Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #1

Any input appreciated on possible purchase

Hi newbie here

Have a complicated situation, trying to trade an old TT I inherited and my hole in the water in which I dump money(boat).
I have found a RV Dealer that will take both and actually gave me good prices for both and says the numbers won't change regardless of the unit I pick.

The two I am most interested in right now are
2015 Coachmen Leprechaun 320BH on Chevy platform 19,000 miles

or

2012 Coachmen Mirada SE 31DF ford platform with 10,000 miles

both are $62,000

Still waiting for the snow to melt to drive both. I like both floorplans and I am sure either would work for the family Myself, wife, son 12, daughter 9 and our yellow lab, and terrier mix.

Just curious to hear if anyone owns these, opinions on them, pro or cons etc

Thanks so much
jspilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #2

I looked at several used Coachmen A's last year at private parties and consignment dealerships and found them all to have very expensive problems. While researching the brand, found that they don't have a very good reputation and tend to fall apart quickly. With four humans and two pets, I'd suggest you look for something that has a better reputation for reliability.

Monaco, Journey, Bounder, come to mind. But reliability also depends on the year of manufacture so try to learn all you can about the models you like in your price range by searching here and on RV dot net. I know from experience that it can be overwhelming and research is boring, but it sure helps when you make a trip to a dealer or visit a neighbors rig up for sale.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I don't know anything about those rigs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I'd suggest you look for something that has a better reputation for reliability.

Monaco, Journey, Bounder, come to mind. But reliability also depends on the year of manufacture so try to learn all you can about the models you like in your price range by searching here and on RV dot net. I know from experience that it can be overwhelming and research is boring, but it sure helps when you make a trip to a dealer or visit a neighbors rig up for sale.
I would certainly put NEWMAR up there at the head of the list. They are build by an Amish company in Indiana. I've had one for nearly 15 years and it is a jewel. Of course everyone has their own favorites, but I researched brands for a number of years before I bought my used Newmar Dutch Star, and I have not been disappointed.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
I would certainly put NEWMAR up there at the head of the list. They are build by an Amish company in Indiana. I've had one for nearly 15 years and it is a jewel. Of course everyone has their own favorites, but I researched brands for a number of years before I bought my used Newmar Dutch Star, and I have not been disappointed.
I had Newmar on my list 2 years ago when I was looking to buy, but had forgotten. There's another brand but I also forget what it is. I had 5 brands to look for back then.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

So much depends on budget.
But I would agree with those that recommend looking at older high quality MHs than newer low end.
It will take more time & effort to find one in good shape that has been maintained but can be worth the effort.
We love our new to us Newmar Ventana. If you are considering DPs read up on the Newmar Comfort Drive...it is a very nice feature... more than just advertising hype IMO
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

I would choose Chevy over Ford any day of the week. I've had both. On my 1996 Ford the steering/hydraulic hydroboost pump was bad and you can not buy a replacement. What kind of product support is that? My only option was to send it in for a rebuild.
geraldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #8

I agree with the suggestion of looking at older higher end coaches. Mid 2000's, before the economic calamity, was a time when build quality was superior to many new coaches today. Units that sold for $300K or more back then can be found in your price range. There is no comparison to what is currently on your list.

There will be problems with a 12 year old coach just as there will be with a 3-5 year old one, or even one that is new.

I would caution working with a dealer. They will tell you the rig is perfect, everything has been taken care of, it's like new, etc. Yet they most likely will have no service records to back up their claims. It will take some effort to find a private party with a coach that meets your needs and you will have to sell the TT and boat on your own. By doing this you will find many more options from which to choose and end up with a higher quality coach for the money.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase