Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #29
GKU

Thank You all for the information and help, I am starting to feel a little better. Starting our Trip this coming Monday and I have learned one thing from you all about mountain driving and that is "Take you time and keep it slow" . That's what I intend to do.

Again thanks for all your kelp
George

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Just in case you do over heat your service breaks, when you get stoped, dont take your foot off of the breaks, keep those pads pressed tight to the break rotors, or drums, letting oxygen inbetween the pads and the rotors can cause a break fire

Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post
Just in case you do over heat your service breaks, when you get stoped, dont take your foot off of the breaks, keep those pads pressed tight to the break rotors, or drums, letting oxygen inbetween the pads and the rotors can cause a break fire

Never heard of that - any examples you can site where it happened? Oxygen is already in between the brake pads/drum. In the 50+ years of mountain driving I've done, I've never seen anyone with their brakes on fire because they took their foot off the pedal. How would you know they were over heated, unless they suddenly burst into flames? How long do you keep the pedal pressed down? What would burst into flames? The drums/pads are metal/composites and don't burn.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
Thank You all for the information and help, I am starting to feel a little better. Starting our Trip this coming Monday and I have learned one thing from you all about mountain driving and that is "Take you time and keep it slow" . That's what I intend to do.

Again thanks for all your kelp
George
You have the right approach, George - that will get you up and down any mountain pass you may encounter. Have a fun trip!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Patience, planning, anticipating, gearing, RPM's finding that sweet spot where your rig feels best up and down hill. After a few "practice hills" you will be an expert in your MH.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #34
GKU

Thanks again for all the info.

George
Old 06-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #35

I've read this entire thread and understand the information on how to go up and down these mountain roads. Since I'm from Florida, I have no experience in mountain driving. Can anyone tell me what roads in New Mexico I need to stay off, since I'm a beginner. I guess I need the "beginner" roads - I have a 5th wheel, about 10,000 lbs and a Chevy 2500 HD with a 6 liter. Suggestions?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post

Another old wives tale....

Rich & Linda
Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

Rich & Linda
the info came from an old trucker, they do way more driving then most of ever will do in our lifetime, it sounded like a good theory to me
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
AZ Mountain Driving---How!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

Rich & Linda

Sorry Rich, brake fires are most certainly not an old wives tale. In 1998 a good friend of mine was driving a field trip school bus from Flagstaff back to Tucson on I-17. Because of inexperience driving that far north she rode her brakes down those 6% grades leading to a fire.

She tried using the on board fire extinguisher but failed at putting it out. The first police officer arriving got it out. It cost the team a serious delay while a school bus from a Phoenix area school district went up to get them off the side of the road, and then brought them to meet a bus from our district dispatched from Tucson.

Who ever told you brake fires don't happen misinformed you. They most certainly do, especially in six wheeled heavy vehicles like buses and RV's. They may be rare, but that's far different than impossible.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Please read your owners manual for your motor. Each motor type and size have different RPM recommendations. The ISB Cummins, smallest for RV use is higher RPM motor than a large ISM very large motor. Too low of RPM can cause a over heat problem while climbing hills. Getting ahead of the climb, down shifting just as you start the climb to best cooling RPM will help on the warmer days in particular.

LEN
Old 06-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #40

On our 2007 Monaco Camelot it is not obvious when you are driving in standard or economy. A red light comes on but you still don't know which you are in. We read our manual and it gave us no answer. My husband is a truck driver so really dislikes not having all the gears and being able to just do the shifting himself.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaildwight View Post
On our 2007 Monaco Camelot it is not obvious when you are driving in standard or economy. A red light comes on but you still don't know which you are in. We read our manual and it gave us no answer. My husband is a truck driver so really dislikes not having all the gears and being able to just do the shifting himself.
On my coach, the red light on the Allison shifter panel indicates I am in "economy" mode. When we were fulltimers, I experimented for quite some time with economy mode and eventually decided it did nothing beyond causing upshifts/downshifts at different rpm, both resulting in lugging the engine down unnecessarily. I found absolutely NO fuel economy advantage. Mine requires economymode to be deliberately selected, so I now ignore the economy mode option.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
Sorry Rich, brake fires are most certainly not an old wives tale. In 1998 a good friend of mine was driving a field trip school bus from Flagstaff back to Tucson on I-17. Because of inexperience driving that far north she rode her brakes down those 6% grades leading to a fire.

She tried using the on board fire extinguisher but failed at putting it out. The first police officer arriving got it out. It cost the team a serious delay while a school bus from a Phoenix area school district went up to get them off the side of the road, and then brought them to meet a bus from our district dispatched from Tucson.

Who ever told you brake fires don't happen misinformed you. They most certainly do, especially in six wheeled heavy vehicles like buses and RV's. They may be rare, but that's far different than impossible.
that can't be right the know-it-all's on this forum know everything

2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote