Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #1

Our interior is just plain 'blah'. I would love to add some life to the multi tone tan in it. Has anyone done this? I remember watching Debbie Travis' Painted House on HGTV one time when she was remodeling an older MH. It came out beautiful.

I thought I would start bt practicing on the the bedroom area. I am toying between a 50's theme or seashore. My hb is open to change.

Eventually we want to put in a commercial grade carpet then put a area rug over it due to pets. I wanted to cover the whole living area in hardwood or vinyl but was told our slide is too low to the floor - only can put carpeting in the area where the slide covers. Also, new cushions for the table, throw the hide-a-bed out for comfy chairs, new recliner, and window treatments.

If you have done any sure would love to hear your story and maybe see pictures.

Charlotte

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #2

Our interior is just plain 'blah'. I would love to add some life to the multi tone tan in it. Has anyone done this? I remember watching Debbie Travis' Painted House on HGTV one time when she was remodeling an older MH. It came out beautiful.

I thought I would start bt practicing on the the bedroom area. I am toying between a 50's theme or seashore. My hb is open to change.

Eventually we want to put in a commercial grade carpet then put a area rug over it due to pets. I wanted to cover the whole living area in hardwood or vinyl but was told our slide is too low to the floor - only can put carpeting in the area where the slide covers. Also, new cushions for the table, throw the hide-a-bed out for comfy chairs, new recliner, and window treatments.

If you have done any sure would love to hear your story and maybe see pictures.

Charlotte

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:33 PM   #3

Our dogs are working on it! I'll let you know how it turns out. Scotty.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:58 AM   #4

Charlotte,
We had the same problem the slide and carpet. We met a couple who had completey redone the interior of their coach and they got around the slide problem by leaving the carpet in the area covered by the slide and put vinyl in the non slide area all the way from the front to the back. To break up the staight line appearance of the carpet to vinyl, they cut the carpet on a scalloped line and used a metal bead to transition from one to the other.
It was really pretty. It looked like a high end coach when they finished.
We are getting ours done after Christmas. They changed out their carpet as well as the vinyl. We are leaving the existing carpet in place under the slide as it looks pretty good everywhere except the high traffic area.
Also, We changed the wall paper border in our kitchen and bedroom and that made a big difference.
Good Luck.
SeaRay
Old 12-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen some pretty substantial remodeling jobs, in and out. New furniture including built in computer desks, various tables, new/different sofas and chairs, etc. LCD tvs can be built in fairly easily, as can DVD players and such. Cabinetry is usually easy to replace too, since all of it is just screwed onto the floor and walls and you can change it around if you plan to recover the walls anyway. You can even paint the walls if you prime it well first, but wall paper works too. Use the kicthen and bath stuff, to resist the high mositure levels common in RVs. Then there are new sinks and toilets and replacement appliances too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #6

We bought a 1990 27' last summer. The interior was blech to say the least. The wallpaper around the kitchen area and in the bathroom was cream with HUGE blue and pink flowers. It looked very 1980's, in a bad way. The problem was how to work with the turquoise/bluish colored couches.

I wallpapered over the existing wallpaper in the kitchen with a cream wallpaper that had a vine with tiny navy flowers. I then used a wallpaper border right above the countertops that is navy with birdhouses. It was just enough blue to blend with the couches, but certainly doesn't match them.

The sink area wallpaper was very bubbled and looked horrible. I ended up pulling it off- it's sticky like contact paper. You then end up with the brown wallboard behind it. I used a navy blue solid wallpaper to cover up the brown board and it worked very well. The cream color wasn't dark enough.

In the actual shower area, I painted the wallpaper a darker cream color. I did not want to cut all those tiny pieces of wallpaper out- painting was bad enough. I added a cute border around the top of the ceiling, and it made a world of difference.

My next project is to replace the brown carpeting with the square vinyl tiles. I think this will be easier to work with than the long pieces of vinyl. Plus- it will look like ceramic tile and be much easier to keep clean! I show horses, and keeping the dirt out of hte MH is not easy.

Have fun!!
ExtraHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Art & Charlotte:
Our interior is just plain 'blah'.

Charlotte </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want "Blah"?

Or how about this for "Blah"?

Now it looks like this...

I even put in a pull down bed over the front...

There are a lot of different things that you can do to spiff up the interior of your coach. You could buy some threshold molding for steps and install that around the entrance, You could paint your walls, replace the vinyl floor, reface the cabinets, install panelling etc...

The walls were repainted and I put a half section of paneling up. It was then capped with molding. If you want to read more about what I did and why click on the link marked "the Story" in the signature profile next to the Coach on the bottom.

460 EFI C6 Transmission
TruckMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #8

We added new flooring to "The Bus"last year.

Front Area

Bedroom Hallway

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
We removed the carpet and laid laminate wood flooring,(that was a chore, we followed the same angle as the kitchen tile, so every edge was an angle cut!) use throw rugs for accent. Looks great. Took out sofa and chair and replaced with Lazy boy double recliner and Lazy boy chair (their backs come off with ease and can get thru the door)
we have a very county feel, cozy.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #10

My 36' MH had been a medical clinic, with X-ray machine, so when I got it, it had scratches on the wood floor, and the rear bedroom had been gutted for their exam room. The water tank had been covered with a cabinet. I could tell by the water tank, and water pump placement that it had originally been twin bed floor plan. So built it that way with chest of drawers , and computer desk too. I also made it so that the twin beds could be made into a kingsize. I redid all the wood floors, and it is beautiful, looks original. I don't know how to add pictures, but I can email you some, if you are interested.

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #11

Hi Charlotte:

Yes I have totally remodled the interior of my 98 Itasca.

New Laminate flooring, Replaced Dinette with built in cabinet and hideaway table, new drawers under couch, folding laptop table, new chairs etc.

If you send me your E-mail, I'll direct you to my Yahoo site where all my pictures are.

Hope this is helpfull.

Buzz:
nbuzzp@verizon.net