Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #15

Hey guys? Just to head off any problems. Let's try to help these people with carefully thought out advice. I don't want to see this turn into a RV.net, "my coach manufacturer would never make one like that, or here we go again with Damon". This may or may not be a serious problem that will need some serious help to get resolved. I have been doing RV inspections off and on for years and I have been asked to inspect a defectively made coach twice. Both times the coaches were Beavers. One a Patriot Thunder ($450,000), the other a Santium. Both coaches went to litigation with the manufacturer and the dealer. Both were finally resolved but it took much work. Both were eventually resolved to the owners satisfaction. My point? Every manufacturer can let one out that shouldn't be.
I'm not saying that this will be the case but there may be a problem that needs to be fixed by the manufacturer. In every case like this, the people are looking for advice and support.
Let's try to keep this helpful and kind.
We have a good reputation of being just that!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #16

Although this might not pertain to this tread, all class A motorhomes need to be aligned when they are new. I'm not sure about other manufactures but Ford does not cover this. The excuse the chassis manufactures use is they don't know how the MH manufacture is going to load it so they don't do it and the MH manufacture uses the same excuse... they don't know how you are going to load it. Right or wrong this is the way it is, I almost wore out my two front tires before I realized this. So if you have a new MH, get it aligned.

Sam

Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been doing RV inspections off and on for years and I have been asked to inspect a defectively made coach twice. Both times the coaches were Beavers. One a Patriot Thunder ($450,000), the other a Santium. Both coaches went to litigation with the manufacturer and the dealer. Both were finally resolved but it took much work. Both were eventually resolved to the owners satisfaction. My point? Every manufacturer can let one out that shouldn't be.
I'm not saying that this will be the case but there may be a problem that needs to be fixed by the manufacturer. In every case like this, the people are looking for advice and support.
Let's try to keep this helpful and kind.
We have a good reputation of being just that!
Chandler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Chandler! I have also put a post on RV.net looking for help and have found that there are folks on both ends of the spectrum - ones that are quick to berate the manufacturer in general (which I do not mean to do) and those that have attacked me and my post while trying to defend the manufacturer. I even got messages from folks telling me it's not even POSSIBLE to have such a problem. (BTW- I have documentation, photos, and measurements of this "impossible" problem).

I agree wholeheartedly with you - as long as humans manufacture these coaches there will be some that are manufactured improperly. I probably would have been happy had the problem been resolved to my satisfaction right away instead of making me feel that I have to fight to even have someone speak to me. I've never been involved in legal/court matters and I'd prefer to keep it that way if possible. But, of course I'm not about to take a huge financial loss just to avoid it either. This was a HUGE financial investment for our family and we purchased what we thought was a new, "perfect" coach. To find that we may be expected to lose thousands of dollars (or TENS of thousands) due to someone else's error just tans my hide! And, in the meantime, we are making huge monthly loan payments, insurance payments, and storage unit payments and are stuck with a coach we can't use.

I'm also having a hard time understanding how folks don't understand my feeling that the coach will never be "right" - even if the manufacturer is allowed to try to "fix" it. This involves breaking welds and moving an existing coach (with all of its interior fittings and systems) around on the frame and re-welding it. First, there is the potential for many future problems to be CAUSED by this movement. Secondly, there is the loss of resale value because I'm sure that any reasonable consumer would RUN the other way when told that a motorhome had gone through these problems.

With my original post I just wanted to see if anyone had been through this situation and had advice for getting a reasonable remedy. Also, I wanted to see if anyone had allowed a manufacturer (not necessarily mine) to break welds and attempt to move/re-weld a coach in this way. I was hoping to hear first hand reports from someone who had been through this.

I'm sorry to go off on a tirade here this is just so frustrating. I just need to try to stay positive and "keep moving forward". No matter the outcome, I have gotten some very helpful advice and kind support on the irv2 forums. Thank you to all of you who have tried to legitimately help me. No matter what brand motorhome we own in future years, we'll be back to these forums because of your kind and humorous members!

Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #18

Unfortunatly these things happen and we have not seen or inspected the motorhome so none of us can really say if it can be properly fixed. However, if it is just a matter of cutting 10 to 15 welds loose and pulling the body over an inch or so then rewelding, I think Damon will want to fix it and you will have a long battle to accomplish anything else. Believe me when I say the flustration level is minor at this point, it will get much worse. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Sam
Old 09-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #19

To use an analogy: You buy a brand new house only to find out after the fact that it's crooked (and was built that way). Can you imagine someone telling you they want to "FIX" your brand new house by forcibly separating it from the foundation, jimmying it around, and then re-attaching it to the foundation?---- Oh, and keep in mind that any problems found in the future would no longer be covered under warranty.

Plus, to continue the house analogy, would you BUY that same house knowing that it had such problems in the past - whether or not the builder claimed to have "fixed" them at a standard market price? No way.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #20

kylamart....To answer your question originally posted, no. I have never heard nor seen anything like this before. I've seen axles mounted wrong so the coach "crabs" down the road but that's about it. I would hope that in these tough financial times, where every customer should be treasured and every ticked off customer could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars, Damon will step up and do what is right for you guys, not what they feel will cost them less. Some of the advice you've recieved is sound. Document everything and be civil. I would love to put you in touch with the Beaver guy to get his perspective on how he handled his case. I know at one point he told me that he was going to take a full apge ad in the Wall Street Journal about Monaco but he finally got things resolved. He ended up getting the money back for the coach plus legal fees. The story could fill a book, it's that long. I heard from him tonight and if you want, I can ask him if he can give you any tips...if it comes to that. Please let us know how things work out, ok? As amon owners, we don't like to hear any bad problems with the company. We, for the most part, are a pretty happy bunch and would buy another Damon product. We want to hear that you are taken care of. Good luck!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 AM   #21

WOW Chandler - thank you so much. As I said before, you guys seem to run a much kinder, gentler forum here. I would LOVE to get in touch wtih the guy you are talking about - thanks! I'll send you a private message with my home email.

I think that sometimes "the powers that be" count on consumers being unknowledgeable about thier options or so overwhelmed that the give up or give in. Believe me, I've felt frustrated and overwhelmed, but never enough to give in. I have heard that this can be a very drawn out process, but over the last couple of months my husband and I continue to expect the best and try to remain optimistic. I guess I sound a bit naive, but I still believe in the golden rule and expect my family to live by that.

On that note, I will leave without complaining this morning and hope everyone else will have a good attitude today as well.

Have a great day!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #22

Chandler and the rest of the Damon forum members. I think we need to be real careful here as we have not seen any pictures or documentation of this problem. I have no reason to doubt this poster but I have absolutely no reason to believe them either. Unless the OP can provide some evidence of this problem, I for one will not post as it serves no purpose.

Sam
Old 09-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #23

Sam,

Should everyone on these forums be required to provide photographic evidence or documentation of a problem before they can ask for advice? I could do just that but I will not.

I find it very interesting that you keep popping up and have been quite dismissive to many of the comments both here and on my posts on an another forum. At first you debated that I even had a problem or that it was even possible to have such a problem. So, I went into detail about the problem and how we KNOW it's a problem (which has been documented, photographed, and measured by experts and reported to Damon). Lately you have been suggesting numerous times that I have little choice but to let the manufacturer attempt to "fix" my problem (even though you know I would rather not do that) and "that's just the way the RV business is".

Why is it that you seem to be pushing so hard to have folks either disbelieve me or write me off?

As I stated in my OP, I do not want this to turn into a smear of Damon here.....I was simply asking for advice from folks who have experience with this situation. You seem to be a very loyal Damon owner (at the very least), but keep in mind that I have not said anything negative about the brand as a whole. I was simply sold what we believe to be a defective motorhome and am looking for help to get myself out of this confusing and frustrating situation.

Now, if you choose to stop posting on this thread and on my thread at rv.net, that's perfectly fine with me.

To the rest of you - I apologize for seeming confrontational in this post, but when someone continually debates my honesty and intelligence it does tend to get under my skin just a bit.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #24

And, I do not think this is necessary, but I would be glad to forward photographs of the problem to Chandler, the Damon owners forum moderator, for his review since he has inspected many coaches in the past and would understand what he's looking at. If anyone needs verification there is a problem, I'm sure he could do just that from the photographs.

I think I would be doing a great disservice to myself and Damon by posting anything like that on a public forum, however.

One question, though - why has this turned into a "prove it or we don't believe you" type of thing?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #25

I personally dont see anything wrong with the way you have presented your issues here.Thats what this forum is all about.After having seen these MH's built at the factory,nothing would surprise me.Kylamart,I ,along with a lot of other people here are eager to see how this plays out.Please continue to keep us updated.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #26

Phew! Thanks Frankie. Sorry again for the rant yesterday.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #27

KYLAMART.. I have seen this two times once on a MH and once on a trailer. Don't waste time get it back to the manufacturer, have it repaired then have it inspected, if the repair is not up to par meaning perfect, then go with photo's and written proof to DMV and the lemon law. Talk with the manufacturer andmake them do thr transportation.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:19 AM   #28

Tell y' a story of my '01 Dolphin 5330:

Bought it new...within 2 months took it to Florida...our first "big" trip. All went well, the motorhome tracked straight, no vibration: kinda "normal".(gee....)
About 6 months later, me driving the motorhome, wife driving the car behind...at our destination she told me the mh is "dog-legging". WHAT? Sure enough, next day our roles were reversed....and: yep. A VERY slight dogleg. But...using the motorhome and seeing no unusual tire wear, combined with any lack of steering (tracking) issues, I simply didn't bother with it. At just about the end of the warranty, I finally contacted Ford motorhome and they authorized 1 hour of diagnostic time at the local Ford truck dealership.
Make a long story short, the Ford dealership told me I must have hit something...maybe damaging or breaking a "center pin" on the rear suspension....damage is evident when "our mechanic was underneath". Take about a month. Didn't buy it, and asked for everything to be documented. They did.
Took the motorhome AND the Ford paperwork to a local indi truck repair shop (that ALWAYS had motorhomes parked, both gas and DP), showed him the paperwork...he chuckled. Told me to leave the motorhome and he would get back to me within 2 days.
This is what he told me: They saw the slight dogleg. They found NO damage anywhere. His shop measured everything on the chassis...all is well. They found a VERY slight camber mis-alignment...and as long as they had the mh there, put it on their laser alignment machine and made the adjustment. Not really needed, but....
All is well with the chassis. What he THOUGHT was that the motorhome was not put on the chassis perfectly straight. Can't "do nothin' about that, anyway".
So...here was the dogleg. Other than that...all was well. Next month, CW had a sale on that mudflap (Ultragard)(including install) that went the complete width of the motorhome. I went to my local CW (I-295 exit 10) and had it done.
I would now call the dogleg a non-issue. The Ultragard seems to distract the eye so ANY dogleg is not noticable.

jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote