Panhard/Track bar may be in store also.
If you are on the West coast in Oregon then I would recommend Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc. as good place to start. They have a good reputation and will address your handling problems properly.
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
This is a interesting topic. I am also looking at various products to help calm the front end steering - basically constantly moving the steering wheel back and forth to keep the coach between the lines. I have gotten several recommendation for products to resolve my concerns.

1. Rear Ultratrac Trac Bar for my F53 (2015) 24-25k GVW - $500
2. Rear Anti-sway bar - $672.21
3. Koni Shocks - $640.00
4. Blue Ox Sway bar TH7217 - $436.07
5. Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer $40.00
Reflex Steering Stabilizer (RSSA) for basically $100.00

It appears based on the numerous posts you can spend a bunch of money or start with the RSSA for $100. If that does not do the trick than consider the Rear Ultratrac Trac Bar for $500.

As many people said on the site be careful because you could spend a boat-load of money for all kinds of stuff where one proper inexpensive item will fix the problem. Appreciate your input because I want to resolve this soon than later.

2016 Newmar - Canyon Star Model 3903

jryan39 is offline   Reply With Quote