Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are situations where I do not want the steps to automatically extend when the door is opened. In particular, when I am parked curb side. When extending when I am parked curb side they hit whatever curbing is there and then stop, (no damage YET). I am also a little gun shy since the ˜automatic' extension feature on steps on a previous motor home extended "automatically" just as I was driving onto the Golden Gate Bridge.

Is it possible to make modifications to where the automatic retraction always works but one can turn off the automatic extension, including the first time the door is opened after the ignition key is turned off (with a switch or something)?

I already have a steps switch and it does stop the steps from extending and/or retracting, BUT, it will not stop the steps from extending the first time the door is opened after the ignition key is turned off.

I asked the Monaco factory about it and their response was:

"I'm sorry to say that I would not know how to bypass the step operation and for safety reasons, would not be able to advise on how to do it for reasons of liability."

Just-A-Thought: Since there is a switch there that already does defeat the automatic steps, (˜except' for the first time the door is opened after the ignition key is turned off), it seems odd that they are liable only the first time the door is opened after the ignition key is turned off.

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are situations where I do not want the steps to automatically extend when the door is opened. In particular, when I am parked curb side. When extending when I am parked curb side they hit whatever curbing is there and then stop, (no damage YET). I am also a little gun shy since the ˜automatic' extension feature on steps on a previous motor home extended "automatically" just as I was driving onto the Golden Gate Bridge.

Is it possible to make modifications to where the automatic retraction always works but one can turn off the automatic extension, including the first time the door is opened after the ignition key is turned off (with a switch or something)?

I already have a steps switch and it does stop the steps from extending and/or retracting, BUT, it will not stop the steps from extending the first time the door is opened after the ignition key is turned off.

I asked the Monaco factory about it and their response was:

"I'm sorry to say that I would not know how to bypass the step operation and for safety reasons, would not be able to advise on how to do it for reasons of liability."

Just-A-Thought: Since there is a switch there that already does defeat the automatic steps, (˜except' for the first time the door is opened after the ignition key is turned off), it seems odd that they are liable only the first time the door is opened after the ignition key is turned off.

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 06-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I understand your problem but it might not be as bad of a problem is you currently believe. The steps are supposed to stop, not based on position but based on increased current flowing to the motor. When the steps run into something (like a curb) the motor tries to push them against it, draws more current and the controller turns off the voltage to the motor - at least in theory.

I'd agree with Monaco that it is a safety hazard to disable the steps. I had a step controller failure recently and could have manually uncoupled the lift bar, strapped up the steps until I got the the CG and then removed the strap and allowed the steps to drop. I was worried about things that could happen between home and the CG and decided that it just wasn't worth taking the risk. In the case of a MH fire, for example, you may only have seconds to get out. I'd like a chance for the steps to be there in an emergency. Maybe I'm just to conservative.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for response. If the motor works as you say, stops based upon the current increase not on position and no damage is incurred, I'd prefer to leave it alone as you suggested. I'll do some more checking and try to insure that is the case. Thanks for putting me on that track.

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 06-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine have always stopped when resistance is met.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #6

Our coach retracting step has three steps, and I was considering cutting off the bottom step because it often hit curbs. I decided not to since we sometimes are parked where the height to that first step is quite a bit. Since the mechanism seems to handle the occasional stop against some obstruction, I can live with it.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only issue I have had with my 3 step unit is that it managed to get hung on a curb. The resistance was great enough to where the step could not retract. I thought about just easing forward to see if I could drag it off without damage, but the thought of tweaking the unit bothered me. I used the jacks to raise that side of the MH and got it closed without damage.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I have experienced the hung step at curbside as well. Having to extend a jack and hope it doesn't overextend is not my idea of fun.

I now just pull the fuse on the step when I know we will park at curbside (like when we're parked in front of our house to load or unload), then I pop the fuse back in once we pull away a short distance. Not perfect, but it works for us.