Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Auto or Manual Leveling?

Happy Fourth Y'all!!

SInce we could not get away this holiday weekend, I am spending my time tinkering around the RV and checking in on the Casey Anthony trial... (I must admit...I am hooked on the lawyers arguments...and please...no lawyer jokes. I am one, but I am a public service attorney...one of the good guys...)

Back to my question. I notice that even when my coach is parked in a fairly level spot. All of the levelers deploy and extend rather far in auromatic mode. This means that if there is one spot that is a little lower than the other three spots, since all levelers are coming down and trying to raise the coach...the one that must compensate for the low spot is extending really far.

Why are all my levelers extending so much on automatic mode? Is this normal? And would I be better off doing the leveling manually so that three of the levelers are only extending a small amount and the final one would extend only slightly more?

I am using blocks of wood under the leveler feet to prevent the feet from sinking into my asphalt dooryard (driveway), and when we need them at a sandy or muddy campground. Should I "build-up" any single spot with wood blocks to avoid too much leveler extension on any one leg? Sometimes when I attempt this, one of the front tires comes off the ground. And yes...I am using wheel chocks in front of my wheels at all times.

Thank you in advance for your advice and opinions.

Faith and Bob, Bitsy the Papillon and Bosco the Chi-weenie....RIP Truffles
2005 Revolution LE - 2008 Honda CRV Toad
Northern Massachusetts and the rest of the Country.
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When parked at home, I use 6 inches of combined blocks to keep the jack extension to a minimum. I like to take most of the weight off the tires, but having the jacks to a lot of extension weakens the return springs over time.

2005 KSCA 3778 on 04 W22
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
jack deployment

On my 03 Revolution I always use the manual mode. I extend the rears until they just make ground contact then extend the front to raise it a couple of inches, then finally adjust the rears for height as well as side to side levelling. I agree the auto mode seems to set the coach too high.
dperetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you let the air out of your bags? My autoleveler raises mine too much also. I use manual level most of the time.
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
You should always dump your air bags before leveling.
I prefer manual mode.
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Have an LCI system, generally use in manual mode, will use auto from time to time to exercise/ensure it works, but only on sites that are very close to level. Likewise I find auto seems to put you up higher than required. I feel it is in part as it puts the rams down to a set pressure and works all four zones before final level. ie Front, Rear, Left, Right. I have found if I do all four zones in the manual mode I do seem to get less settlement, probally due to more consistant ground contact.

2007 Georgetown 373 f53
1997 Adventurer 32 WQ - P-32
2007 Colorado
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote

leveling, manual