Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Auto Leveling Jacks Problem

My front hydraulic Leveling Jacks are not coming completely up also very slow in retracting. Tried three times finally got all four up. Its just the front the rear two go up and down rather quickly. Noticed a grease zert and greased it on front two but didn't notice any improvement. Where do you check the fluid level on a 2005 Fleetwood Providence? Any ideas as to what is going wrong? Thx
mrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

Hello, I doubt you have a fluid problem. Sounds like a weak return spring, a sticking or clogged solenoid valve or.. well there could be a couple of things.

Do you know what brand leveling system you have?

Also a phone call to the manufacture of the leveling system technical service also might help. I once had issues with our HWH system (jacks did not return) and I diagnosed it with their technician, ordered the parts and fixed the problem.

Also you could try spraying silicone on them when they are extended and then try to retract them. Just do not keep putting them up and down, on a HWH system you can overheat the solenoids.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Find out who makes them and either call them (HWH) or send them an email (Power Gear).
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

Take some silicone spray and spray the chrome cylinders and then retract and extend them the rubbers get dry and they don't come up properly. Easy fix
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same problem. Started religiously spraying the rods prior to braking camp. Within a year (really - took a whole year) they smoothed out, worked fine, and a small leak actually disappeared. Used spray silicon from the local dollar store - the same stuff I use on my Falcon hitch. Advise - keep an eye on the fluid level.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When its time for springs take a look at this thread, one of many in QT's 1 &2 and the new # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Another thing to check is the valve that opens to release the fluid back into the tank, that may need to be pulled and cleaned. If it has a little debris it can act like a slow drain. No idea where to locate that valve but it is there.
EQSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubetcha View Post
Take some silicone spray and spray the chrome cylinders and then retract and extend them the rubbers get dry and they don't come up properly. Easy fix
I spoke with HWH and they said to use WD40, not silicone. Go figure.

WD40, dont break camp without it.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I am not challenging the other Company, but I have been selling, servicing jacks for 13 years. The only time you should ever use WD40 on a chrome ram is if you have some light rust. WD40 is an oil base and attracts dirt and grime. You may want to get a second opinion.
EQSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
jr1

Started to have asimlar problem yesterday. Front right jack (vertical type, not pivot). did not retract fully. Extended and retracted the jacks a couple of times and it would not extend the second time either. io found that if i tapped underneath the plate with a hammer it gradually manged to work back up, but still will not extend. I talked to HWH and our dealer. Both siad it sounds like low fluid level and air in the system. Getting some HWH fluid lunchtime at CW and will check that out tonight and report back. Checking the fluid is easy and purging the air is automatic. With the jack fully ertracted, you hold the manuala retract buttons for 3 seconds and it does a purge cycle.

BTW: HWH do say if you need to lubricate them use WD40 and only WD40. Silcone may destroy the seals. The fluid is basically brake fluid - not hydraulic oil (you can use the equivalent grade brake fluid). Using silicone brake fluid in a regular brake system will destroy the seals. it's is also siad the silicone lube used on..um... other latex products... will destroy them also. So it does make sense. I would not worry about dirt sticking to them. These are a industrial strenght hydraulic cylinder, exposed to the under chassis elements. They exclude dirt very well. Look and backhoes, etc. Tow hitches have clearance - they are not sealed cylinders, so the dirt can get in them. That's why RoadMaster says do not use WD40 or other "wet" oil base lubes.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1 View Post
Started to have asimlar problem yesterday. Front right jack (vertical type, not pivot). did not retract fully. Extended and retracted the jacks a couple of times and it would not extend the second time either. io found that if i tapped underneath the plate with a hammer it gradually manged to work back up, but still will not extend. I talked to HWH and our dealer. Both siad it sounds like low fluid level and air in the system. Getting some HWH fluid lunchtime at CW and will check that out tonight and report back. Checking the fluid is easy and purging the air is automatic. With the jack fully ertracted, you hold the manuala retract buttons for 3 seconds and it does a purge cycle.

BTW: HWH do say if you need to lubricate them use WD40 and only WD40. Silcone may destroy the seals. The fluid is basically brake fluid - not hydraulic oil (you can use the equivalent grade brake fluid). Using silicone brake fluid in a regular brake system will destroy the seals. it's is also siad the silicone lube used on..um... other latex products... will destroy them also. So it does make sense. I would not worry about dirt sticking to them. These are a industrial strenght hydraulic cylinder, exposed to the under chassis elements. They exclude dirt very well. Look and backhoes, etc. Tow hitches have clearance - they are not sealed cylinders, so the dirt can get in them. That's why RoadMaster says do not use WD40 or other "wet" oil base lubes.
DO NOT PUT ANY TYPE OR KIND OF BRAKE FLUID IN AN HWH RESERVOIR.
hwh hydraulic fluid is dexron lll transmission fluid without the red color.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1 View Post
............BTW: HWH do say if you need to lubricate them use WD40 and only WD40. Silcone may destroy the seals. The fluid is basically brake fluid - not hydraulic oil (you can use the equivalent grade brake fluid). Using silicone brake fluid in a regular brake system will destroy the seals. it's is also siad the silicone lube used on..um... other latex products... will destroy them also. So it does make sense. I would not worry about dirt sticking to them. These are a industrial strenght hydraulic cylinder, exposed to the under chassis elements. They exclude dirt very well. Look and backhoes, etc. Tow hitches have clearance - they are not sealed cylinders, so the dirt can get in them. That's why RoadMaster says do not use WD40 or other "wet" oil base lubes.
Wow! That is such a contradiction of terms regarding petroleum based products on rubber. However, one must go by what the manufacturer states is their procedure.

I do not have an HWH system and my manual states to use silicone for lubrication. Go figure.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Find out who makes them and either call them (HWH) or send them an email (Power Gear).
Power Gear will not respond to emails. They have no phone # to call either. They used to be an excellent CS company. Now they no longer support their customers. Phone message says see a dealer.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Power Gear will not respond to emails. They have no phone # to call either. They used to be an excellent CS company. Now they no longer support their customers. Phone message says see a dealer.
That is not so. They do respond to emails and quickly. If additional help is needed they'll call you. info@powergearus.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling