Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #1

Applying New Decals

I am hoping to get some advice on applying new decals to the front of my class C. The previous decal said "Four Winds" and it was pretty faded so I removed it. It took me a few days but I was finally able to take it off. I ordered a new "Four Winds" decal that matches up pretty close to the previous one but the spacing between the letters is a little off. Since I removed the previous one, there is no residue or anything left over but you can still see the vague lettering from where they once were. The area where the letters were is bright white and the rest of the area has yellowed. I've washed the whole area with soap and water but you can still sort of see it. Is there anything else I can do before I apply my new decals that will make the previous stains less visible? Do you guys think that the new decal will cover up where the previous one was and it wion't be too noticeable? I know without pictures it might be hard to answer, but if you guys have any general advice to clean the area and getting the whole surface area the same color it might help. Thanks so much
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Try Acetone on the faded area it will take off the faded fiberglass and hopefully blend in better.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #3

Ok cool. It won't ruin the paint will it?
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Fine rubbing compound will usually even things out a bit

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Acetone works well on fiberglass, but will affect some paints. I think the fine rubbing compound or something like Meguiars Ultimate compound would work better on paint...

I replaced the full length decals on my 90 GeorgieBoy. I had good luck using a small amount of dawn dish detergent in a bucket of water to just wet the surface before applying the decals. The decals can be re-positioned easily. Squeegee the decals when you have them in position.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I replaced my front decal on my 2008, I used alcohol to clean the area. You could still see the outline of the old lettering, but I placed the new as close to the old as I could. Turned out ok except for a couple of wrinkles in a couple of the new letters. May try the water next time as outlined by Hooligan.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Try Bar Keepers Friend.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote