Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Most threads so far have asked who uses the Safe T Plus and who uses the Steer Safe. Some of said they had problems with the springs coming off the Steer Safe. I believe most of those were caused by improper instal. When talking to Chris at Henderson's about his Super Steer rear trac bar, the comparison of the Steer Safe and Safe T Plus came up in the conversation. Chris claimed that the steer safe will cause premature wearing of the ball joints. This is the first time I heard this. Has anyone experienced that? And I still dont understand the difference between the two units. Why would I want to pay more for the Safe T Plus than the Steer Safe?
Mike

'03 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Ford chassis and '00 Saturn LS tagging along

ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Most threads so far have asked who uses the Safe T Plus and who uses the Steer Safe. Some of said they had problems with the springs coming off the Steer Safe. I believe most of those were caused by improper instal. When talking to Chris at Henderson's about his Super Steer rear trac bar, the comparison of the Steer Safe and Safe T Plus came up in the conversation. Chris claimed that the steer safe will cause premature wearing of the ball joints. This is the first time I heard this. Has anyone experienced that? And I still dont understand the difference between the two units. Why would I want to pay more for the Safe T Plus than the Steer Safe?
Mike

'03 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Ford chassis and '00 Saturn LS tagging along

ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ISLAPP:
When talking to Chris at Henderson's about ... the comparison of the Steer Safe and Safe T Plus came up in the conversation ... I still don't understand the difference between the two units. Why would I want to pay more for the Safe T Plus than the Steer Safe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike, We don't see many 35U owners making suspension mods however about the Safe-T-Plus let me say this. It's a single piece unit with no exposed parts other than the barrel of the device. The technology behind the STP is that equal force is applied on a central point of the device. Once the steering gear is centered and the STP zeroed out, the STP holds the steering gear in a straightforward position. The STP reduces driver fatigue, and provides a measure of safety in the event of a blowout.

I can't speak about the Steer Safe other than noting the exposed springs and the mounting position on the front suspension just doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the device.

The STP costs more, much more but I like the technology much better, the fact that the unit is sealed and looks like a huge blue shock absorber and that it acts on a mid stream point on the drag link just alludes to me that it's a much more serious device.

Theoretically it would seem that both devices do the same thing.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 " 22.5" Tire " Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will " 343 " Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 " Robert Yates Racing " 38
</font color>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:03 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the Steer Safe installed on my previous coach and it did a nice job improving the wander,truck slipstream etc. Had it for two years with no problem.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #5

islapp,have the steer safe on my '02 dutch star with the w22 chassis.have 18k plus miles,no problems.hope this help,happy rving
Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've always wondered if both of these units would not shorten the life of the power steering pump somewhat, but have never heard of a complaint about this. With either unit, the power steering unit has to continually work extra hard to overcome the centering action. The pump in my 96 Southwind (Ford chassis) used to groan about it after the S-T-P was installed. Always got the job done, though.

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - W22 chassis
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4WD
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary B:
I've always wondered if both of these units would not shorten the life of the power steering pump somewhat, but have never heard of a complaint about this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary B, I'm thinking that the pump is doing very little work 70%-80% of the time. Modern power steering pumps give you more pressure the furthur you go in the turn and I don't think, as you have stated, that the pumps are suffering too much by adding the steering devices that we are talking about.

I believe that we would have read something about this earlier on therefore I don't see it as something to overly concern ourselves with.

What in my opinion might shorten power steering pumps, et al steering gear, is when folks don't treat motorhomes as 20,000 vehicles and just sit there and crank in a lot of steering input standing still.

It's always better to release the brake and to be rolling in one direction or another while steering.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 " 22.5" Tire " Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will " 343 " Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 " Robert Yates Racing " 38
</font color>
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed Steer Safe in June just before a 4300 mile trip to the Southwest, and I did not notice any difference at all! I regret the investment.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Ribbon:
I installed Steer Safe in June just before a 4300 mile trip to the Southwest, and I did not notice any difference at all! I regret the investment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Blue Ribbon, I have always recommended that an owner should wait a few months perhaps as much as a year like I did before considering add on performance items so that you can get acclimated to how the motorhome drives before you consider adding after market products.

I was very pleased with the new 2005 W24 I took out for a ride last January and I would be hard pressed to say that it needed any help. Now if I had more seat time in a 2005 I might change my mind however I would have done so after accumulating a few thousand miles of operation.

I would encourage folks to sit tight and wait and get more experience before considering suspension upgrades too quickly.

I have to admit that you certainly did some research on this since you brought up a post that was written in Feb of 2004.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a Safe T Plus on our 2000 Ford for 54,000 miles, no problems
Old 08-11-2005, 03:38 AM   #11

Mike, I first installed the Safe-T-Plus on my 2000 Ford F-53 and saw little if any advantage having it. I'm not sure what year Ford changed over to the Bilstein shocks, but at 17,000 miles I changed out the stock shocks for the Bilstein shocks. Day and night change in handling.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote