Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Axle end scale within 100 miles of Louisville or Lexington ?

I took the rig to the Love's in Waddy KY but they can not do axle ends, I was a couple of hundred over without the wife and most of our gear, so I'd like to see how I'm doing on each axle end.

Jim Apple
japple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
I've never heard that the end weights matter or can be altered enough to make any diff. That's probably why they don't have scales like that. If your over weight then your probably going to bend an axle, don't see how you can prevent it.

go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by go4dsnow View Post
I've never heard that the end weights matter or can be altered enough to make any diff. That's probably why they don't have scales like that. If your over weight then your probably going to bend an axle, don't see how you can prevent it.
Let's do a quick example using a typical rear axle, with dual wheels. The GAWR of the axle is 14,500 lbs. The tires will be selected so that their weight rating will support that axle rating, and not much more. That means that each end of the axle can support 7,250 lbs.

Now suppose the coach is loaded so that the rear axle is at it's limit, and the tires' limit equals the axle limit. If you weigh the axle as a unit it will show 14,500 lbs and you think you are good. But if you weigh each end separately you might find that one end weighs 6,250 lbs and the other side weighs 8,250 lbs. The axle (and tires) are still at their limit, but the heavy side is 1,000 lbs over the limit.

Now, you'll say that it's impossible to have such a difference between sides - it's not that hard to see several hundred pounds difference. Think of where your refrigerator is, where your generator is, propane tank, batteries, holding tanks, hot water tank, bedroom closets, outside storage bins, etc. It's actually almost impossible to find a coach that has an equal 50/50 weight distribution side-to-side on the axles.
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Look close at the scale platform, they're set on a level surface, usually with enough of a side apron that you can set your right side OFF the scale and get the weight of just the left side, then re-weight the whole rig, then subtract the first weigh from the 2nd weigh to get the right side weights.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Thanks I will drive over tonight and take a look. It the big Cat sign over it and I thought that was preventing me from getting off the side, but maybe not.
Jim Apple
japple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Hi Japple
Do you know a Motor Vehicles Officer? They usually carry a set of portable scales in the trunk. Problem is, unless you know him really really really well, if he sees an overweight condition .................

Being in road construction my entire career, I would work closely with the DMV guys/gals in coordinating truck weight checks for trucks going to and from our job sites. I wanted the checks done safely and with minimum disruption to the project, so it was in our best interest to work with them.

Once saw a coal truck weighed in Eastern Kentucky on US-23. The total weight was just a tad over 200,000 pounds!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Ok, back to the subject at hand. I have in the past, used Southern States scales to weigh the coach axles, and once I pulled into a closed weigh station to eat lunch and when we drove over the scales I saw the numbers showing up on the screen. I was able to go around the scales and try it again getting the front and rear axle weighed.

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote