Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Looking to replease our awning and my wife would like to replace it with automatic and to have it sensor if wind kiks up to rool back up.
She can not put the one we have now down by herself.
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #2

Looking to replease our awning and my wife would like to replace it with automatic and to have it sensor if wind kiks up to rool back up.
Jim

Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Electric awnings are nice but more expensive. Check with a dealer or business that installs awnings. Ours is not adjustable, so we can't lower the end as the sun starts to set to keep in the shade. More expensive models can, I wish we could. Also ours is more difficult to clean than the manual awning we had on our previous rv. It can still be cleaned but is more difficult to do so. since I can't "lower" it to get it down to a more ergonomic height for cleaning. Just some things to consider before you dive in!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #4

We love our automatic awning. It has rolled it self up and saved us a couple of times.

THE DOWNSIDE: I can't hang awning lights if a storm may come.....
Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #5

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JIM Q:
Jim[/Quote

We have an A&E power awning and like it very much....The sensor works well when the wind comes up,and it is so easy to roll out or retract with the push button on wall or remote on key chain....
We sure wouldn't like to go back to a standard awning as we had in previous motorhomes....

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Jim,
What Easyrider said is true for me too. If you read the threads, you know the auto retract and auto water dump features are not to be trusted. There are +/- to both manual and powered awnings. If you are at the point in life where the power feature is a must then go for it. I think there are three major brands. Carefree, A&E and Girard are the three that come to mind.

Consider going to a sales store and have the features explained and if possible demonstrated to you. Then, try the demo awning yourself. Are the controls user friendly to the wife and you. If they are and you are aware of the previously mentioned items make the purchase and you'll be happy.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no comparison to the electric awning and the manual one. My wife could not handle the old manual one-- either up or down. The new one we now have is the greatest improvement I could imagine. We love it. I do not have a wind sensor. I did have a strange occurance last summer when getting ready to leave Maine after 5 months in the "woods". It wouldn't come up. The fuse had blown because the retract/extend motor was full of water. I opened the end up of the motor, drained the housing, and "silikroiled" (a product similiar to WD-40, only better) the electric motor. Then I sealed the groumet where the wires go into the housing with silicone. No more problems. The rig next to me, a fifth wheel, with the same 20' Dometic awning had the same exact problem I had-- we are "workampers" and he was in Maine for 5 months also. Oh well, we figured it out and fixed both awnings at the same time. All is well now. The other thing I like also is "no arms or vertical poles" to walk into at night. It is mounted different and it will spill water automatically. Good luck ----
Max H
2002' 37' Newmar Mountain Aire (gasser)
Old 08-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #8

thanks for the reply
I Think I will have them put on and again thanks
JIM
Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #9

Have one on the new coach only because it came that way AND I didn't know better. It's nowhere near as robust as a manual awning. If and when the time ever comes to replace it I'll probably put on a manual. But if automatic, it will be anything but A&E WeatherPro.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
I have the A&E Two Step awning on the newly acquired rig...not automatic but the same mechanism that the WeatherPro uses.

It is very east to extend and retract, but the jury's still out on it's capabilities in rain and wind.

Looking at it, the left/rear side is where the water is supposed to runoff, and I tested the spring tension on it by just pulling it down on that side, drops down easily 4" so that should work.

My biggest issue is how high the darn thing hangs...especially high to clear the kitchen slide.

We always kept our manual awning pretty low, for privacy and better stability...may use the 15' Patty-O-Shade in the awning track to get us better privacy and tie it down there for more stability...but I will need a ladder to put it on and take it off.

Best wishes on your decision, my wife never wanted to learn how to operate a manual awning either, but was thinking last night while putting this one up that she can handle it.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a Colorado Carefree automatic awning and its wonderful. We do not have the wind sensor and I wouldnt want one cause we like to hang our lights on the awning. It has an adjustment so you can dip one side for rain but I have never needed it, I can roll it in just a bit and tighten it up so that rain doesnt puddle.

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote