Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Aspire Aqua Hot runs out of hot water, anyone else have a similar problem?

I have a 2013 Aspire. The Aqua Hot in the Aspire is the electric/propane system.
For the three months since delivery we have experienced the following problem.
If we run the hot water, with electric and propane heaters both in the "on" position for a couple of hours, the hot water runs out after 4/5 minutes. However, if you leave the faucet/shower to continue to run, after 3/4 minutes of cold water the temperature rises back up, and we have continual hot water.
But, if we don't use the hot water for a couple of hours we have to repeat the process again.
My son and I have identical units, and both experience varying degrees of the same problem.
We have both had LazyDays check them out TWICE, and last week we had a different authorized Aqua Hot dealer check them out. He replaced the thermostat in each unit, to no avail.
Is anyone else experiencing this problem? And if so, has anyone successfully solved this problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
I have a 2013 Aspire. The Aqua Hot in the Aspire is the electric/propane system.
For the three months since delivery we have experienced the following problem.
If we run the hot water, with electric and propane heaters both in the "on" position for a couple of hours, the hot water runs out after 4/5 minutes. However, if you leave the faucet/shower to continue to run, after 3/4 minutes of cold water the temperature rises back up, and we have continual hot water.
But, if we don't use the hot water for a couple of hours we have to repeat the process again.
My son and I have identical units, and both experience varying degrees of the same problem.
We have both had LazyDays check them out TWICE, and last week we had a different authorized Aqua Hot dealer check them out. He replaced the thermostat in each unit, to no avail.
Is anyone else experiencing this problem? And if so, has anyone successfully solved this problem?
Do you hear the propane burner kick on during that initial 5 minutes when you are getting hot water?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Most of us are not used to a demand hot water heater (I lived with this in Turkey in a previous life). So when we turn the shower on after lighting the burner (diesel in this case) I get hot water fairly quickly, but it lasts about 3-4 minutes. Then the demand exceeds the supply, but it is working hard.

So i tend to rinse, turn the nozzle off, lather up (probably TMI), then hit the hot water by turning the nozzle back on (the small amount of water coming out while it is closed seems to signal continued heating required) and it seems to have plenty for the soap rinse as well as washing the hair. That second shot of hot water seems to last longer.

Don't know why...just learning to live with it.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

It is an ongoing problem with aqua hot and aqua hot is not manning up and accepting responsibility and it is industry wide, not just in Entegras. Entegra is trying to solve the problem in a variety of ways, installed one of the latest on my coach and we will see if it is fixed. Precision told me they are having a lot of issues with this in numerous brands. Hoping somebody gets this figured out.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Yes, the burner kicks on. Three different Aqua Hot technicians have observed the whole process, with cover off, and took temps at the Aqua Hot and at the water coming out of the faucet.
Dave, I hear what you say, but I don't believe that's how the system is supposed to work. It's supposed to give continual hot water, non stop, for as long as you need it.
The old propane tank system was more efficient than this, you knew you had 20+ gallons of hot water, more than enough for a good shower.
In three months I have had only two or three showers when the hot water did not run out after 3/5 minutes.
I believe that you should not have to turn off the water after a few minutes to "lather up", just my opinion.
I don't believe that for $15,000 that this is what is expected!
Old 05-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
aqua hot customer service /support

[QUOTE=JeffK;1555922]Yes, the burner kicks on. Three different Aqua Hot technicians have observed the whole process, with cover off, and took temps at the Aqua Hot and at the water coming out of the faucet.
Dave, I hear what you say, but I don't believe that's how the system is supposed to work. It's supposed to give continual hot water, non stop, for as long as you need it.]

I felt your pain - I have the model 450 diesel Aquahot in a 2013 Zephyr and experienced similar painful no hot water experiences coupled with no heat either. The nozzle was replaced twice, entire burner was replaced, the control board was replaced. Still from trip to trip hot water was unreliable. Stumped all the field technicans and then I experienced diesel leaks inside the AH unit with fumes spreading to the basement and coach while driving. I was very frustrated and angry - went to corporate AH and simply stated - you build these units to work , if it doesnt then it needs to be taken care professionally

Aquahot was very professional in their customer service/satisfaction department. Call the main number, ask for their customer service department AH stepped up and pulled my original AH unit and replaced it with a brand new one.

Their units do work ; I now have unlimited hot water and no I dont need to turn the shower off which I agree is unnecessary with these units.
AH is really one of the best equipment providers for service out there so give them a chance. They will want to fix it for you
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Well - now and then we have a chance to contribute a positive experience in the face of issues. We picked up our Anthem on March 19 and have had zero issues with hot water. When it isn't cold, we turn off the diesel and we can take a decent shower without doing the Navy thing. If we are both showering, we turn the diesel on and then the Aquahot can keep up.

If there are units which can't keep up, it seems like there is clearly an issue since (for once) ours proves that they can work as we expect them too. In fact we have to be careful not to use straight hot or things can be very uncomfortable.

And please understand we are ecstatic with our coach. It's just nice to know not every coach is likely to have every issue - law of averages says some will have almost none and others will seem to have 'em all. I'm not a patient guy so I guess it is good ours tends toward the "few" side.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #8

Low temp thermostate on back or mixing valve. Call Roger Burke. If he can't fix it, it can't be fixed.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Hmmmm...."when we are both showering"....no, I won't go there. I knew there was a problem with the size of my DEQ shower compared to those bath and a half models
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Not Hot Aqua Hot

I've had similar lack of hot water problems. At first I thought it was my lack of knowledge about Aqua Hot. Both my DW and I are not "shower lingering folks" but my Aqua Hot gets uncomfortable in about 6-7 minutes with either/both heat sources on. I called Entegra and also Aqua Hot. The Aqua Hot guy said they have been having trouble with the Aqua hots on the Entegras. Their opinion was it is the anti-scalding valve in the shower. The Aqua Hot guy said to take a shower, wait until the water gets cold, then try the sink to see if it still provides hot water. If the sink is cold the problem is in the Aqua hot control, burner setting or whatever. If the water in the sink is still hot, it's a shower problem. I called Entegra and they said it was either the shower mixing valve or the lack of a water conservation disk in the end of the shower hose. I am still tracking mine down. I think mine is the mix valve in the shower control.

I must say my old Monaco had a 10 gal Atwood heater that never run out of hot water for numerous showers.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Same here, first full shower, after a few minutes no more hot water. Stopped the water, (despite no water shutoff valve on the showerhead), let the AH catch up and was able to finish the shower. Switched to the fine setting on the spray pattern and seemed like AH could keep up a little better. May be a flow rate issue? Glad to hear some have a properly functioning unit. Attwood 10 gal on last coach gave us all the HW we needed and that was on electric only. We are on our way back to Middlebury to get our floor heat loop fixed so another item for the punch list.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Same here, first full shower, after a few minutes no more hot water. Stopped the water, (despite no water shutoff valve on the showerhead), let the AH catch up and was able to finish the shower. Switched to the fine setting on the spray pattern and seemed like AH could keep up a little better. May be a flow rate issue? Glad to hear some have a properly functioning unit. Attwood 10 gal on last coach gave us all the HW we needed and that was on electric only. We are on our way back to Middlebury to get our floor heat loop fixed so another item for the punch list.
I suspect an issue with the tempering valve which is inside the AquaHot case and is the first fitting where the hot waster comes out of the boiler. It's also called the mixing valve and mixes the hot coming out of the boiler with cold water to reduce the temp going into the coach. It's a wax valve and it sometimes needs to be exercised by rotating the valve to each direction.

I have also found, counter intuitive as it is, that low water pressure will have the same symptoms.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Hmmmm...."when we are both showering"....no, I won't go there. I knew there was a problem with the size of my DEQ shower compared to those bath and a half models
Hey - it's a lot more fun than saving water the Navy way...

Maybe I should have said "take showers back to back" - nah That wouldn't have helped.....

;-)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar issue with my 450DE Aqua-Hot unit. I replaced the stir pump with a newer more efficient model (say Roger Berke) and disassembled the mixer valve and cleaned it and problem solved. It's been three years since the fix and it's still working perfect. The mixer valve can be disassembled and cleaned even though I was told the opposite.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water