Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Auxiliary Start Switch not working

I have a 06 Discovery 39L. The auxiliary start switch is not working. I hold the switch down while trying to start.(nothing??)
The generator starts so I know the house battery are Ok.
I have it connected to shore power but the chassis batteries are not being charged.

Can anyone tell me how to locate the solenoid? Any help would be appreciated.

Joe
jobo44655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Don't own a Fleetwood coach but here's my guess.

Chances the solenoid is located close to the location of both the house and chassis batteries. This will reduce voltage drop. Trace the large red wires from each of these banks and they should come together onto a solenoid. The house batteries will be on one side and the chassis on the other.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobo44655 View Post
I have a 06 Discovery 39L. The auxiliary start switch is not working. I hold the switch down while trying to start.(nothing??)
The generator starts so I know the house battery are Ok.
I have it connected to shore power but the chassis batteries are not being charged.

Can anyone tell me how to locate the solenoid? Any help would be appreciated.

Joe
Joe,
We too don't have a Fleetwood product but, if your coach is on a Freightliner chassis, there's some things here that need to be cleared up before we proceed with the most applicable answer to your situation. It's a long story but, the short one is, at least in Winnebago and Itasca products, Winne and Itascas did not have chassis battery charging capabilities prior to late '05 or early '06. Many Winne and Itasca owners would return to their coaches after even a semi-long storage period and, found the chassis batteries dead, even when the coaches were left plugged in.

Well, Winne finally figured out how to remedy this dead chassis battery situation. They started adding what's called the "Trik-L-Start" unit. In short, it's not a battery charger. It's simply a small black box, about the size of a pack of cigarettes that, when plugged into shore power, it sees the difference in the voltage between the chassis batteries and the house batteries.

When it see's a .5 V difference, it jumps into action. It will simply "siphon" off some of the intended charging, from the local Inverter/charger, that's intended for the house batteries, and send it to the chassis batteries. The only limitation of it is, it's limited to a maximum of 5 amps that can be diverted to the chassis batteries which, for most cases, is just fine.

Now, does any of this long winded stuff apply to you? Well, maybe and maybe not. You say your coach is an '06. And, if it's a Freightliner and, Fleetwood did the same thing that Winne and Itasca did, they too might have added that "Trik-L-Start" to your system. But, only you or, maybe a knowledgeable Fleetwood tech or owner might chime in to say whether your coach is supposed to have something like the Trik-L-Start, or not.

Now, all this info so far, applies to CHARGING THE CHASSIS batteries, while plugged into shore power. And, since you're experiencing DEAD chassis batteries AFTER it's been plugged in for a reasonable amount of time, then it's safe to assume, that if you have something like the Trik-L-Start, it's malfunctioning or, there's a break in line some place that's causing the chassis batteries to go dead.

Now, as for your "Auxiliary Start" or, "Boost" switch non-function, well that's a whole 'nother story. On Winne and Itasca products, it's not anywhere near the batteries, as one of your posters suggested it should be. In fact, on many Itascas, it's at the opposite end of the coach, from the batteries. A seriously stupid move by Winne and Itasca.

But, I have no idea where that solenoid would be located on your coach. And, in our cases of Winne and Itasca, that same solenoid is also responsible for linking the house and chassis batteries together for charging, from the engines alternator. So, I know this has been a long answer but, your problem may have multiple issues, that are not working all at the same time. So, some investigation into whether or not you have any form of chassis battery charging, i.e. the Trik-L-Start or, anything like it, when plugged into shore power.

And second, to find out if that Auxiliary boost solenoid, does the same dual duty, on your Fleetwood coach, as it does with our Itasca. Let us know when you find out..
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #4

jobo44655-

Here's a link to a post from a similar prior iRV2 thread. The link in that post is dead, but "Old Bounder" is alive; you may want to send him a private message.

Here's a link to another "Old Bounder" post from a similar thread.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Joe;

Below is a photo of the Trik-L-Start that Scott mentioned and the auxiliary start solenoid in our '06 Itasca. Your Fleetwood may be different, but this is a starting point for where to look. The solenoid is the large, silver can in the lower part of the photo. I had the same problem with the Itasca, the solenoid had quit and neither the boost nor the engine charging feature would work. I added the Trik-L-Start to keep the chassis batteries charged while on shoe power or generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryRelayCharger.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	123576  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote