Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Anyone change the tv location from below the dash to above the dash???

Our daughter and son-in-law own a lovely 2000 (or is it 2001?) Windsport - 35 footer. A couple of years ago they replaced the old tube TV with a new tube TV/DVD that fit perfectly in the opening BELOW the dash where the old TV was located. This eliminated having to find a spot for a digital converter. Now they are considering putting a satelitte dome on the roof and would like to mount a new larger LCD TV ABOVE the dash, as in our Fleetwood Providence. There's plenty of space in the cabinets above the dash for the Dish Network receiver and DVD player, but how can they mount a TV? The overhead cabinets don't seem strong enough?? There doesn't seem to be any support - such as wood framing or metal framing. Has anyone done this before? What did you do with the empty spot BELOW the dash where the old TV was? Is there some place you can purchase a nice oak cabinet that would fit in the open space? They like the TV upgrades we've done to our motorhome and are trying to keep theirs updated as well.
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You bring up some great points about the overhead structure being able to carry the weight. I would definitely want some very thorough research done before the upgrade is made.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We agree!! There doesn't seem to be a good spot under any cabinet or on any wall either?? We're hoping that someone else out there has figured it out.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pictures?

Here are a couple pictures of the front of their coach -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front 1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	3023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front 3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	3024  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front 4.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	3027  
Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We relocated, and replaced our overhead tube TV with a nice LCD flat screen that is now behind the passenger seat on a cabinet on the outside wall of our RV. We find it is a lot more practical in this location. May not work for all floor plans.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I think I would be interested in seeing the mid-section of their coach. I do not see how they can do what they want to with that setup.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
We relocated, and replaced our overhead tube TV with a nice LCD flat screen that is now behind the passenger seat on a cabinet on the outside wall of our RV. We find it is a lot more practical in this location. May not work for all floor plans.

Dieselclacker
This is the way I think I am going to go when I replace my tv above. Our main seating area is in the slide and not the best viewing for the tv in the above cabnet. I plan on putting in one of those small fireplaces (elec) and sitting it on top of it. i don't know how the lay out is in your rv, but I would take a look at this option.
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
They actually thought about relocating the TV in the cabinet above the rocker (behind the passenger seat), but it would partially block that window?? How do you get around that? I'll ask my son-in-law to send more pics of the mid section.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
They actually thought about relocating the TV in the cabinet above the rocker (behind the passenger seat), but it would partially block that window?? How do you get around that? I'll ask my son-in-law to send more pics of the mid section.

In my particular case, I removed the rocker, and installed a 24 inch tall by 6 inch deep cabinet on the floor with the TV on top. It does partially obstruct the window in this configuration. The window in our case is rather small and really of no use. Our seating configuration with the couch in the slide out, and the drivers seat swiveled to face the TV makes for much more comfortable viewing than the original overhead TV placement offered.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my A the window behind the drivers seat doesn't open. It is one of the smaller one and will not cause me a problem. I wouldn't think a tv at veiwing height would be a problem in front of a window anyway...
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #11

Drop down LCD

One option would be to install a drop down LCD TV on the ceiling in front of your cabinets. The TVs are built for use in vans and run on 12 VDC. You can get units up to 22” in size. You can find these units on EBay for a decent price.

I got one from EBay and have installed it in my RV. I am happy with the outcome. I plan to build a cabinet with slide out drawers to fill the opening where the CRT TV was located. I will post photos as I build and install the cabinet. I will post them as soon as that part of the project is completed. I will get some shots of the TV and post them. In the meantime here is a link to see what the TV looks like.
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=14415&cat=500
ArTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #12

Drop down LCD installed in 1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer

Here is the Drop down 22" LCD Monitor I installed in my coach.

ArTravler is offline   Reply With Quote