Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #1

Unhappy aux 30 amp fuse trips when converter is plugged in

Haven't seen this exact problem, but my 30 amp aux. fuse trips when i plug my converter into a 110 outlet. I charged my coach batteries... Do I need a new converter? Mine in a intellipower 9000, probably original in my 95' pace arrow. Thanks for any help you might have.
Mike
ccp9150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Mike, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy this website and forums.
Disconnect the DC cables out of the converter and use a volt meter to check the voltage output. You say you charged the battery. Was that with a free standing charger? and was it before your problem with the converter? Check the polarity of the cables from the battery when you have them disconnected from the converter.
How old are the batteries and do they hold a good charge for awhile? If the batteries are extremely low and the converter's charging rate is over 30 amps this could be the problem and it would be a battery issue. Let us know what you find and we will go from there. Good luck and enjoy the site.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am inclinded to expand on what Wizard said.

You said it's a INtellapower 9000, Can you be more specific, FIrst there is the 9100 which can be with or without the charge wizard,

Then the 9200 (which is a 9100 with built in wizard)

and then you have the last two numbers

If the last two numbers are say 60, or 80 and the batteries are VERY LOW.. the 30 amp fuse ani't going to take the charge, no way

On the other hand if it's 20, you have a problem.

You also said "Breaker keeps triping"

Is this a 12 volt breaker?

On MY Coach (I know mine is not yours, in fact in this specific case mine is not mine, but, well.. I'll get to that)

I have an Intelletec Battery Control Center.. Now, Damon did not use the 30 amp manual re-set breakers that Itelletec shows in the manual I downloaded, (They used an self-resetting thermal breaker that is just as good) (That's why mine is not mine for this discussion)

But the diagrams from Intelletec show not one but TWO 30 amp post type (Push in to reset) breakers... they are wired in parallel

You said "Breaker".... And what's more you said "AUX BREAKER" which suggest to me you have two breakers and you are thinking, due to their placement, AUX and MAIN.

In reality they are parrallel, the other breaker may be tripped, try resetting it.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome. The converter # is PD 9055, My batteries are (2) 12 volt optima blue tops 1 year old. The breaker is a 120 type above the fridge. Main / Optional Air Conditioner / Portable Appliances / General Purpose / General Purpose / Microwave. The Portable Appliance breaker trips when the converter is plugged in to 120. I had my 7500 generator brushes repaired last year. Shortly after that (use my rv 4 times a year) the shore power when plugged in wouldn't work. The shop said there was a short somewhere in the back bedroom area and said it would be easier to just disconnect the power to the plugs in the bedroom, so they did. Now i have retired and want to hit the road more but need to get it right. Thanks, Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now that is interesting.. a 55 amp converter should draw way less than 10 amps, no more. (in fact less than 7)

Since it's the "Portable appliance" breaker, this suggests it runs outlets in the unit.. Is it perhaps a GFCI breaker? (Will have a test button on it if it is, more than likely) I know they make them, I've seen a few. Some converters do not play nice with GFCI, but I've nto heard of that problem with PDI products.. While I do not know the folks at PDI.. I know folks who know folks as it were.. (My Mother once did a computer consult for PDI, yes, she was a computer expert,,,, as am I but in a different area of computers (Which is why I tend to stay out of computer threads here )

There are several posibilities.. I am afraid I'd need hands on and a slightly better tool box to figure it out.

But it is possible the converter has an issue... Here is a thought, there is one very handy test tool. I mean VERY handy, In my not so humble opinion it's worth right about $1,000.00... but that's not the price,, the price is closer to 19.95 if you get it on sale.. Kill-a-watt P3 (or just about any of them)

If you can get that converter to plug in anywhere without triping a breaker.. (Even if it means runing an extension cord to it) plug the Kill-a-watt in, press the AMPS button, and plug the converter in

NOTE: The Kill-a-watt has a non-replaceable internal fuse.. You may pop it. That said.. I hit 19 amps on mine for a few seconds and it still works.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks, i'll check it out. I ran the 120 from outside and it still popped. Is it possible the converter needs replacing? When it cools off outside i'll disconnect the dc cables.
Thanks, Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccp9150 View Post
Thanks, i'll check it out. I ran the 120 from outside and it still popped. Is it possible the converter needs replacing? When it cools off outside i'll disconnect the dc cables.
Thanks, Mike

If you plugged the inverter in from a source outside the motorhome and this same C/B pops, it suggests to me that the problem is on the various OUTPUTS being fed by the converter and not the converter itself.

Have you tried unplugging or disconnecting the various equipments, whatever they are, and re-testing? If that fails you are into tracing and opening the various sockets that are fed by that C/B. Could be a fun job!!!
Alfa38User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ok, with the full description of the actual scenario, we can better analyze the problem.
We need to determine if the charger is bad. Disconnect the load and reset the tripped breaker. Does it hold? If not the charger is bad and must be repaired or replaced.
Are you wanting to get the bedroom receptacle circuits going again? If so do you think you can describe where the repair shop disconnected it, what breaker(s) it tripped and all pertinent information?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #9

converter trip

How do I take the load off, there is a small space under the stove where it is located. Do I take the converter out. Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You should be able to remove the fasteners that hold the converter in place. Usually there is plenty of excess cable and wiring to get it out side of the cabinet to do repairs or replacement.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #11

converter trip

Thanks, i'll give it a try, I appreciate the help.
Mike
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #12

Well thanks for all your help. I put the new intelli 9260 with wizard control panel ($154 + $11.99 from ebay) works great, simple installation. (I tend to think things are more difficult they actually are). Ebay was the cheapest. I got the link from this forum. Thanks, Mike