Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Betty and I just arrived home from our first trip in the motorhome. We put 3,700 miles on her, and she performed wonderfully.
I am continually amazed at the beauty of this country and all there is to see. We haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg, but after a brief week rest, it will be back on the road again, this time to the Grand Canyon.
We learned a very valuable lesson when it comes to campgrounds, and that is stay away from the KOA CG's. We found them to be old, dirty and very overpriced, with small spaces. On the other hand, we found many private CG's to be keeping up with the modern travelers and the equipment. I am certain that KOA had its day long ago when the RV's were smaller, but in todays market, a 15X30 space just don't cut it.

While coming through Cave City, we stopped at a newly opened RV park, ( Cave Country RV Park), and it was great. Large spacious areas, extremely friendly staff, and CLEAN facilities. We were fortunate to find two more nice new parks on the way home. The first was in Oklahoma City, where we stayed at the Twin Fountains Park, and in Amarillo we stayed at the Oasis RV park. You will not find nicer people, or facilities anywhere.

My next act will be to write a letter to KOA canceling my membership, and telling them that they need to get with modern times and clean up the parks, lower the rates, and increase the size of the spaces. All in all, it was a great trip, just learned that KOA is not for us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Betty and I just arrived home from our first trip in the motorhome. We put 3,700 miles on her, and she performed wonderfully.
I am continually amazed at the beauty of this country and all there is to see. We haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg, but after a brief week rest, it will be back on the road again, this time to the Grand Canyon.
We learned a very valuable lesson when it comes to campgrounds, and that is stay away from the KOA CG's. We found them to be old, dirty and very overpriced, with small spaces. On the other hand, we found many private CG's to be keeping up with the modern travelers and the equipment. I am certain that KOA had its day long ago when the RV's were smaller, but in todays market, a 15X30 space just don't cut it.

While coming through Cave City, we stopped at a newly opened RV park, ( Cave Country RV Park), and it was great. Large spacious areas, extremely friendly staff, and CLEAN facilities. We were fortunate to find two more nice new parks on the way home. The first was in Oklahoma City, where we stayed at the Twin Fountains Park, and in Amarillo we stayed at the Oasis RV park. You will not find nicer people, or facilities anywhere.

My next act will be to write a letter to KOA canceling my membership, and telling them that they need to get with modern times and clean up the parks, lower the rates, and increase the size of the spaces. All in all, it was a great trip, just learned that KOA is not for us.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #3

Do you have a Woodall's campground guide or a Trailer Life Campground guide? I don't leave home without them.

Our beautiful little dog Bear
jjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Gene,

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences at KOA. You must have hit a real clunker. We have stayed at some really nice KOA's in many different states. However, I do know that the personal attention of the owner can make a huge difference. We have made specific stops at some campgrounds that Good Sams Trailer Life directory had rated as "10-10-10" their highest rating for a campground. We were disapointed to find uncut lawns, broken benches at the campsites, over flowing trash in all the waste cans, and an over all aloof attitude of the staff.

There just are no guarentees when camping. I would hesitate to bomb all KOA's, but sharing the info on the one you were disappointed in is extrememly valuable.

Good luck on your next outing.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #5

KOAs can be a problem. One thing that gets me is their $5 cancellation fee. They are run more like an impersonal big business than a small CG and they take full advantage of campers who need a place to stay. I have paid their fee because there was little else available but I resent their taking advantage. Still I will stay at KOA if they are located where I need to go. I won't bite off my nose to spite my face.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote