RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 11:30 PM   #1

Any carbon block water filters suitable for a whole house filter?

In researching 10" x 2.5" water filters for the single water filter in my water bay I see the manufacturer's stated flow rate for carbon block filters is typically one gallon per minute. Some of the websites (like RV Water Filter Store) list higher flow rates but I prefer to rely on the manufacturer specs. Or should I?

We want to get away from using bottled water, so I will be eventually installing an under sink filter system for drinking water, but until then I'd like to get some feedback as to whether any of you are using a carbon block filter as your only filter and whether you're happy with the flow rate. I'm looking for something that in real world performance is closer to 2.5 gpm.
Thanks,
Bill

Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just get a whole house filter from Lowes/Home Depot and plumb it in. Higher flow usually means the filter passes larger particles so keep that in mind. You could put smaller filters under the sink for drinking water or get a RO system that makes a few gallons a day and go that way just for drinking water.

keymastr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Carbon block filters do not have the flow capacity necessary for whole-house filtering. We use the blue Camco in-line filter off the outside spigot to get rid of the big stuff. We have a high-quality 1/2 micron carbon block filter under the sink with a separate faucet that we use for all consumable water!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Carbon block filters do not have the flow capacity necessary for whole-house filtering. We use the blue Camco in-line filter off the outside spigot to get rid of the big stuff. We have a high-quality 1/2 micron carbon block filter under the sink with a separate faucet that we use for all consumable water!
Thanks. That's where the information has been leading me but I wanted to be sure there aren't any exceptions. The previous owner has a Watts Carbon block filter for the whole house which is giving us barely acceptable water pressure but I'm sure it needs to be changed. I'll go with low micron pleated polycarbonate sediment filter for now, then add an under sink unit with a separate drinking water faucet before our next big trip.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #5

I use this one as my first filter. It cleans up the big stuff (bigger than 25micron), is carbon and has KDF which will help remove lead and heavy metals. https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/B1001.htm

I then have a 1Micron washable, followed by a .5 micron carbon.
I always filter into my fresh water tank, so if it takes a little longer to fill up, no biggie. If I need to add bleach to keep the tank fresh I add it to an empty canister and make sure it the empty is the last in the chain before the tank - .5micron carbon removes chlorine, so I don't want it removed. Under the sink I have another .5micron carbon with KDF just before the dedicated water tap, which removes the chlorine before drinking.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I use this one as my first filter. It cleans up the big stuff (bigger than 25micron), is carbon and has KDF which will help remove lead and heavy metals. https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/B1001.htm

I then have a 1Micron washable, followed by a .5 micron carbon.
I always filter into my fresh water tank, so if it takes a little longer to fill up, no biggie. If I need to add bleach to keep the tank fresh I add it to an empty canister and make sure it the empty is the last in the chain before the tank - .5micron carbon removes chlorine, so I don't want it removed. Under the sink I have another .5micron carbon with KDF just before the dedicated water tap, which removes the chlorine before drinking.
Thanks. This is where specs vs. real world usage gets confusing. The Omni website shows that K5667 filter as having a 0.5 gpm flow rate, yet you're surely getting a much higher flow rate or you wouldn't be using that as your first filter. The RV Water Filter Store specs almost always contradict the manufacturer's website, but in this case it seems like their 3 gpm spec is closer to real world results.
Maybe the manufacturers specify ideal gpm for complete filtering, but the max flow rate is actually higher?
Old 08-31-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

So, I found that there are two different flow rates leading to some confusion, at least on my part.

The Service Flow Rate is the GPM (gallons per minute) at which the filter is most effective in terms of filtering out whatever elements the filter is designed for.
The Maximum Flow Rate is the maximum GPM you can push through the filter regardless of effectiveness.

When a manufacturer says 1 GPM, that is the flow rate at which the filter is designed to be most effective.
When the RV Water Filter Store site (as an example) says 3 GPM for the same filter, that is the Maximum flow rate that can be pushed through the filter, but it will not be as effective at that rate.

So my take is to look at the manufacturer specs (vs. 3rd party websites) in order to purchase a filter that will perform the stated level of filtration at the desired flow rate.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I disagree. I use a whole house carbon block filter from the RV Filter Store that has a flow rate of 3 gal per minute. No issues at all with coach water pressure.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use the Whirlpool premium Carbon 2-Pack Carbon Block Whole House water filter, purchased at Lowes or HD, in the water bay, and the Whirlpool refrigerator has a filter and I stick with the Mfg's recommendation.

For under the sink I use the 3M Aqua-Pure Under Sink Replacement water Filter - Model AP Easy Complete. This filter and outlet is separate from the standard water faucet and has a stand-alone dispenser.

We drink a lot of water and there has been no taste with our system. I change the filters every 6 months - approximately.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

I use the Clearsource filter set, a lot better flow than an inline filter. With a 5 micron sediment and a .5 carbon itís 6.5 gpm with a 40# pressure reducer.
No issues with water pressure at all.
https://www.clearsourcerv.com/collec...-filter-system
Old 09-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #11

As stated above, those filters will allow higher flow rates but are not as effective once the flow rate exceeds the manufacturer’s stated GPM, which is typically either 0.5 or 1.0 GPM.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
I disagree. I use a whole house carbon block filter from the RV Filter Store that has a flow rate of 3 gal per minute. No issues at all with coach water pressure.
As someone stated above, I think you will find that's the maximum flow rate at reduced effectiveness!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #13

Any carbon block water filters suitable for a whole house filter?

The Clearsource has oversized high flow canisters I was really suprised at the size and heft of this rv system. My TDS readings are good so as far as I can tell itís doing its job so far. I also have a whole house filter at home that uses the same size cartridges and a 4 stage Ro/Di system for my salt water reef aquarium so I monitor my water fairly closely.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
The Clearsource has oversized high flow canisters I was really suprised at the size and heft of this rv system. My TDS readings are good so as far as I can tell itís doing its job so far. I also have a whole house filter at home that uses the same size cartridges and a 4 stage Ro/Di system for my salt water reef aquarium so I monitor my water fairly closely.
I should have been more clear that I was responding to post #8. Yes, the manufacturer specified flow rate is higher for the larger filters.

Tags
water