Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Really interesting discussion. We usually cross to the U.S. twice a year and like TEDDE usually feel more than a little intimidated going into the U.S. and laugh at the ease of return. One February with our 5th wheel we were almost denied entry as we didn't have reservations for our Florida holiday. Another time I forgot two tomatoes in the fridge each with a "product of USA" sticker and they were confiscated with a warning. I think she wanted a toasted tomato for lunch. Another time at Toronto airport I almost put my foot in my big mouth when I laughed at the agent. He had demanded in a big loud voice "the purpose of our flight to Las Vegas". With the new increased limits of returning purchases last fall in Brockville the agent didn't even get off his chair. He just scanned our passports, gave the dog a treat and said "welcome home". I know they are doing a necessary and important job but some seem to enjoy terrorizing us old folks just a bit too much! Good links above. Enjoy your visit and I hope your border crossing is a good one.

oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post

How about you Americans? What if any hassel do you get returning back home??

Just curious
Ted
Circumstances have prevented us from visiting Canada for awhile, but when we used to cross the border we usually used the Blaine, Wa crossing. We had a large 5th wheel that needed 0ver 13' of clearance. As we approached the border crossing there were large signs stating "OVERHEAD CLEARANCE 12 FEET" and other signs stating "OVERSIZE VEHICLES USE RIGHT LANE" so, knowing that we could not fit under a 12 foot canopy I always headed over to the right lane, where there was no canopy over the little kiosk.

The first time we did that the US agent sitting in the booth gave me a stern look and barked "What are you doing in my lane?" I replied that my 13 foot tall trailer would not fit under a 12 foot awning so I obeyed the signs that said for oversize vehicles to use right lane. He was obviously upset and started on about how this lane was for commercial vehicles blah blah blah and told me to pull over in the inspection area. He actually had someone come out with a tape measure to see how tall we were (13' 3") and gave us a rather quick interior inspection - I was not allowed to enter our trailer while he was looking around, but from the door I saw him walk from one end to the other without touching anything.

After that I made a point of using that lane every time we passed through just to piss them off!

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #17

I'm confused. I clicked on the link that Skip426 gave. It says that if you're a US citizen, no passport is needed to enter Canada. You have to show proof of citizenship with a birth certificate or the like. We have passports, so it's not a problem. I thought passports were required now to enter. Am I wrong or am I reading it wrong?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
I'm confused. I clicked on the link that Skip426 gave. It says that if you're a US citizen, no passport is needed to enter Canada. You have to show proof of citizenship with a birth certificate or the like. We have passports, so it's not a problem. I thought passports were required now to enter. Am I wrong or am I reading it wrong?
Your are correct. US citizens DO NOT require a passport to enter Canada. Getting back into the US is a different matter.

Furthermore, if one has a Nexus card, or an enhaced DL, these can be used in both directions for US and Canadian citizens. To use a Nexus driving lane, all persons in the vehicle, must have a Nexus card.

Both my wife and myself have Nexus cards. We never have a problem in either direction be it in the RV, the car or by Air. And we cross the border a lot.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #19

Quote:
You , as an American citizen can enter Canada with proper picture I.D. but when you try to re-enter the U.S.A. your going to need a passport.
Is that International Co-operation or what.
Note : our Canadian Government web page may be a little slow with up-dates ; there have been several new X border agreements signed in the last few months; always bring your passport to get in and back out.
Note to self ; read all replies , before posting.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Furthermore, if one has a Nexus card, or an enhaced DL, these can be used in both directions for US and Canadian citizens. To use a Nexus driving lane, all persons in the vehicle, must have a Nexus card.

Both my wife and myself have Nexus cards. We never have a problem in either direction be it in the RV, the car or by Air. And we cross the border a lot.
Nexus is the way to go. They just wave you through, both ways.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #21

Okay, I'll bite. What's a Nexus card?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite. What's a Nexus card?
It's a card issued by the US Dept of Homeland Security (or the Canadian equivalent) which provides for expedited US/Canada border crossing. You have to go through an extensive application process including background checks and an interview to get one. information is here:

NEXUS Pass Application | US Immigration Visa & Travel
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #23

Thanks for the info. I guess the Nexus card is really for those who go back-and-forth often. Looks too detailed for our use, but I can see the value if you cross often.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take your NRA decals of off the RV, Leave your camouflaged hat and coat at home, do not bring the Gun Digest and other magazines and catalogs.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
Interesting.. I have the same experience going into Canada... We spent several years snowmobiling in Canada, often spending upwards of $10k per person (3-6 people per trip). The last sled trip into Canada, the border aholes thought it would be fun to rip apart our truck, trailer, snowmobiles, and bags. Didn't find so much as a cigarette butt. They spent 3 hrs going through our stuff. Left it all ripped apart.

One of my buddies asked "what are you looking for?" The border cop pulled his gun and pointed it his face point blank and said "whatever we want".

Needless to say, we packed up all our crap, turned around and came back into the US. Spent that trip touring Maine on snowmobiles.

Haven't been back to Canada since (this was 10 yrs ago) and don't plan on it any time soon.

Mal
Great story, but until about two years ago, Canadian borders guards weren't armed!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
We are likely going to be taking our motorhome on a car ferry to Canada (BC) for a short trip in August (ferry can support height and weight). We are leaving the toad/dinghy at home.

For those that have crossed into Canada recently with their rig - Are there any special considerations that I need to think about with crossing the border in our RV? I've crossed in a passenger car several times over the years.

I expect to need to get a letter from our insurance to cover it crossing the border per talking to an insurance agent.

Passports of course.

Any other items that should not be present in the rig to make for an easier border crossing and US return? (We don't carry firearms, fireworks, or pepper spray). For example, any camping items that pose issues (lighter fluid, etc).

Any unique issues with crossing to Vancouver island vs Mainland? Any Vancouver area or island requirements about turning off propane? (Tunnels, etc)

Thanks!
You've got the basics down (passport to get home, no guns etc etc.) Booze and tobacco within the limits, tell them what's in the fridge if they ask and they'll tell you if it can't come in. Don't know about pets if you have them (you'll need to look up those rules elsewhere). Propane must be turned off on the ferry (both Washington State and BC Ferries).

Nowadays, in our "big brother" world of data sharing, if you have outstanding legal issues or past felony convictions the border folks will know about it and you may be denied entrance to Canada.

All that said, for the vast majority of US RV'ers, entrance to Canada is a pretty routine event.

I believe Washington State ferries is still running a promotion that gets you 50% off for RV's. If coming to Vancouver Island, Anacortes, WA to Sydney, BC is a great deal.

Come on up,
tfw
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #27

I would also like to know about any food items prohibited...? vegtables, etc
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I've never had any. Never really a bad experience going over either.

One time, many many years ago there were 6 of us on motorcycles going on a camping trip around Lake Superior. Other than being on motorcycles, we appeared like anyone else at the time.... Except for J.P. He had longer hair and a huge bushey beard. He was turned at the border because he was an 'undesireable' in Canada. That of course ticked us all off and wasn't about to let JP go 600mi back home by himself. So we all turned around and spent all our money in the U.P. of Michigan.
Driving drunk conviction record????

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote