Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #85

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
It's generally part of the deed restrictions one agrees to at the time of closing.

Rusty
THanks,, I wondered about that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wayne, the Title company is supposed to have the CC&R's available at closing....a few do. This is one thing we always ask to get a copy of before we get to serious about an area.

Ken

Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #87

Don;t like your HOA telling you to water your grass; or to get rid of your RV.------Dig your yard up and plant a garden; Mrs. Obama did. worked for me. tomatoes and peppers; there is nothing like something fresh out of your very own garden. Florida passed a new law that allows the homeowner to plant native things in his yard and the HOA can't do a thing about it.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #88

My winter crop is comming along nicely; the tomatoes are up to about 8 inches now, (I plant from seeds) and the peppers are up to about 6 inches, the lettice is just beginning to come up. Isn't it great to have a home in Florida?
My cucumber seeds will go in the ground soon.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
We live in an area governed by HOA rules. In our prior neighborhood the rule was parking an RV on the street is limited to 72 hours. We moved a year ago and in this neighborhood we are limited to 2 hours for the purpose of loading or unloading. We didn't have an RV when we moved here. I spoke to an attorney and he said that HOA rules are even stronger than city and county laws. They cannot be fought with success. We can only hope that someone with an RV gets on the board and then the rules may change.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
We live in an area governed by HOA rules. In our prior neighborhood the rule was parking an RV on the street is limited to 72 hours. We moved a year ago and in this neighborhood we are limited to 2 hours for the purpose of loading or unloading. We didn't have an RV when we moved here. I spoke to an attorney and he said that HOA rules are even stronger than city and county laws. They cannot be fought with success. We can only hope that someone with an RV gets on the board and then the rules may change.
First question:
After liveing in an HOA, noing the restrictions; then making the same mistake and moveing into another HOA with restrictions; makes no sence to me; I live in a HOA area and would never move into another. Why would you ever move into another community with an HOA?
That said;
This is what my attorney has to say about HOA and their restrictions:
The HOA-----MUST----follow______ALL-----the restrictions; and that means-----ALL----the restrictions. If they don't enforce even one restriction, and try to enforce the restriction on your motorhome, its called selective enforcement and won't hold up in court.
Get a copy of the restrictions, drive around the neighbohood and see if all the restrictions are being inforced, if not take pictures get adresses and make sure you get dates. Send a copy to the Association with the notice that they cannot select what rules they enforce; remind them that it won;t hold up in court.

Works for me
My cucumber seeds are in the ground.
An addm:
your permited pets in my sudivision; I passed the word around that if the HOA bothered me I would get a couple of pet chickens and build a chicken pen and put it in my front yard.
That gave them something to think about.
I've lived in my home for nearly 40 years; I don't take their bull; theres more than one way to skin a cat.
I park my motorhome beside my home.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #91

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Selective enforcement", eh? Can your attorney give you some case law that you could pass on to us?

It would be discrimination not to enforce all the HOA rules equally.

Good post
Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
"Selective enforcement", eh? Can your attorney give you some case law that you could pass on to us?

It would be discrimination not to enforce all the HOA rules equally.

Good post
Sorry can't give case law; just repeating what my attorney told me; I just assume he knows what hes talkin about.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Here in Vegas there are people we can hire to convince our HOA's to see things our way
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Here in Vegas there are people we can hire to convince our HOA's to see things our way
HOAs have more power than the local governments; why they have so much power is beyond me.
I've often wondered how they got this much power; when they are run by people that haven't a clue about the laws.
They can make up most any rule they want, then enforce it. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
They can make up most any rule they want, then enforce it.
Really? Modification of the deed restrictions in our subdivision requires a majority vote of the affected section(s) - we have 16 sections in our 2,650 home subdivision.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #96

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I's about the "contract"..

When you buy, you are provided a copy of the "Rules and CCRs", by continuing the purchase of the home, you are entering into a "contract" twith the HOA, agreeing to abide by those rules....

As others have said, you can fight (on numerous grounds) and most likely win, (if you are in the right), but it is so expensive and time consuming to fight, that most just "give in".

Takes a "special" kind of person to comit to a costly and time consuming fight, that really isn't one of the "important things" in life, you have to be a real "idealist" to do so.

JMCO
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Really? Modification of the deed restrictions in our subdivision requires a majority vote of the affected section(s) - we have 16 sections in our 2,650 home subdivision.

Rusty
Not in mine---all they need to do is hava a board meeting (5 members) and away they go. Only thing is they can't make them retroactive to an earlier date.
As to fighting them; yes you can win but you have to remember that its you against all of them; also its your money their using to fight you.
Attorneys love these kinds of battles.
There was a homeowner in Tampa that ran up a $100,000 bill fighting the HOA over his yard being brown.
My method works better; learn the rules, then use them to agravate the heck out of them, they will soon get the message;
thats why I have dug up my yard and planted a garden; nothing in the deed restrictions against it; new Florida law says that you can make your yard native and the HOA can not do anything.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #98

Workhorse Chassis Owner
robert h:

Why not do some good and pay your attorney (what, 15 minutes @ $200/hr) to send you some case law references?

I'll bet someone on this board will send you reimbursement because they will be so happy to get some ammunition.

(We have CC&R's here but there is no formal or even informal, association or board or anything, to enforce infractions. We have a metal RV shed (gasp!) and the CC&R's specify wood stick built sheds. When we moved here, I asked as many neighbors as I could find if they had objections. None did. The one guy I missed, gave me grief and threatened to call a lawyer. He did not and this was 3 years ago. There are other neighbors that have boats, cargo containers and canvas/pole RV covers which are in violation of CC&R's.)