Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 AM   #1

has anyone ever had these on their rig and if so what did you think of them and what wasthe cost?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 AM   #2

has anyone ever had these on their rig and if so what did you think of them and what wasthe cost?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:43 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
These systems were developed for trucks that have nothing surrounding the drive wheels. I would think that there is a good possibility they would tear up a coach.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #4

The cost for the Auto Chains is around $2000 to $3000 depending on the set up. You can check out tirechains.com they have them on that site. As far as damaging the coach I guess I dont understand how that would happen, as the chains and equipment are attached to the axle area then lowered so that the chains spin between the ground and the tires. Maybe "Ithrnk" can elaborate on what he is taking about.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I think you are correct Poltax. I know they use them on some of the school buses here in Northern Nevada.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #6

... and they are approved by the California Highway Patrol for use on school buses in this state.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They use them on the public buses on the mountain and they work very well.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #8

We used to order them on our fire trucks. We have had some damage due to malfumctions. We don't order them anymore, but I do live in TX. and we only need chains a couple of times per year. We use the quick attach cable type with good results.
fireman75234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #9

This www.autosock.us might be all you need. Made for trucks, super easy to store (i.e. RV friendly), Colorado chain law approved (what better recommendation), and very easy to install as well as relatively inexpensive.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #10

Try this site for info.I don't have them on my motorhome but have wondered, as you have, if they would work .www.onspot.com

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #11

We have them on a couple of our school busses and our local ambulance. They do indeed work well, as we have some steep hills in SE Minn. I do not remember the price at this time, however I do remember they were not cheap.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Grumpy Dave's posted link for Onspot is what we have on all our firetrucks. We've found them useful in up to 3" of snow. Anything deeper requires full wheel chains. They make alot of noise in their stowed position however. The jingling of hanging chain is unmistakable and annoying. I do not know their cost but our mechanics tell me they're low maintenance.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #13

Like many here, my FD sits in the middle of the Sierra Nevada just North of Lake Tahoe, and we have a station in what is known as Donner Summit at an elevation of 7200'. So we have our share of snow. After 30 years here, I would not drive my motorhome with chains on due to the very real damage caused by broken links on fiberglass bodies. I like my motorhome too much to have the pitting from the gravel they use on the roads they call sand, and the salt mix they use to keep the ice down. Don't fool yourself, they still use what we call "hot" loads.

Now, to the question at hand. We use "on spot" auto chains on everything in conjunction with single chains on the outside wheels up to 5". This is about the point where auto chains have diminished returns. Still nothing that works as good as the old chains. All of our tandem axle vehicles get dual chains on both sets of drivers.

The on spot chains fit nicely under the rig and use air from the on board system of air brake equipped vehicles, or have a air compressor for apparatus that don't. I would caution on any back road campground antics as they hang very low. Very cool watching sparks fly from the on spot's chains hitting the ground when your following them at night. By the way, the chain links are easily replaced.

Cables are an option if wheel clearance is an issue, but don't work as well as chains. Summing it up; motorhomes and chains go together like a pitbull and a poodle! Go South

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote