Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

Any hydraulic pump experts?

Hoping for a little help with some knowledge regarding hydraulic pumps. I am very handy but have never worked with hydraulics.

A little over a year ago I blew out a gear in the Power Gear hydraulic pump. I am told that the pump is discontinued with no parts available. I have seen used units for $650 and could probably get a new replacement upwards of $1400.

I am just wondering if it's possible to use a generic pump even if I wouldn't be able to control individual legs ( thinking I could use blocks to get it level )

I am just not sure what specs are going to be required to lift about 20000 lbs. here is an inexpensive pump I am wondering if I could modify it to operate my jacks and would it lift the weight?

Appreciate any assistance or opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1489714804.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	49241   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4160692251.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	49246  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-507370435.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	49247   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-109518828.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	49248  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #2

You will need to operate individual jacks can you not just replace to pump and keep the solenoid valves in tacked.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would try a good machine shop they may be able to rebuild the part.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Wonder is these folks have what you need: Power Gear leveling jacks Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | Visone RV, RV Salvage Parts, Motorhome Repairable Wrecks, Used RV Parts Monaco, Prevost, Allegro, Holiday Rambler, Alfa, RV Junk Yard - Dismantler , visonerv.com
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
You will need to operate individual jacks can you not just replace to pump and keep the solenoid valves in tacked.
Thanks Tha_Rooster

I hadn't thought about incorporating those on the new pump but that leaves the question of weather or not this unit will lift the coach
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I would try a good machine shop they may be able to rebuild the part.
Thanks dabrooks

I thought that would be a solution as well but have tried several shops that said it was hardened steel that couldn't be replicated and would take a lot of man hours ( like $1000 worth )
I have had at a hydraulic repair place for over a month and I think they have sent it out to a shop that has had a couple of failed attempts so not looking good there.

Also by the time I have torn the whole thing apart I am not to terribly confident about getting the whole thing working again by just replacing the gear.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #7

Thanks Ray,IN

I will take closer look at that site tomorrow but the used ones I have seen are around $600 and almost as much to ship to Canada and then I am not sure of their reliability and probably have little recourse if they didn't work as advertised
Old 11-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #8

IMHO you're going at this from the wrong angle.

Take the OEM unit to a good hydraulics shop. There's no way somebody had your pump custom built, it's off the shelf stuff from somebody and a good shop can either come up with a replacement or parts for it.

I've run into the same problem with other equipment, OEM parts are outsourced parts then they double the price and add 20% for good measure.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

The pump you listed wouldn't lift your motor home, not enough pressure and 1 gpm would take forever when split over the 4 cylinders. I'd even wonder if the reservoir was big enough.

Murf2u has the best idea, take it to a someone who knows hydraulics, there isn't anything unique about most RV parts except the price.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #10

Thanks Murf2u

I have taken it to taken it to a shop that specializes in hydraulic repairs and service and they indicted that it wouldn't have any problems finding a solution but it's been there almost two months. Maybe will have try another shop

Thank you Argosy

This is the info I was hoping for.

What sort of specs should I be looking for?

Would 2 of these pumps possibly work? Maybe separate the left and right jacks
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddinmad40 View Post
Thanks Murf2u

I have taken it to taken it to a shop that specializes in hydraulic repairs and service and they indicted that it wouldn't have any problems finding a solution but it's been there almost two months. Maybe will have try another shop

Thank you Argosy

This is the info I was hoping for.

What sort of specs should I be looking for?

Would 2 of these pumps possibly work? Maybe separate the left and right jacks
Quadinmadd40,
I definitely like your attitude. It sure "irks" me when components of an RV, that is not very old, are now "OUT OF DATE PRODUCTION" items If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing the EXACT same thing. I'd be looking for a local solution. But, I've been known to "Step outside the box" for most of my life. And, by the way, it has been suggested that the pump you're considering, will not "Power up" 4 cylinders at one time. I'm not sure about all motor homes but, I've never in my life, seen all four leveling jacks go down at one time. I guess it could happen but, never seen it.

99.99% of the time, only two go down at one time to achieve stages of leveling. Anyway, I'd be willing to try just about anything that even remotely makes sense. So, I'd do the best to find out what kind of performance specs were on the original pump and, then try and find something that comes close in the same specs. I'm thinking that if you find one that's close or, possibly even exact, you may have to remote mount it and have a high pressure hose made to link it to the original manifold.

Much of this is guessing on my part right now as I've not encountered the problem you're having. It's just an approach I might take. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #12

Thanks for the support FIRE UP

I haven't had much luck finding any specs for the original system which is a POWER GEAR 500278. If any one has any knowledge of the specs for that unit.

My fallback if I can't figure out the hydraulic system may be to use floor jacks on the pads or mount some bottle jacks to levelers but it would be nice to have a more automated system
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

Check for amps and pressure and knowing that you can match a kit.
Trailer builders use these pumps for dump hoists and might also be better quality. Valve banks might be adapted.

Did that often in my past career.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
And, by the way, it has been suggested that the pump you're considering, will not "Power up" 4 cylinders at one time. I'm not sure about all motor homes but, I've never in my life, seen all four leveling jacks go down at one time. I guess it could happen but, never seen it.
It doesn't really matter if it's one at a time or 4 at a time, it's going to work out the same. 1 gpm is only going to move a piston a certain distance. If it will move 1 cylinder 10 inches in a minute it will move 2 cylinders 5 inches, or 4 cylinders 2 1/2 inches. If all cylinders have to move a total of 48 inches to level it doesn't matter what combination you use to do it. The problem is the flow is too low to level in a reasonable time.

The best bet would be to go to the shop with the pump and tell them you need the pump, can they get the parts or a new pump. If they say no I would try somewhere else. It's going to be a lot easier to repair what you've got than start adapting, and probably cheaper in the long run. A bare pump isn't that expensive.

If you have to start from scratch and get a new pump and motor, because the cylinders are a relatively small diameter for the load you need a high pressure pump, WAG around 2800 to 3,000 lbs. Higher gpm will work faster, but the motor power will limit the actual flow. If the motor you have now has the HP (or a current rating on a tag you can figure horse power) that will give you an idea of the pressure and flow it's capable of providing so you can get something close.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote