Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Campfires are not too bad. I was once across from someone that had a smoldering fire all day fed with his trash.He stayed inside except to feed the fire.
Why do people do that? burn trash I mean. nothing is worse smelling than burning trash.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
A good product for odors is "Ozuim" just like febreeze it works.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I wonder how long it will be before someone finds out what chemicals are actually in Fabreeze that combined as they are nullify our olfactory glands?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HUH?

Mike
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #47
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I am a project manager at a restoration company. Typically when we get put on a fire, we have a few things to take care of. Depending on the severity, a few things will be required. The following will be a guide for all members when they have a fire whether in their RV, or in their house. Smoke from a campfire should be relatively minor and normally looked after by airing the RV out by opening doors and windows and with the use of fans to move fresh air around for natural ozination. Possibly some Ozoning by an Ozone Generator may be required in more severe cases.

In the worst case:

Smoke will carry a residue so all hard surfaces need to be cleaned with a degreaser. If soot is present, do not ever just use water, as it will set the stain. This type of degreasing product can be gotten from a janitorial supply store such as ZEP or Janitors Warehouse. They are typically a concentrate, so ask on the proper mix. It is typically a scented product. All soft material surfaces need to be steam cleaned such as carpets, upolstery, furniture etc. Any clothing, drapes, towels etc, should either be drycleaned or washed, depending on their manufacture requirements. Once you have this portion of the battle looked after, you address any remaining odor issues. Smoke particulate is so small, it permeates into every possible oriface. In order to combat this, you have to use a deodorizer that can follow the same path. Our main equipment of choice is Ozoning. You have to be very careful with the use of Ozone. This process is best left to professionals as commercial Ozone Generators can be very harmful to pets, plants and people and in the case of an RV, to any latex used in it's manufacture if exposed to extreme ozination for a long period. It deteriorates latex. If you are going to use this type of generator, set it up with a fan to move the ozone around and help it permeate where smoke has gone. Try it in 8 hour increments, then shut the machine off, leave the fan running to air out for a while and open windows and doors. Do not spend any length of time in there till about an hour of airing out has been done.

When in doubt though....Always ask a professional. Most Restoration contractors are willing to discuss your situation and give advise.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
A campfire burning wood is one thing, but when plastic and garbage hit the fire it's a whole different ballgame. We won't stay at a friend's favorite campground for just that reason. No trash dumpsters are provided, so the "Sunday pack and go" ritual for most campers is to toss their garbage in the fire ring and head for home. Now that's a smell that will upset most anyone down wind. Burning plastic also releases chemicals that are not good to breathe or for the environment.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I wonder how long it will be before someone finds out what chemicals are actually in Fabreeze that combined as they are nullify our olfactory glands?
"Ingredients/Chemical Name: Water, alcohol, odor eliminator derived from corn, fragrance"

http://lakeland.edu/AboutUs/MSDS/PDFs/215/Febreze.pdf
Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #50

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
...To answer the question, try Fabreeze. I used it to get rid of tabacco smoke in a used car I bought., and it worked great !!
I tried Febreze on a year old truck I bought. I saturated the upholstery, carpet, and headliner with the stuff and still couldn't get rid of the tobacco smoke stench. I had to get rid of the truck. In all fairness, that is the only time Febreze didn't work for me.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #51

If I complain about campfire smoke getting into my MH, other people tell me to move if I don't like it. The wind does not blow the say direction all the time.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If I complain about campfire smoke getting into my MH, other people tell me to move if I don't like it. The wind does not blow the say direction all the time.
Thats what I do; but sometimes you can't and then you just suffer or leave.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #53

for odors we use the customary fabreeze for cloth surfaces. for air purification we are very basic...three containers (front, middle and rear of the coach) filled one third with regular kingsford charcoal topped with enough baking soda to look like a snow fell on them. very effective. no residual problems. give it a go.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #54

I am new to the RV, but I dont get the complaining about RV campground neighbors. Come on... You are in a trailer park! Start it up and move to another one if you dont liek the neighbors
Old 11-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
I am new to the RV, but I dont get the complaining about RV campground neighbors. Come on... You are in a trailer park! Start it up and move to another one if you dont liek the neighbors
Now there is some sound advice.
If the smoke is blowing north, drive south.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Doug, Part of camping is a bon fire...right? I guess BBQ'g is not an acceptable practice either? Your neighbors might not like your diesel smell exhaust or the color of your coach as well!

Why has this world turned into "its all about me and only me"??? What has happened to our society???

Back to the OP's question......fresh air and or the ionic air filters. A few hours of campfire smoke should not have penetrated anything to the point that a few hours of fresh air won't cure the odor.
Unfortunately people like to complain, camp fires and smoke is part of camping. Next thing you know someone wont like the tent a few sites down because it dosent look good near their $100,000 rig.

Come on this is camping, you know the outdoors, smoke, bugs, leaves, kids, dogs, squirrels.

zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell