Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
For hitch racks most of my riding friends love the 1Up USA racks or the Kuat.
Good advice... I've had Thule (very good), Saris (good), but the 1upUSA is hands down the best and simplest to use bike rack ever. Not inexpensive ($500+) but fully machined aluminum and the last rack you'll ever need.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We looked at one at CW and it attaches to the receiver and holds the 2 bikes up and out away from the MH but not hit the toad. We think this will work for us. $135.00
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DallasOregon hope some of these posts were helpful to you. If you could post a few pics of your setup we can put our collective heads together and give you ideas more specific to your needs.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
We looked at one at CW and it attaches to the receiver and holds the 2 bikes up and out away from the MH but not hit the toad. We think this will work for us. $135.00
Old 11-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Some people swear by those "hanging" style racks but they tend to have more draw backs than benefits.
They don't handle odd shaped frames well and sometimes force you to buy a special adaptor to carry them and in most cases they don't do anything to prevent the bikes from banging into each other when going down the road.
I would ask if they had one you could "test fit" before you buy and definitely put your bikes on it before you buy and make sure it won't cause any issues for you down the road
Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm sure most have to be adapted I have a good selection of bungee cords and several ratchet straps if needed.
Tim
Old 11-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll never tell anyone not to use that style rack because I have used them in the past myself but I do try to make sure people know what they are getting when they buy them (I've worked in a few bike shops in the past) most modern bikes require the use of one of these http://m.rei.com/product/670346/yakima-top-tube-adapter to use them since bike manufacturers are moving away from the "diamond" frame and standard round tubing.
I've never been one to push the more expensive racks because more expensive doesn't a always mean better and one solution will not always work in 100% of situations % 100 of the time. I prefer to tell people to find what works best for you but know your options.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDean View Post
What is the model # of your Thule bike rack? Do you know if it is RV rated?
Do you have a rear mounted spare tire on your rig or are you attaching the rack to your dinghy? I appreciate your post. Phil Dean, new member 11/2/14. Triple D Regency GT 2006, 28ft, 13k mi. Am new to RV and hope to be full timer. 10 Ft from rear wheel to back of spare tire.
Ate

Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been on the road awhile. The bike rack is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Thule-916XTR-P...=1416872002723

I have a rear-mounted spare tire and use a hitch extension to clear the spare. I also use the anti-rattle hitch pins. Not a cheap solution, but I will never go back to a hanger type rack. They take too much time mounting two bikes so they don't bang into each other, and too many bunji cords.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post

Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been on the road awhile. The bike rack is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Thule-916XTR-P...=1416872002723

I have a rear-mounted spare tire and use a hitch extension to clear the spare. I also use the anti-rattle hitch pins. Not a cheap solution, but I will never go back to a hanger type rack. They take too much time mounting two bikes so they don't bang into each other, and too many bunji cords.
I am currently using this same rack on my rv and my daily drivers. Out of the 3 tracks I currently own and all I've used it is definitely my favorite and easiest to use. I'm actually planning on selling my other 2 racks at some point to buy the 2 bike extension for the T2
Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
IC,
Both of my bikes and the rack didn't cost me $450.00
I'll stick to my bungees for now.
Thanks for the info.
Tim
Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
IC,
Both of my bikes and the rack didn't cost me $450.00
I'll stick to my bungees for now.
Thanks for the info.
Tim
Here's a more inexpensive option for you: http://m.target.com/p/sportrack-sr29...oQcaAoFG8P8HAQ
I have the 4 bike version, while it has a few drawbacks compared to the Thule, it's sturdy, secure and works great workout damaging the bikes. There are other versions of this rack available from performance bike and swagman all equally as good
Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any suggestions for (4) bike racks on DP's when also towing? Read on another string about 190 degree air being blasted on the bikes from the Diesel engine (rear radiator). I've seen the double receiver mounts and receiver extenders but are they safe when towing a car? What about tight turns?

DW doesn't want them on the toad when towing due to the extra length. Is there a rack that can mount on the back of the coach above and out of the way of the towing set up?

Also, if you hate wobble, on your bike or other hitch acces. Try this one, it's the third one I've tried and the only one that works!

http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote