Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Awning Lost Its Tension

Over the summer, our Carefree awning lost its tension. Not just partially, but totally. I m wondering what would cause this. I m thinking of using the following video to restore the tension.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did tension adjustment work?

Thanks for any feedback,eh?

Brad

http://https://www.instructables.com...on-Adjustment/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

I thought I could mine......long story short, I ended up getting a nasty cut on a finger and I'm very lucky that I escaped without any permanent damage. I urge you to leave that repair to someone else. I knew what I was getting into, but it only takes one little slip and it's off to the emergency room. The local repair shop (Moore's RV, North Ridgeville) finished the repair and the gentleman in the service department told me that they have had technicians get injured making awning tension repairs. It's not worth risking a nasty injury with possible permanent damage.

Just my suggestion and 2 cents worth!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #3

Sounds like your torsion spring broke. If it broke on the very end, then you can toss the broken piece and re-do the end of the spring, hook back up and you're good. If the spring broke in the middle, you'll need a new spring.

Some of the work is with the spring under tension and the is absolutely no room for error. One slip and you're injured, so know your ability before you start.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This summer a gust of wind caught the awning and it ended up breaking the spring. Bought a new one and installed, not a big deal. I did have a tractor with front bucket that made the repair easier.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Brad! That sounds like a broken spring. Call Chris at Stone Vos and he can supply a replacement spring.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you lost total tension, most likely broken a spring; Carefree use ONE spring (RH) for 8-ft and shorter and 2-springs for over 8-ft. I just changed mine to manual wind, but found my left spring (11-ft) was not wound (suspect the fault of last roof installers under PO 2-3 yrs ago, as both springs looked like new) My issues had been would only rewind 1/2-way.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know what the Carefree is like but we replaced the awning fabric on our A&E electric awning this past summer and it had 1 spring on the left end of the awning tube and an electric motor on the right end of the tube. I bought a "Vise Grip" pipe wrench and used that to wind up the spring (you actually had to wind up the awning tube end bracket) to add the tension on the spring. It wasn't too hard to do and the wrench made it a whole lot easier. I don't think I would have been able to do it without the wrench.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #8

Before spending money or undertaking the task of replacing springs; spray some light oil into the spring area. My carefree of Colorado awnings would not retract, sprayed oil through a hole in the end caps, then retracted/extended the awnings a few time (had to move them by hand at first) until they worked as designed. They need re-lubed again, as they are stalling a bit.
If that doesn't work, then you may begin spending money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

I recently had the same problem, if on door or window, mine was a small plastic retainer disc inside the tube . Had to buy replacement spring unit v, easy to install
aden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning