Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Auto Park problems

We bought a 95 Winebago Vectra Wide Body,last fall.It only had 9600 miles on it.Thought we got a pretty good deal.First the gen.wouldn't stay running.Then the Fittings from propane tank to reg. were cracked.Next the water heater wouldn't light,bad board.Replaced front air bags.Went camping this last weekend,and when I tried to back into the space the auto park came on and locked up the brakes.Lucky we had a little incline,so I put it in nuetral and rolled it in.Any help will be Greatly appreciated.Thanks Jaque1

jaque1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
I have a 95 Adventurer. Stored inside all of it's life until I got it 4 years ago. Your enemy is time. Your motorhome is 15-16 years old. Even if you didn't drive it things still continue to deteriorate. Electrical connections, rubber, plastic, decals, etc will continue to 'break down". My best advice, go to the Winnebago website and down load all of the wiring and plumbing schematics you can get. Study them so you will know how things work and where they are. We average 14,000 miles a year on our rig, and I have never taken it on a trip, long or short, that something didn't quit working and need repaired. The alternative is to buy a new rig and spend months at the dealer's shop trying to get things working.

Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
I forgot to mention about your parking brake problem. The shop manual that you can buy from vendors outlines how to adjust the linkage under the steering wheel / dash area to keep that from happening.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
A friends 95 Southwind was activating the "Auto Park" function when shift lever was moved into reverse, all's it took was a minor shift lever linkage adjustment to solve the problem. Was fixed in less than 10 minutes by a local tranmission shop.

Might be worth trying to exercise the shift linkage a little bit to see if that may free things up, especially if it has been sitting for some time. As others will probably say sometimes just letting these things sit idle is as bad, if not worse, than constant use, maintenance wise.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything"
2008 Newmar VTDP - 3330 - ISBXT 350 Spartan NVS
Toad - 2013 Mini Cooper S or 93 Nissan 4WD PU
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
For Autopark issues, THE guru is Roger Haag. you can find him on the RV.net forum under the "handle" of "Oldusebear". A very helpful guy and knows more about Autopark than anyone at Workhorse.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #6

Commercial Member
Send a message via AIM to oemtech
You can contact him here Oldusedbear

You can also read all about the J71 Autopark on my web site J71 Autopark and maybe review the J71 Autopark Parts List
Dale/aka-Oemy Oemy's UltraPower Performance
oemtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Mike Thomas hit the screw right on the head. My observations on MH reliability are as follows : For the first two years, you'll be spending a lot of time at the dealer..... it's called infant mortality. During years 2 thru 8, it'll be pretty reliable overall. After year 8, the wear & tear type failures show up.
Good luck.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi I new here and have a '95 southwind and had autopark problems with it, well I could get our MH to reverse but my DH had some difficulty backing the MH up. We had MH serviced and then I had trouble getting it to reverse. As we franticly tried to get the MH parked in our driveway DH found a switch and when he hit it, the autopark brakes seemed to "let go" (and we were not expecting that! it was quite startling) and we were able to get the MH parked. Not sure if that is a safe option but our MH was like that when we purchased it. As long as we flip the switch we can reverse the MH without any problems.

momoflots21 is offline   Reply With Quote