Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Finally arrived, and it's the right one this time.
It's expanding at the moment. I'll give it a day or two and put everything on it. Looks like there is plenty of room to make it up, more than the air coil thing.After an hour it expanded enough so you don't feel the bars underneath. I will give it a day or two to make sure that there is no smell. I think they use a soy based base foam so that it doesn't out gas like some of the foam products. I will let it air out anyway to make sure.

I'll report back after I get it made up and see how it is.

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All expanded and I put a nice mattress pad from samsclub on it, as well as the fitted sheet. Closes with no problems whatsoever.
A quick test shows it to be comfortable but I won't give it a complete thumbs up until I field test it next month.
I may keep my eye out for some shallower fitted sheets or I may modify my existing sheet so it fits tighter. It's not too bad but not really taught. Not that I plan on bouncing quarters off it
The mattress with the 1.5 inch memory foam feels better than the solid polyurethane foam model. Just a tad softer.
They are available on amazon as well as on overstock and other vendors. The vendor from amazon did make things right and everything worked out but to do over I would buy from overstock as they have a much better description.
Overstock is the cheapest that I found. Some are 70 to over 100 more for the same product.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #18

Yes, thanks for the update ctcamper. I'm thinking I'll go this route. My only concern is feeling the couch's bars though the mattress after my 230 lbs. compresses the material for a while. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll give a full update in a couple of weeks after a three night test I am about 206lbs.
Can't wait to get away for a week....
Old 04-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I for one look forward to reading what you think about it after some use.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Four nights on the mattress. It is better than the setup I had before. It's a little bit on the firm side for my taste. Glad I had them give me the memory foam model. I plan on cutting another inch of memory foam to go on top of it. I think it will compress in nicely when folding up the sofa bed. I will know in a few days as I have the memory foam already.
You can't feel the bars underneath, at least at my weight. I am now down to 206 with the diet. It should be ok with more weight on it.
The biggest problem I had was the mattress pad and fitted sheet I am using is a deep pocket and it was bunching up on top. I was getting annoying lumps of mattress pad and sheet under me after unfolding the sofa. Had to smooth them out before sleeping. I am not sure how I'll fix that yet. Probably drag out the sewing machine and modify them.
I slept good on it for three nights straight. The bad night was not a fault of the mattress, but rather, the fault of a crying/howling borzoi and about 18 or so barking all night westies. I moved to a more peaceful area at the show the next day and all was good

I felt it was comfy. It is a pull out and I can't expect perfection. I thought the air mattress was too firm also. It will do the trick for me I think and I should be happy with it for longer term. I will update again after I install the memory foam on top of the sofa mattress.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Memory foam cut to fit. Adjusted the size of the fitted sheet by reversing the sheet over the mattress and marking the corners. Then making a new seam from that spot to where the old seam met the elastic. Sewed that and it fits great. I think, because the elastic goes all the way around the fitted sheet, it works better for the size adjustment. My mattress pad over the 1.5 inch memory foam topper on top of the 4.5 inch mattress all folds down easy. Feels comfy although , again I won't know the final answer till next month. Everything got too busy, plus a sick dog through things off, so my usual trip in June was canceled.

Will do a final post after the next FMCA rally in the north east.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thought I would return to this thread with an update. I like the foam mattress, however the new problem that has cropped up is the sofas lack of support in the base that holds the mattress. It is sagging in the middle causing the foam mattress to sink further in that area. I can sleep next to the side rails to lessen that problem but I need to engineer a better solution.
My next course of action is to see if I can fit a piece of 1/4 inch ply under there or some type of other method of supporting the area that is under where my upper body is.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ended up getting a Dream Dinette set up to raise and lower the dinette table the foam cushions with it seem to sleep better than the couch mattress.

It gets install just as soon as I get some wood and extra time so the couch got moved a little further down the to do list.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 08-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got two 2 ft by 4 ft, 11/32 thick, sections of plywood at HD. 7/32 would have probably worked but I liked the extra stiffness of the 11/32nds.
Cut a hand hold in the center of the long side. Used Arleenes tacky glue and some vinyl fabric from my local discount fabric place. 3 bucks a yard, can't beat that. Glued the fabric over the sections, cut out the hand hold and I am putting them on the side of the bed , under the mattress, that my upper body rests on.
I like it. Firmed up the foam and my back isn't sore from the lack of support.
I can even store them on top of the frame under the mattress if I get them inbetween the areas that bend. I may just store them under the fold out area though, as I worry about stressing the mechanism too much as it is a little tougher to fold.
That problem is solved now I can rest easy

Tags
replace