Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #1

Anyone ever replace their electric awning with manual?

Our electric awning works ok but the fabric needs replacing. Got an estimate of $895 in Palm Springs which seems high to me. In all honesty, I would prefer to have a manual awning as it's just more flexible IMO. I also worry about the motor needing replacement down the road. I also do not like the auto wind sensor as I often have things hanging from the awning and always end up disconnecting the power.

On our older Bounder, which came from the factory without an awning, we had a complete Carefree manual awning installed down in San Diego in 2015 for $700 cash.

Am I nuts to want to go back to a manual??

Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post

Am I nuts to want to go back to a manual??
No, you're not!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #3

No, you are not nuts. I'm with you. Ours came with electric also, and has been reliable....so far. But I would have preferred a manual awning.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #4

Removed my broken electric awning when having the rv painted. I put on manual. I wish I would not have even bothered at with it. No awning is easier.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #5

Manual is the way to go.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #6

I have both Weatherpro and Oasis Elite electric awnings. Already replaced the motor in the Weatherpro and today the clutch assembly on the Oasis just went today! I'm an RV tech so I replaced myself.
I would not mind going back to manual awnings!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On our last Motorhome, the Carefree motor for the main awning gave up the ghost. I searched for its replacement on the internet and with calls to the company. Not available any more. Really?? How about supporting your product! Anyway, I replaced the arms with manual arms and couldn't have been happier. A manual awning is the best. You can "lean" it into the wind.
dverstra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #8

Power

When we ordered our Winnebago we did not order the power awining and the dealer put on a manual one. We go to Myrtle Beach and I like to tie down mine with the ocean breeze. We have people in our WIT club that have the power ones and if there is any wind they do not put their,s out.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct78barnes View Post
When we ordered our Winnebago we did not order the power awining and the dealer put on a manual one. We go to Myrtle Beach and I like to tie down mine with the ocean breeze. We have people in our WIT club that have the power ones and if there is any wind they do not put their,s out.
Is there any reason why you can't tie down an electric awning? Is that only possible with a manual awning?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Is there any reason why you can't tie down an electric awning? Is that only possible with a manual awning?
While I prefer a manual to my power awning, I do tie down my awning down on occasion. Since I have a wind sensor, I just unplug the power to my awning control box.

Since I really need to replace the fabric to my power awning at a cost which is around $850, I could probably have an entire new manual installed for that price. I would probably just remove my existing awning myself.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
We will tie down our A&E Weatherpro. The control box for the awning has a wind sensor on/off switch. We would simply just switch it off when tied down but now the wind sensor croaked so we leave the switch in the off position.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #12

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
When we got our rig we thought "Oh Boy! That's cool "
Still works great, but I do miss the old manual for all of the stated reasons.
If the motor dies, it will be GONE!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #13

I'd suggest you look at / consider an A&E manual.
I have one...never a problem. A friend had Care Free and found they will not sell parts had to buy complete arm assemblie$... could not replace 1-2 bad parts...he bought a couple used A&E arms and converted.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a one touch electric (no wind sensor) on my 2003 HR. Having some trouble with it and can't wait to go back with a manual which will be soon.

My manuals on previous RV's I could always lower it to block out sun, wind and plus safely tie it down and leave it without to much worry. The current electric comes out at one level. Worthless to me. I do have some older friends that love the convenience of simply pushing the button in or out and I understand that but I like to be outside when possible and like the manual for the above stated reasons.

I understand I can simply replace the arms to accomplish this (the material is in good shape). So, we will see.

Tags
ace, awning, manual, replace