Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #1

Arizona RV registration

Live in Indiana and have a high property tas on my rig. Is it possible to register my rig in Arizona (Phoenix) since I spend about four or five months a year in Az? Are the taxes high? ($1900 In Indy)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I paid over $4000 in AZ for my new 2009 Dutch Star 4010 license plates.

Steve Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #3

The short answer is you have a permanent residence (an address for the business of life), and should register your vehicles, get your driver's license, vote, maintain insurance, etc. at that address. Question is: where is that place?

If you spend more than 6 months a year on the road, you can "reside" in your coach if you make some adjustments. For a permanent residence you can rent a miniature place in South Dakota where they will receive and forward your mail, where you will reside for voting and for a driver's license and as your permanent address. This will entitle you to register all your vehicles in South Dakota where they are happy to have your (surprisingly small) fees. You do have to show up there, IIRC, to obtain your driver's license. You might find that this helps on state income taxes as well, but ymmv.
If you are searching for an alternate domicile, SD is the best deal according to the largest bunch of full timers I run into. I.e., I hear FL, TX, MT, WY & WA as well. But I hear SD more often by a long stretch, and by my research it appears to have less misc. gottcha's than any other.

Lots of folks just pick one of the above & fake together a way that they are not really a resident of that state (still have driver's license from a "home" state, still have insurance address elsewhere, vote where they lived for a carreer, etc.). Maybe its just me, but that seems like a cow who can't help herself from returning to the site of the burned down barn. If you are really a resident someplace, faking something else for tax purposes is asking for trouble IMO. If you are truly on the road more than half the year, and care enough about costs to relocate your permanent residence (you are still entitled to maintain a summer residence just as folks have had a mountain cabin retreat for centuries), why screw around? IMO its better to go whole hog and relocate your residence once you qualify so there are no left over hassles.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
In Az, the plate fees are based on the MSRP of the vehicle when new. I looked up your rig and came up with a MSRP of $216326. For 2009, the plate fee would have been around $1545.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #5

I guess there is no big difference. The plate fee here is $41.00.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-W View Post
I guess there is no big difference. The plate fee here is $41.00.

Wish our license plate fees were only $41.00 out here. Welcome to California all our vehicle fees suck.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Now if you registered in Florida or South Dakota, there would be a considerable $ advantage. But Indiana would almost assuredly consider that tax fraud, since you otherwise maintain your residence in Indiana.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
There is no personal property tax in AZ on vehicles, just a high license fee, but it is reduced by 16.25 % every year you own the vehicle.
Steve Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #9

We are moving back to AZ. after being in MO for 4 years
we have a 1994 Holiday Rambler sticker 93k
anyone want to guess what our plate fees will be/
thanks

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I Texas we pay a reasonable registration fee and don't have property tax on vehicles. Several years ago, our amateur legislature passed a law that had the unintended consequence of making our popup camper subject to property tax. That lasted as long as it took the legislature to pass a 'never mind' law.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #11

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by antlerz View Post
We are moving back to AZ. after being in MO for 4 years
we have a 1994 Holiday Rambler sticker 93k
anyone want to guess what our plate fees will be/
thanks

About $113 bucks plus your emissions test fee ($25?)
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 AM   #12

thanks,
we are looking forward to the warm winters again

not traveling too much these days

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #13

The TN registration on our '08 Jeep Liberty=$24 per year, on our '04 Dutch Star pusher= $24 per year, on our '05 Pace American 20' enclosed trailer was a one time , lifetime =$75. No Inspections, no emissions, no personal property tax.

TN has no state income tax, nor any excise or personal property tax. Real estate property taxes are very low, i.e. our home in Crossville, TN is a 2000 SF single story, 3BR, 2 and 1/2 bath with 2 car garage with a 20' X 50' separate RV garage non 2.97 acres and last year our property taxes were under $650 for the year.

TN does have a steep sales tax of 8.5% and each county can add on up to 1.25%, which our county takes the max.; thus, our sales tax is 9.75%. The sales tax on cars, trucks, boats and RVs is held to a max of 7% of the trade difference, i.e. we just bought a new to us Jeep that was priced at $16,591 and the dealer gave us $16,000 for our trade and we will pay Cumberland County 41.37 as the 7% sales tax on $591.

Y'all come on down.

BTW, I just found out why the University of TN fans love their bright ORANGE color---on Saturday they can go watch the Vols. in Knoxville, and then they can truck over (literally) to Nashville where they can direct traffic for the Sunday's Titans game and then on Monday they can go to work for TDOT picking up trash on the TN highways and never have to change clothes.

SBe safe out there, Ken.....
Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #14

we live in AZ and my fees 3 years ago were $3600.00 on the MH in AZ. I changed to Montana LLC, this year the fees were $138.00 on the MH. I have reg. 5 things in Montana and saved a bunch even on sales tax. you need to look into a Montana LLC.