Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Arvika bike rack?

Anyone have one? Which model? Since we trashed the swagman after one trip, I am looking at a new set up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #2

Hi,

We are on our third bike rack. We are finally satisfied. It's a Thule rack for two bikes that flips up when not loaded with bikes. It has an anti-rattle feature that we like as well. Loading is easy. You set the bike on the tray and move a tire clamp over the front wheel. On the other racks we tried, we ran into problems with bikes hanging from a bar and banging into each other if we didn't spend a half hour tying them down "just so". The Thule mounts on your trailer hitch. We have the 1 1/4 shank going into the 2 inch receiver, which requires an adapter (and another anti-sway bolt), but we like the possibility of using it on our car, which has a 1 1/4 inch receiver. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
That wouldn't work for us. Ours is set up like that, and is now bent, due to our jet ski box.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

Thule bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Hi,
What is the model
We are on our third bike rack. We are finally satisfied. It's a Thule rack for two bikes that flips up when not loaded with bikes. It has an anti-rattle feature that we like as well. Loading is easy. You set the bike on the tray and move a tire clamp over the front wheel. On the other racks we tried, we ran into problems with bikes hanging from a bar and banging into each other if we didn't spend a half hour tying them down "just so". The Thule mounts on your trailer hitch. We have the 1 1/4 shank going into the 2 inch receiver, which requires an adapter (and another anti-sway bolt), but we like the possibility of using it on our car, which has a 1 1/4 inch receiver. Good luck!
What is the model # of your Thule bike rack? Do you know if it is RV rated?
Do you have a rear mounted spare tire on your rig or are you attaching the rack to your dinghy? I appreciate your post. Phil Dean, new member 11/2/14. Triple D Regency GT 2006, 28ft, 13k mi. Am new to RV and hope to be full timer. 10 Ft from rear wheel to back of spare tire.
Ate
Old 11-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a thule t2 2 bike rack with a dual receiver hitch extension. the extension allows the bike rack to be mounted higher than normal and still allows me to pull a trailer or dolly behind the rv
Old 11-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For hitch racks most of my riding friends love the 1Up USA racks or the Kuat.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
For hitch racks most of my riding friends love the 1Up USA racks or the Kuat.
The one up and kuats work well but are a bit overpriced, I do like the built in repair stand option of the kuat.

Dallas what specifically was the problem with the swagman that caused it to be trashed after one use?
Old 11-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I use a thule t2 2 bike rack with a dual receiver hitch extension. the extension allows the bike rack to be mounted higher than normal and still allows me to pull a trailer or dolly behind the rv
Same set up for us, except we're pulling a toad 4-down. Road bikes go on the MH rack and the mountain bikes go on the toad's bike rack. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DallasOregon would something like this work for you? http://northshoreracks.com
Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
My box, on my jet ski trailer kiss the rack. I basically have something like in that link.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So I assume you are using a dual receiver hitch extension already? Have you considered maybe fabricating a mount that allows you to put the rack on the jet ski trailer? That way it doesn't interfere with towing the jet skis
Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am using a bumper mount currently. Would be open to having something on the jet ski trailer, but then I would need a second rack for when we don't take the trailer.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://www.rvplus.com/swagman-danik-...985hoCuOPw_wcB
Is this what you are using?
If you have a reciever type hitch on the back of your coach you can use one of these http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...l4wxoCAfvw_wcB to allow you to use a hitch mounted bike rack and still tow your jetskis. The dual receiver will(or should) get the rack up above the box on your trailer, if not you could always mount a second receiver to your jetski trailer - 1 rack, 2 ways to mount it. Now without seeing your setup I'm not 100% sure this will work for you and to mount a reciever to your trailer might take a little fabrication but I have seen it done before. And being able to use a hitch mounted rack will open up a world of quality racks to choose from
Old 11-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if this could could be adapted to fit your trailer?
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...ike-bunk/72004