Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

For quite some time I've been concerned about fires in motorhomes. If it's a small fire inside, and you can get to it quickly, you might be able to put it out. However, there's plenty of RVs that have been completely consumed by fire. RVs are loaded full of stuff that's just waiting to burn and once a fire gets started, it's extremely hard to stop. Generally the coach will burn to the ground within 15 minutes.

After checking these fires out more, several things became apparent. First, it seems that diesel pushers are the ones that most commonly burn to the ground. Second, these fires begin in the engine compartment. Third, by the time the driver notices the fire it's already well under way and there's nothing you can do.

This makes sense. DPs have a great amount of heat and combustible materials back there. Remember last year's service recall by Tiffin to have a wiring harness checked and possibly relocated so that it wouldn't catch fire on the hot exhaust? How about a few of the Cummins ISLs that have had cracked fuel lines? Spraying fuel all over a hot turbo or muffler is one way to go shopping for a new RV real quick.

So, I had decided to install some sort of system to handle this. I had been putting it off because I had more important upgrades to do - like entertainment system mods, digital tank sensors, etc. I guess that's just human nature but with a recent rash of RV fires during this hot summer I finally got around to it. Besides, I was running out of other stuff to do.

After spending a ton of time researching this stuff, I decided to install a Cold Fire automatic fire extinguishing system in the engine bay of my 42QRP. I also installed a dash mounted remote monitoring system that would alert me when driving should the system discharge. That would give me enough time to pull over and shut down the engine. At that point hopefully the fire will be out. If not, it will at least fight a holding action until I can further attack it with a handheld unit. Last resort is we get more time to evacuate and maybe grab a few things.

This is a pretty important consideration so I documented the install on my website and also put up a web page dealing with the various fire classes, extinguishers, etc that are applicable to RVers.

Check out this link - www.RVcruzer.com/fireindex.htm for more info and pictures of the install. There's also links to some other websites that will give you better detailed information than I can.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

For quite some time I've been concerned about fires in motorhomes. If it's a small fire inside, and you can get to it quickly, you might be able to put it out. However, there's plenty of RVs that have been completely consumed by fire. RVs are loaded full of stuff that's just waiting to burn and once a fire gets started, it's extremely hard to stop. Generally the coach will burn to the ground within 15 minutes.

After checking these fires out more, several things became apparent. First, it seems that diesel pushers are the ones that most commonly burn to the ground. Second, these fires begin in the engine compartment. Third, by the time the driver notices the fire it's already well under way and there's nothing you can do.

This makes sense. DPs have a great amount of heat and combustible materials back there. Remember last year's service recall by Tiffin to have a wiring harness checked and possibly relocated so that it wouldn't catch fire on the hot exhaust? How about a few of the Cummins ISLs that have had cracked fuel lines? Spraying fuel all over a hot turbo or muffler is one way to go shopping for a new RV real quick.

So, I had decided to install some sort of system to handle this. I had been putting it off because I had more important upgrades to do - like entertainment system mods, digital tank sensors, etc. I guess that's just human nature but with a recent rash of RV fires during this hot summer I finally got around to it. Besides, I was running out of other stuff to do.

After spending a ton of time researching this stuff, I decided to install a Cold Fire automatic fire extinguishing system in the engine bay of my 42QRP. I also installed a dash mounted remote monitoring system that would alert me when driving should the system discharge. That would give me enough time to pull over and shut down the engine. At that point hopefully the fire will be out. If not, it will at least fight a holding action until I can further attack it with a handheld unit. Last resort is we get more time to evacuate and maybe grab a few things.

This is a pretty important consideration so I documented the install on my website and also put up a web page dealing with the various fire classes, extinguishers, etc that are applicable to RVers.

Check out this link - www.RVcruzer.com/fireindex.htm for more info and pictures of the install. There's also links to some other websites that will give you better detailed information than I can.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #3

Interesting....thanks for the post..
Old 08-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As always your the man with good info.
Has been said by some that Foam fire extinguishers work better would it be possible in this case? Excuse the question you are useing a Foam extinguisher.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #5

Mark, three things; first, and foremost you have done a great service to your fellow RVers and hopefully some of us will take heed and do a similar installation.

Secondly, maybe you should share your article with some of the more progressive motor home manufactures whereby they might consider offering such a system as a very practical option on future models.

Thirdly, you might also consider sharing your installation with your insurance carrier whereby they should offer you a significant discount similar to what they do for we bricks and sticks owners who opt to install a home monitoring/reporting system.

In any event I for one thank you for sharing a very informative and well documented message that could be life saving to anyone of us out on the road, Ken,'04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Cruzer,

Ditto's to what Ken posted.
Thank you
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys, I think I'll check on the insurance company discount.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #8

Excellent info and Great Post. I took a few minutes to check out your Website also...You have completed some fantastic looking upgrades. Nice Work!!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 AM   #9

Mark,

Since we lost our 95 Vectra (P32) last year we still have moments of panic when we git a wiff of smoke etc. It could be road work or a tar kettle nearby but after having to evacuate the wife, children and pets from a moving vehicle with no brakes, traveling at highway speeds, it does come back on you.

Does this unit seem appropriate for use on an F53. Almost looks like I would need two or have to mount the head remote from the bottle.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #10

Great Post !!!!!!!!! Now you have me putting on my thinking cap. Thought that I about had everything all updated on my MH -- now I have something else to look into. But don't get me wrong -- I think we should all have these in our rigs -- better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

Thanks for the post !!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Neil, I don't see why it wouldn't work on an F53. The sprinkler head shoots in a 10' radius circle. If you can keep it high enough it should bounce off of everything and give you pretty good coverage. I'd check with MacThe FireGuy for better details. He's probably done it before and would have firsthand experience with that.