Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

Awning problem

I went to the storage facility to discover that one of the window awnings was in the down position.
It is an old Zip Dee probably from 1987 (as is the RV).
It lost its tension somehow.
I have also noticed that the upper portion, which is riveted to the RV wall, was pulling away at one of the ends.

I have two questions. Would it be better to replace the rivets with stainless steel screws?
How do I get the tension back into that roller?

Actually should I even try or just call a "pro"??
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

Hi Oldbeaver; Not too many older Beaver Coaches around anymore. First, I do not have knowledge with the Zip Dee awnings. If you put a search in up at the top of the page, you might be able to get some info on that awning. I have Carefree Of Colorado on my 01 Windsor. Considering the age, I am going to guess that the spring inside the roller tube has rusted and broke. I just put new pull straps on my window awnings and can't believe how rusted the springs are. If I put new springs in some day, I am going to pack them in grease so they don't rust. As to where the awning has pulled away from the coach, I don't know any reason why you could not use SS screws. The length would be the only issue in my opinion. It might be time for an upgrade depending on your decision on what to do with the Zip Dee awning. Hope some of this info helps. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
From what you describe the awning must have deployed while in storage. If so the first indication is a broken spring or the spring retainer has failed. If you want to tackle it you need to remove one or both end caps to see what has happened. On the mounting problem screws will work but you may have to drill the attachment bracket out to a larger size so you can get a screw sized to hold where the rivet failed.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Try going to the ZipDee website. I believe they have instructions on how to retension your awning.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning