Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Avoiding winterizing

I need to spend Dec in a winter climate in my class A motor home. I can hook up to shore power but don’t have a heated water source. If I keep my furnace on will my pipes freeze?
jewelsabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You need to supply a lot more information, how cold, will you skirt your RV, do you have something to tell you how colour set gay is. Do you have an extra $5,000.00 for repairs. If it was me I would purchase a small air compressor and blow air through all my lines, you are still taking a big chance.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsabia View Post
I need to spend Dec in a winter climate in my class A motor home. I can hook up to shore power but don’t have a heated water source. If I keep my furnace on will it freeze my pipes?
i seriously doubt that running the furnace will cause your pipes to freeze. in fact, it will likely have the opposite effect.

you don't indicate the make/mode/yr of your MH. newer models likely direct heat to the water pump, lines and fresh tank while older models may not. and "newer" and "older" will likely mean different things depending on the mfg. keep in mind that the black and gray tanks may not receive heat. it will also depend on where you will be in December. northern minnesota or southern illinois? both have winter but minnesota has OMG WINTER!! while southern illinois has winter. and i assume you'll be living in the MH as opposed to storing it? you might want to rent an extended stay lp tank cuz if its OMG WINTER! you'll go thru a lot of lp.

let us know what you have and where you'll be and we may have better advice for you.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
How new? Do you have an arctic pac in your RV? The furnace generally heats the area around the fresh water pump, but the wet bay is often a weak spot, even with the arctic pac heaters on the waste elbows. You could put some 100 watt light bulbs in the wet compartments and some use a resistive heater tape wrapped on the water hose.

I have an arctic pac and I have run for days in sub 20 degree weather...always with the heat and arctic pac running. An extra propane tank might be a good thing to have as well and if it gets really cold, keep the RV thermostat set in the mid 70's and all the cabinet doors where there is water open.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

avoiding winterizing

27 ft. Itasca, 2013, Will be living in it if possible. Near a CO ski area, will get down below freezing for sure, maybe 28 degrees in December. I could skirt it.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsabia View Post
27 ft. Itasca, 2013, Will be living in it if possible. Near a CO ski area, will get down below freezing for sure, maybe 28 degrees in December. I could skirt it.
Bahh...28 degrees isn't winter. Try making ice at 28 degrees. You should be fine. Keep it heated. Skirting only makes a difference with a lot of wind.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the Forum:

How will you provide fresh water to the RV?

Will you be dumping the gray and black tanks occasionally..

Does the RV have basement heat that heats areas that have plumbing, and your gray/black tanks and dump valves?

How cold does it get?? What is the lowest temperature you anticipate?

How will you refill the propane tanks?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #8

avoid winterizing?

I will be emptying grey and black water tanks with a macerator into a clean out on site. I can buy one of those heated hoses. Haven't figured out the propane issue yet. Hoping the temps will stay above 20 at night. I have basement heat but not sure about waste tanks etc. Will have to check that out.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Waste tanks are in the basement...only concern is the waste elbows in the wet bay, if you have one. I often use a remote thermometer (like $19) in the wetbay and you can turn on a light if you need a little heat to bring the temp up.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #10

There are wall adaptors that turn stuff on and off at certain temps.....put a small heater in ....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #11

Is it possible to avoid the problem altogether and rent a small cabin and stay in and winterize the RV?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #12

Thousands of discussions on winterizing..

You can have a much larger LP tank installed such as a 100# (or 2) and the "stay awhile" type connector then have deliveries made.
As was said, you can add from a 100 watt to a heating bulb and a inline thermostat to keep the wet bays warm enough.
You can get a heated fresh water hose, or just use the fresh water tank and drain your hose.
You can also keep the macerator protected and walk out the line after dumping.
You may have to make a few short term adaptations for really cold snaps.

After having ours out in zero degree weather and 130+ hours straight below freezing, I am much more relaxed about a little cold weather.
I freaked out the first winter when it got below 30, now it's all good.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #13

avoiding winterizing

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice
Old 07-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
You do not need heated hoses...you dump when it’s above freezing and take on water at the same time and then use your 12V water pump. If you drain the hoses you do not need to store them in a heated area.

If in doubt about enough heat in the basement water area you can burn a 100W bulb when it gets below 28.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter