Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #1

Awning Tear Repair

My slide out topper has a tear in it. This tear is right along the metal of the spool. Anyone know if Awning Tape will adhere to the metal as well as the awning?

Many Thanks!

Al_Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #2

The stuff I used would, but I don't remember the brand. Got it at Camping world. Actually, the only reason I used it was that I couldn't find any white duct tape. The duct tape I used at first lasted about 6 months and was easy to replace. The awning tape only went 9-10 months.

Whatever you use, clean the surfaces well with alcohol or lacquer thinner and allow to dry well. Put tape on both sides.

John

Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #3

We recently replaced ours due to hail damage and I now realize how easy it would be to repair. Can you remove it and find someone with a sewing machine or a tarp repair outfit? All it needs is to move the binding rope about an inch into good fabric. It would be cheaper than new fabric and almost as easy as trying to clean it up enough for duct tape.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you Gents! ... I did see the tape on Camping World and intend to give that a whirl. I have also been advised that duct tape does dry out with the heat and parts of the tape becomes powdery and loses its adhesive surface.

Since the tear is at the line betwen the spool and the material, I think that sewing would not do the trick in this case. I am sure that it will need a full replacement - perhaps next yar.
Al_Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Idaho View Post
Thanks to both of you Gents! ... I did see the tape on Camping World and intend to give that a whirl. I have also been advised that duct tape does dry out with the heat and parts of the tape becomes powdery and loses its adhesive surface.

Since the tear is at the line betwen the spool and the material, I think that sewing would not do the trick in this case. I am sure that it will need a full replacement - perhaps next yar.
i had a tear about 1/2'' near where the slide awning hooks up to the moho and repaired it with a hot glue gun about 2 years ago. it is still ok.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #6

There is a clear tape called "sail tape" that will work quite well...shoudl be able to get it at Home Depot (and other box stores), Camping World and other RV & Marine centers.

It can be put on when the awning is wet although it will be better when dry and doesn't dry out like duct tape.

We used it on a torn awning edge for years until the rig was replaced...never did replace that awning.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The military grade "100 mile an hour" tapes work well too. AKA Riggers tape. Available in colors, though I haven't seen white.
Here are some sources:
Amazon.com: Military 100 Mile An Hour Tape: Clothing
100-Mile-an-Hour Tape (2")
100 Mile Per Hour Tape

I always carry a roll for emergencies cause it sticks like crazy and won't decompose in sun or rain. Used it when our awning tore loose in high winds. for example. Allowed us to continue driving until I could get it repaired.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Here is a link to some Aircraft Tape that should do the job.
3M POLYURETHANE PROTECTIVE TAPE 8672 from Aircraft Spruce

Dick
Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Aircraft tape, riggers tape or sail tape are all effective, the important thing is to clean the awning surface real good with a no residue cleaner. If the tear starts at the edge of the awning use a piece of tape long enough to wrap around the edge and cover the tear top and bottom. If you have a hole in the awning that is near as wide or wider than the tape run one piece down the middle of the hole above and below, then half lap additional strips out from each side unit the hole is covered.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I never leave on a trip without ETERNABOND. I repaired my previous trailer awning with it and it lasted for long time. I also do a lot things aroung the house with it

ETERNABOND ROOFSEAL WHITE 4" X 50' ROLL

Tom

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote