Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #29

It has nothing to so with the brand. It's the wind. Trying to open one is completely different than wind getting inside the rolled up awning. Nobody seems to believe that....until it happens to them.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #30

Until it happened to me, I always thought the issue was operator error. Now I know differently. My experience was with a Carefree, and due to a locking design that uses a ratchet type lock. With just the lightest of wear, that design doesn't stand a chance against a stiff side wind hitting the side of the coach the awning is on while going down the road.

The locking pin mod works, but the downside is the height of the awning roller tube that needs the pin inserted, then removed for use?

Carefree offers a crank operated worm gear drive (similar to the one old store fronts used to use to raise and lower their canvass awnings). It's not real expensive, and not only does it eliminate the need for torsion springs (and their related hassles) and a pull strap, it makes it virtually impossible for the wind to unroll it. End of issue...

Google "Carefree Pioneer Upgrade Kit"

Old 08-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
This has been beat to death on this forum, but you are correct, securing the arms with velcro or wire ties will not fix the issue. Wind gets inside the awning material, causes it to billow, then will strip the ratchet mechanism. I've had it happen twice. This is why you have to secure the awning roller with a pin so that it cannot turn. Those who have successfully secured their awnings with velcro or ties just haven't been lucky yet

So how do you do this on a carefree with enclosed motors ?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #32

Just a guess, because I haven't messed with one to know for sure, but thinking the drag of the motor and it's drive system pretty much assure owners of elec. awnings "unfurling" will not be an issue?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #33

On my coach's Zipdee manual awning there is a travel latch attached to the metal cover for the awning and a bracket screwed to the coach for latching. I use my awning rod to open and close the latch. It is not sensitive to the angular position of the roller tube.

I believe Zipdee would sell the latch kit as they show it in their parts list. You could call them and see if it would work on an electric awning with a metal cover.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billb1375 View Post
I've seen lots of solutions for awnings, but what about an A&E Topper on an Itasca slide out? Just got back from Canada where the perfect wind storm unrolled the topper then it rolled itself back with a boom...After figuring out what was happening, we stopped at an RV Store and was told by the tech "Welcome to Canada" Does anyone have an easy fix?
I have Carefree awnings, window awnings, and toppers. The main awning and slide topper has a plastic block screwed to the coach wall, on the topper tube/roller there is an adjustable peg. When the slide is retracted, the topper winds up on the tube/roller; then just before the slide contacts the coach wall the peg passes the plastic block. The slide stops and the peg is below the plastic block. If wind or anything else attempts to unroll the topper fabric, the peg prevents the tube/roller from turning because it is against the plastic block. The only way for the fabric to unroll then is to tear away from the coach awning rail.
I see no reason this could not be adapted to any brand topper, or homemade.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the 1 i use if u have the side arms. nice & neat & easy to hook up
A&E Awning Lock
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Carefree slide topper billowed out in the Nevada wind and tore off the rear support bracket. Cost over $800 to replace everything. I have read of similar issues with others who have a Carefree topper. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening that does not require getting on a ladder every time you go?
Butte64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #37

Final note on my awning story. Dometic is covering the awning replacement under their recall of that model awning - apparently someone missed my coach before it was sold.
Have to say Dometic has been very responsive and pleasant to work with. Now we shall see how well LaMesa RV (from whom I bought the coach) performs on the actual replacement.
It's been almost 2 months since our three month cross country summer adventure through the northern states, ready for some winter touring of our southern states!

Thanks to all for the advice and input - happy trails and safe travels.

P.S., the new awning WILL have a locking device!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #38

Thanks for reporting back on this.

2013 Thor Motorcoach Challenger 37DT with 2011 Jeep Wrangler tied to the rear.
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #39

Don't mess with these Rube Goldberg contraptions, this is so much easier:

Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
This is the 1 i use if u have the side arms. nice & neat & easy to hook up
A&E Awning Lock

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning