Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Awning locks

I know this topic has been beat to death but I need to beat it one more time. I have a newer Dometic AE power patio awning with the aluminum section that rolls up with the last several inches of awning. When the awning is retracted I could not manually turn the tube to unfurl the awning to save my life. Seems the motor provides a natural locking? We make trips out west along I-40 and I-80 frequently and high winds are common. Wonder if what I am seeing is enough to hold up.
Wondering what the opinion of others is. I won't put the pin type lock on this unit (awninglock.com). There is no doubt in my mind that I will open the awning with the pin engaged sooner or later. The awning switch is right there in the stair well and I have gotten very used to simply pressing the switch. The locking pin seems like hit and miss to me anyway. That hole may line up the first time you install it but common sense says it will be off after coming out and back in..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the pinlock on mine and it hits the hole every time. Works just as advertised.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

I think the jury is still out on the motorized awnings unfurling. At least, I've not HEARD of that happening. Maybe the design is different enough that the motor puts enough drag on the tube that it can't open in the wind or be overpowered. If I had the electric, I'd still buy the awning lock and probably replace the switch by the door with a keyed switch. That way, there's a thought process involved before deploying the awning.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Awning locks

I have received but not yet had the opportunity to install the RV Awning Travel Lock on my A&E WeatherPro Electric Awning. Despite no problems so far, I decided better to secure the roller to minimize the potential risk of losing the awning with possible collateral damage, in high wind situations on the road.
Our physical awning rocker switch is located in a basement compartment adjacent to the entrance door but the awning is normally operated by remote control. I plan to place a warning label adjacent to the rarely used switch and a similar "obtrusive" caution tag on the remote to remind me to retract the pin before extending the awning!
I do hope this works to avoid any self-inflicted damage!!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

We have a 19" power awning on our travel trailer, and once it's retracted it doesn't move. We live in Albuquerque and have traveled 1-40 and I-25 with our TT with no problems to the awning.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #6

You could add a second switch near first and wire in series so both must be switched...dead mans switch...that way bumping one nothing happens.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Didn't want to start a thread on the merits of awning lock pins. But I guess since I brought it up, I asked for it. Never say never, but I can't see putting one on and then developing and deploying failsafe methods to protect myself against me.
I'm more interested in hearing from those that can testify as to the reliability of the electric motor in preventing bellowing. Like I said, I muscled the roller as hard as I could and couldn't budge it.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I muscled the roller as hard as I could and couldn't budge it.
Did you muscled it for several hours using different amounts of force? I dont have an electric awning, but after driving behind a large very nice looking RV and watching the awning get ripped off, I went home, ordered and installed an awn lock. The wind is stronger then it looks.

Here a thread with an electric awning.

Awning Failure while Driving
Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Did you muscled it for several hours using different amounts of force? I dont have an electric awning, but after driving behind a large very nice looking RV and watching the awning get ripped off, I went home, ordered and installed an awn lock. The wind is stronger then it looks.

I'm sure that sudden and repeated bursts of high wind isn't duplicated by my lame ass experiment.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Put the lock on and when you actuate your awning just monitor it to verify you have released the lock . When I first learned of the add on lock I ordered it immediately and would recommend it to anyone that has an awning without a doubt.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Didn't want to start a thread on the merits of awning lock pins. But I guess since I brought it up, I asked for it. Never say never, but I can't see putting one on and then developing and deploying failsafe methods to protect myself against me.
I'm more interested in hearing from those that can testify as to the reliability of the electric motor in preventing bellowing. Like I said, I muscled the roller as hard as I could and couldn't budge it.
From personal experience, if the electric motor/gearing fails (Dometic had a recall on some of their electric awnings) the awning will billow. Had this happen on a highway in Kansas this summer. Fortunately there was no other traffic at the moment it failed, caught the wind and tore off. Still working with Dometic on the solution but so far they have been fairly responsive. My next awning will have will have some feature (TBD) to prevent recurrance.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I talked to an awning lock sal es guy several years ago about a lock for my Carefree power awning. He turned down the opportunity to sell me one ...told me I didn't need one with my awning. Eleven years and 92k miles later and I have never had a problem with the power awning. But the little manual window awnings? ...that's a completely different story!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #13

If you use the lock pin add a step...use something like a clothes pin or magnet to place at the switch to indicate lock pin in place.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Awning locks

Thanks to the OP for this interesting thread!
This and other forums suggest that at least some of us have experienced electric awning billowing with or without collateral damage on the road. My thinking is that it makes good sense to use a device to reduce the risk of the patio awning unfurling. I too don't want to inadvertently deploy my electric awning with such a device engaged, whether it be an awning lock or roller strap, etc.
We routinely accept having reminders/warnings to retract our levelling jacks, TV antenna and satellite dish; to apply the parking brakes; to secure our seatbelt; etc. So why not a warning/caution to remind us to deactivate an awning lock, strap or similar device before deployment? Just thinkin' out loud...
Of course, each person must decide what's best for them within their own comfort zone.

Tags
awning