Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #1

Are my batteries toast?

When my coach went into the shop to begin the rebuild of the front cap several weeks ago I immediately went in to make sure it was plugged into electricity. It was and I thanked the tech assigned to work on it. He assured me that he understood my desire that it remain plugged in any time it wasn't necessary to have it unplugged.
I had hand-picked the 4 new Interstate 6VDC GC2 golf cart batteries 12 months ago at Costco and had babied them ever since. They have never been low on water or allowed to discharge below 12.1 volts. I recharged them to float level every morning and every evening before retiring.
I went to check on the progress Wednesday and to pickup some meds from the coach. The sound of the propane alarm beeping every 10-20 seconds alerted me to a low battery. I was unable to get the LED vanity lights to come on so I could see my EMS remote panel.
I had to use the flashlight app on my phone to see the panel which was completely dark. I walked to the front of the coach to check the voltage on the batteries. My plug in volt meter for the house batteries was completely dark. My ScanGaugeD showed my 2 12VDC chassis batteries were at 11.6 volts.[emoji35]
I went to the battery compartment and checked the voltage of my house batteries. They were at 4.2 volts [emoji34]
I went to talk with the RV Service Manager and somehow managed to describe the situation and express my "concerns" without tearing his head off. I don't think I could have pulled that off when I was younger and, shall I say, more excitable.
I think I should be able to salvage the chassis batteries with minimal damage but I am pretty sure my house batteries are shot and not worth trying to revive them.
I would like to to hear from some of you more experienced folks whether or not my assumptions are correct. I can't get access to the coach until Monday to try to assess the damage and prepare for my next conversation with the service manager.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I feel for you. I have had our house batteries fully depleted (ironically by a shop as well....twice!) & were able to bring them back up to full charge. But by having them completely discharged, the initial life of them was cut short. Just as is the same when you run your car battery dead by accidentally leaving the headlights on, it too can be recharged & work fine, but it's life is shortened.

Charge them back up then test them with a volt meter when under load. You'll know soon enough.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shops often kill batteries. Recharge and see what you have. Likely capacity and longevity are impacted.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:28 AM   #4

I would be explaining to the shop manager why they now owe you a thousand dollars worth of batteries.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:49 AM   #5

Help me understand. Wouldn't just using the coach disconnect be enough to protect the batteries for a few weeks? Even the chassis batteries shouldn't go dead in a few weeks without some sort of phantom drain issue. Did they leave the key on?

Also, I noticed your signature.

2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly,

I'm also curious how you can hold a 500+lb motorcycle plus the weight of the versahaul and the weight of the car dolly on your rig. That seems like it would be way over the limit. Don't you also have to figure out the weight multiplier caused by the versahaul acting as a lever extending the weight of the dolly further back? I want to get a couple 180lb scooters on a double carrier but it seemed like I would have have been way over tongue weight limit with the tow dolly. What did I miss....It would be awesome if I could do this safely, It just didn't look like it when I researched it.

Also, versahaul says to only tow 3000 lbs behind it, you seem to be over that as well with the weight of the dolly.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:49 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I understand your pain. In thinking about it, I wonder if a better strategy is to physically disconnect the batteries at the chassis ground when bringing your RV to the shop and let them plug in to shore power and use the converter if they need power.

You batteries would still be sitting fat and happy at a full charge and safe from the damage that RV "techs" can inflict on a well managed electrical system.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
Help me understand. Wouldn't just using the coach disconnect be enough to protect the batteries for a few weeks? Even the chassis batteries shouldn't go dead in a few weeks without some sort of phantom drain issue. Did they leave the key on?
I was wondering the same thing. You would think the disconnect switch would be enough for such a well maintained batt bay.

But to answer your question, at 4.2 volts on the house batts oh my. They won't ever get back to a full healthy state and their life is now shortened. Let me put it this way, we travel & FT so our batts have to be up to snuff and sometimes we put pretty heavy loads on them and need longevity for boon docking. So, I'd be replacing them if they were ours, and I'd be looking for some compensation from the shop. There's no reason for this other than neglect on their part...especially after you talked to them earlier about how important this was to you.
"He assured me that he understood my desire that it remain plugged in any time it wasn't necessary to have it unplugged."

Now I don't know if this applies to you—you've had these batts right at a year now you said—but I see folks posting here all the time about how they buy Costco batts and if something goes wrong with them within the warranty period, they return them no questions asked. Maybe this is your way out of this mess. When I bought our new Trojan 6V golf cart batts—not at Costco—they said I have a 2 year warranty against anything that goes wrong. Return for replacements, no questions asked.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
There is ALWAYS some sort of phantom drain. The little green light on the propane detector is powered by house batteries for example. That light does not go out when the disconnect switch is toggled off. So using just the battery disconnect switches will not stop that.

The only way to stop phantom drain is to disconnect the battery negative cable.

Lori-
Old 12-31-2018, 04:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
There is ALWAYS some sort of phantom drain. The little green light on the propane detector is powered by house batteries for example. That light does not go out when the disconnect switch is toggled off. So using just the battery disconnect switches will not stop that.

The only way to stop phantom drain is to disconnect the battery negative cable.

Lori-
Ok, so that's 20 mA. Definitely not enough to drain one let alone several coach batteries in a few weeks.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #10

No, but when the mechanic leaves the interior lights on there is...
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The propane, smoke and co detectors can drain a battery flat in less than a week. Add to that the circuit boards of every appliance, radio, tv, coffee maker etc. and those small phantom loads turn into real amp hours.

Travel Trailers often have all those detectors and appliances wired AFTER the battery disconnect. Most motorhomes do not disconnect the detectors because people often occupy them without intending to use the house functions, such as when delivering or driving to a different storage location. Since those detectors often have a very significant draw they will kill your batteries if some protective measures are not taken.

You would expect people who work on RVs for a living to know how to care for them but most know less than you about battery care or how long one can be left unplugged. Most RV techs today are guys and gals who may have been washing cars at a car lot 6 months ago. A couple experienced folks run a herd of entry level laborers in most cases and they just simply do not have the knowledge of your coach or systems, they just do what the service writer tells them to.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Turn on AGS!
Tell the manager, if he doesn't want his shop filled with carbon monoxide, he better keep your coach plugged in!
Old 12-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I would be explaining to the shop manager why they now owe you a thousand dollars worth of batteries.
A grand for batteries. Sure glad I don't buy wet cell batteries where you do.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The OP listed them as " Interstate 6VDC GC2 golf cart batteries 12 months ago at Costco". If really toast for all of them, probably out around $400. Still money is money. In my case, I got the shop to discount some of the parts & a good bit of the labor to compensate them screwing up my batteries.

Lori-

Tags
batteries