Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #1

I have a 2002 Winnebago and the main awning has begun to leak a little where it is sewn together up near the top. I have a tube of "Goop" as it seems it might fix the leak if put along the seam. Any one have anything better? Thought I'd ask before I used the "Goop." Thanks.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #2

I have a 2002 Winnebago and the main awning has begun to leak a little where it is sewn together up near the top. I have a tube of "Goop" as it seems it might fix the leak if put along the seam. Any one have anything better? Thought I'd ask before I used the "Goop." Thanks.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There is a seam sealer made for awnings and tent that I have used in the past and it did work for awhile but now again leaks a little. The "goop" may be the trick, IF it dries enough so it does not stick to other parts of awning when rolling up. Let us know if you find something that works great. Thank you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:24 AM   #4

I used sneaker Goop on a rip on mine and it held up pretty good.The gutter seam is another problem area.Mine is right above the door and leaks like a sieve.The goop doesent last long on that seam.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the same problem on occaision, It leaks right at the seam where the metl cover is attached. I spoke to A&E about it and there position was the awning is for the sun and is not designed to be waterproof only water resistant. I was always concerned that whatever I used would react with the fabric and cause it to stick together when rolled up. I would be interested on how you made out. Please let us know..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
When I purchased my old Vectra it had a couple pin holes in the woven acrylic awning. I went to WalMart and bought liquid stitch. Found it in the sewing/fabric section. Liquid stich is clear and water proof. Worked great for sealing the small holes. A year later we were hit by a microburst in FL. Lots of awnings were damaged including mine. I had a tear about 6 inches long on one end of the awning fabric near the roof. I sewed the tear and then went over the tear with the liquid stitch. Repair was permanent.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Although A&E claims their awnings are for sun only and wont guarantee that they will be waterproof, they do have a service bulletin out on how to solve the leak problem. My dealer got one last year when myself and another member here complained about it. If I remember right, A&E told me they had the bulletin and they faxed it to the dealer.
Basically what you have to do is loosen the metal shield on the lower section where it meets the fabric, slide the metal guard over half way, reseal the seam that is up under the metal guard, slide the metal guard the other way and seal that side.
The instructions that come from A&E are pretty simple, get it from them and you will be good to go. Haven't leaked since they did that. Prvious attempts by the dealer to seal other seams did not do the trick.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #8

If you check a boating store, Boaters World, West Marine, etc. there are waterproof fabric protectants available, which are used on bimini tops for exacly that purpose. Not very expensive and easy to use. Open awning, spray on, let it dry and all done. Works on boats in ocean environment, don't see why it shouldn't do the same for MH.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #9

Back in my tent camping days we used to seal a leaky seam by rubbing it with a block of beeswax that we got from a leather craft store. Maybe they've found something better in the last forty years.
Good Luck

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The leak is coming from under the metal guard. That is why it has to be removed so the seam can be caulked.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #11

This is woof again. I bought a tube of "liquid stitch" from Wal-Mart and used it. I went under the canvas rather than on top. Ran a bead of liquid stitch along the seam. It comes out white but dries clear. I let it dry over night then because it looked all right, I shot a garden hose on the awning and it didn't leak. So I didn't try Goop, but will if this doesnt hold up. Rolled it up and out again and no sticking.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Great!

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote