Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #1

Hi- I have a 37 foot Pace Arrow motor home with a 6 gallon Atwood water heater model #G6A-8E. After inspecting the water heater and reading the owner's manual, I am unable to find any anode on the water heater. Am I missing something? If it does not have a anode, how does the water heater control any oxidizing elements without an anode? Thanks!!!
Jim 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #2

Hi- I have a 37 foot Pace Arrow motor home with a 6 gallon Atwood water heater model #G6A-8E. After inspecting the water heater and reading the owner's manual, I am unable to find any anode on the water heater. Am I missing something? If it does not have a anode, how does the water heater control any oxidizing elements without an anode? Thanks!!!
Jim 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Atwood does not use or need an anode rod. Their tanks are aluminum.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Atwood does not use or need an anode rod. Their tanks are aluminum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, an anode would hurt the Atwoods aluminum tank.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #5

Remove the drain plug and a anode rod for a suburan should fit in the drain hole.Im on my third anode rod since we got our MH in 92.take your drain plug down to camping world and match the size and threads.I use to work part time at a Rv repair shop.We replaced at least 3 or 4 every year that were aluminum that were pitted from from the inside out.
pep65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #6

Do NOT use an anode rod in your Atwood hot water heater. Continue to use just the nylon plug. As another here mentioned Atwood uses an aluminum tank liner.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
As others have said, the Atwood tank is aluminum and does not require an anode. Since my new coach has an Atwood I inquired to the factory and they said not only was an anode not necessary but installing one would create dissimular metal corrousion between the aluminum tank threads and steel on the anode threads. I think the better solution would be to drain and flush the tank with a tank flushing wand twice a year. Personally I use a Camco hose filter to reduce at least some of the water minerals entering the coach. I also use teflon tape on the nylon plug so it will remove easy next time. And today I put a new flea collar in the water heater and fridge cabinets. It will repel those pesky hornets and mud daubers from setting up house.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Sent an email to Atwood to inquire as to this very subject. Here, without comment, is the exchange:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
We're having a disscussion on IRV2 as to
putting an anode rod in an Atwood Water
heater will cause damage to the unit. Input from the manufracture would be welcome.

So--- knowing that Atwood claims that
there is no need for an Anode Rod, will
installing one anyway cause any harm to
the unit?

Thank you for visiting our website. A few things regarding an anode rode.
If the water heater is under warranty, installing an anode will void the
warranty. Anode rods usually have steel threads which can "weld" to the
aluminum threads which can cause substantial damage to the tank. Our tanks
are constructed of a core of high strength aluminum. This material protects
the tank from the affects of heavy metals and salts found in waters
throughout the country. It is anodic to these heavy metals and acts much
like an anode in a steel glass lined tank except it will last much longer.

If you have more questions, please include all previous correspondence when
replying.

Sincerely,

Janis
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>