Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Atwood hot water tank

I have an Atwood 10 gal hot water heater. It works on Gas or Electric. My problem is that the water only gets warm, not hot. It used to get super hot. The temperature is the same on gas or electric. Of course this happened on a 5 day vacation. Had a new thermostat next day aired and installed it. Didn't fix the problem. All the connections look to be OK.

Suggestions.....
ktmnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
First check that the outside shower has hot and cold valves closed. If the shower head is off, but the faucets on, it can allow mixing of H/C causing the problem you describe. If you have an IR thermometer, you might shoot the outlet line on the WH, see if the water is cool there.

Does your RV have a mixing valve to reduce chance of scalding and extend HW capacity?

What thermostat did you install?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What Bflinn said!

If that is NOT it, my first check wiuld be to measure the actual temperature in the tank by taking some hot water from the PT relief valve. It should be in the 130-140 range. If it is, the heater is working fine and you are getting colder water mixed in somewhere outside the heater. If not, and it's the same on gas & electric, the heater isn't working correctly. Either the thermostat isn't installed properly against the tank wall or the control board isn't working right.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #4

Water heater uses same set of t-stats/ECO for electric and propane.
Both heat sources are working so circuit board, the t-stats, the Water Heater is functioning properly.

They heat or DON'T.....

Warm water is result of COLD mixing in with HOT coming out of water heater.

That could be due to:
*** water heater 'Bypass' valve open or leaking by (lot of leaking needed to cool HOT water down)
*** shower(s) turned off via button on handle vs hot/cold knobs closed

******OR
IF you have an XT Model with a mixing valve ---mixing valve is clogged up and only cold water is flowing thru it (Hot out of 160*F from water heater and cold from inlet line come together in mixing valve for a 130*F hot supply)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I checked the outside shower and it was off. Then I got under the sink and found one of the valves that should have been closed, open. Closed the valve and instant super hot water. Not sure how we made it through the summer without having this issue. Guess we liked our cold showers in the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
First check that the outside shower has hot and cold valves closed. If the shower head is off, but the faucets on, it can allow mixing of H/C causing the problem you describe. If you have an IR thermometer, you might shoot the outlet line on the WH, see if the water is cool there.

Does your RV have a mixing valve to reduce chance of scalding and extend HW capacity?

What thermostat did you install?
ktmnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:21 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
we had the same problem and the mixing valve was bad . The valve is located on the HW tank. The valve mixes cold water with the hot water to lower temp as Atwood has extremely hot water and is mixed to avoid burning user. That is if the HW heater is working. I was able to purge a little water out of drain in tank to determine if it was producing hot water
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnoel View Post
I have an Atwood 10 gal hot water heater. .....
I bet Harbaugh could fix it......lol!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, tank, water