Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I think the OP said the unit was somewhere without electricity.
Yes, my unit does not us A/C and a rechargeable 12v battery with an approximate 8 hour runtime. It's a pretty neat system.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #16

I thought about aiming it at the radiator, but it's a small outlet and a big radiator, and with the air moving pretty fast, not much time to transfer heat over not much of an area. Meanwhile the rest of the radiator is trying to re-radiate the heat over a larger area back to the cold atmosphere. Once the local WT gets over 180 then the t-stat will open and eventually heat the block with convection. But the difficulty in starting has to do with oil temp, and associated viscosity, not water temp. I suppose it would still heat the block, just not as directly as on the oil pan.

Obviously you have to remain diligent doing stuff like this and keep an eye out for high temps. But as cold as it is to get diesel to flash with just 240 deg of output temp? Not saying it wouldn't happen, but it's probably a long shot.

You could also take a portable gas generator, warm it up in a warm but ventilated spot, wrap it in a blanket, drive it out to the MH, and use it to run the block heater and an oil pan heater for several hours - if the carb doesn't ice up!

If you do try to heat the block and oil, when you are ready to give it a try for the first 10 minutes or so see if you can crank it with out letting it start, wait a minute or two, and repeat several times. That pumps warm oil up into the engine and to the bearings and after a few of those it should crank and start easier. That works on race motors, but on those you just turn the fuel pump off while performing the procedure. don't know how well this would work with an injected diesel.

One of the problems with putting a hose on the end of a heater is that the hose has to be bigger than the heater. the corrugations and bends in the hose will choke the flow a bit, the heater won't be able to move enough air to carry heat away from the combustor, and you could burn up the heater.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
Yes, my unit does not us A/C and a rechargeable 12v battery with an approximate 8 hour runtime. It's a pretty neat system.
Be super careful with it too, that unit is designed for space heating, like a garage or something, not an object like an engine.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #18

Years ago, we used to put cotton seed hulls in a cut down 55 gallon steel drum, soak with diesel fuel and set it on fire. Then slide it under the engine on a diesel truck that wouldn't start in very cold weather. Very crude, but works. Takes about a hour to warm up. I would not do this anymore or recommend you try this. We would sometimes leave our rigs out all night at remote locations with no power. We used a lot of starting fluid at times. Get one rig running and pull start the rest. Some guys would just leave them run all night.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Years ago, we used to put cotton seed hulls in a cut down 55 gallon steel drum, soak with diesel fuel and set it on fire. Then slide it under the engine on a diesel truck that wouldn't start in very cold weather. Very crude, but works. Takes about a hour to warm up. I would not do this anymore or recommend you try this. We would sometimes leave our rigs out all night at remote locations with no power. We used a lot of starting fluid at times. Get one rig running and pull start the rest. Some guys would just leave them run all night.
Now, that's old school, brother. I will take your advice! LOL

Concerning what the heater was actually designed for, I understand this and would be attending the heater and watching it very closely from my truck at the storage area or my driveway, where the rig is presently.

With all this frigid weather, I really wonder if the old girl would start at
-15 degrees without a little helper. Better to have it than not...

I am getting new tires on Friday for my Florida trip.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #20

Mr heater is a radiant heater that mounts on a propane cylinder. A radiant heater heats the objects that its aimed at it does not heat the air directly by putting a aluminum flex pipe on this type of heater you will be operating this heater illegally according to the manufacturer. As far as what temperature the heater will put out that depends on the ambient temperature the heater is in. All heater outputs are rated on temperature rise (delta t. ).
Your idea of using an open flame to heat your motor reminds me of the red green show where he has a gas can sitting on top of his wood stove in possum lodge lol.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
If you are really stuck you could cut 2 tee's into your heater hoses on your daily driver and use hydraulic hose end fittings on the end of tees hoses. Then do the same to your motor home with excess hose. When you get there just plug them in together and let your daily driver warm up your motorhome. Make sure you antifreeze is compatible.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad idea. Flame. Fiberglass. Possible oil or grease hanging around.

Constructive advise solicited. Not trolling.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeAndTam View Post
If you are really stuck you could cut 2 tee's into your heater hoses on your daily driver and use hydraulic hose end fittings on the end of tees hoses. Then do the same to your motor home with excess hose. When you get there just plug them in together and let your daily driver warm up your motorhome. Make sure you antifreeze is compatible.
That's a really good idea, a little labor intensive but a really good idea. Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
I have a new Mr. Heater cordless 30k btu propane heater. I have an idea to connect a 10' flexible 8" hose to the end of it and set the end of the hose under the engine to preheat before starting in this cold weather. The hose I'm looking at has a 180 degree range. Any know the output temp of such a heater?
I looked up the owners manual of the heater you are most likely speaking of

Notice #14 in the list of safety precautions. "Do not use with duct work. Do not restrict inlet or outlet"

http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...uals/20586.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2463459210.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	53501   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1836295636.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	53502  

Old 01-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I looked up the owners manual of the heater you are most likely speaking of

Notice #14 in the list of safety precautions. "Do not use with duct work. Do not restrict inlet or outlet"

http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...uals/20586.pdf
Well, that settles that. I guess I'll try to place and aim the heater and see what happens.

Appreciate you pointing this out.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #26
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Since so many seem to be so interested attacking each other, it's time to move on.

Closed Thread

Tags
heater, propane