Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Awning pull strap problem

Ask this question on another site and no answers; so here we go here.
A few months ago I tripped while stowing our A&E awning and lost the pull strap when it snapped back against the rig. No visable damage to the awning - but no visable pull strap also. How can you fish that strap out so you can open the awning again? Tried 2 strong people lifting the arms - not strong enough to do that. Really do not want to dismantle the awning. Hope someone else had had this problem and found a reasonable fix.
JIMNJAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done it by simply pulling the two arms down at the same time.

Each person was standing on a small 3 step step stool/ladder so they could reach as close to the top roller as possible. It was not hard to pull them out and down.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ihad the the same thing happen to me last year. There happened to be an awning repairman/installer working at the space next door. We did just what you described. After tripping the lever on the roller, we lifted and pulled out the awning. It was not easy, and took us a couple tries, but it is doable. Of course he was an expert and said he had done it many times and was able to tell me exactly where to grip and when to lift and pull. Give it a couple tries it should work.
Glenn
Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #4

unlock the awning latch, pull the ends of the awning roll away from the mh, the awning will unroll just as it does when you pull the strap, the strap will become visible so you can hook it. 2 ladders and 2 people will make the job easy.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #5

I had it happen last summer. I was by myself, so I got on a ladder after releasing the lock and unrolled the awning by hand, hand over hand . Very difficult, but that strap is not up in there as far as you might think. Don't worry about it all of the suggestions given will work.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After you get the strap out, take a short length of nylon rope and tie a loop through your pull strap, this, in effect will lenghten your pull strap so if this happens again the nylon loop will probably still be outside of the awning cover. Use your pull rod on this loop to pull out the awning. By the way my A&E main awning has this on it as when it closes up the black pull strap is always "lost" but the nylon loop is visable.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

I lost my strap when the awning bellowed out from the wind. I looped a line around the shaft at each end and with help pulled the awning out till the strap sppeared.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
To all of you who have replied - many thanks. Finally got back on forum and found your answers. Guess I will have to find a stronger helper. Will follow your suggestions and get this thing back the way it is suppose to be.
JIMNJAN is offline   Reply With Quote