Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was fortunate enough in my younger days to be in a local volunteer FD and rescue squad. We were required to take an EVOC course (emergency vehicle operators course) and we had to do things with large fire trucks that make driving and parking the motorhome seem like pie.

I also get out and walk a site before backing in. I will survey all the obstacles fore, aft and to the sides and can usually tell right away if I can fit into a site.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">AM ones, I found them to have too much static and have a severely limited range
AM? FM? I have no idea. We don't have any static to speak of. True the range is somewhat limited, but plenty for us to get a 40' motorhome parked ...definitely can't walk a couple of sites away and talk.
Quote:
Press the button to talk and release it to listen....
...it seemed the concept of pressing the button BEFORE you start talking rather than sometime thereafter was just too difficult for my helper (unnamed!) to grasp... hand-mouth coordination issue?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------
Yes,hand-mouth coordination is one thing but factor in significant arthritis in DW'S hands and the press-to-talk button is a big challenge.Thanks to all,I have a better appreciation of other's problems and an understanding that mine are not unique.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #31

I think some people have spacial awareness and some don't. I can also usually look at a site and tell if I will fit or not and how to go about getting it done. I always use a spotter and listen to what they tell me. I usually don't do much talking while I am backing, just a lot of listening...
Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
A few times I have directed my wife while she backed in.

I know exactly where I want the coach situated and I can direct her left, right, forward, backward.

It's sort of like running the coach with a remote control while outside.

Try it.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #33

Tom, You might be ok with your wife parking and or driving but believe me when I tell you I wouldn't do that with my wife on a dare.
I love her to death but park an RV? No way! I tried to teach her simple hand instructions, but it was a complete failure. We sometimes watch other wives help their husbands park and to be honest with you some of them are very good and some belong inside, tied to the passenger seat until it's all over. It can be quite entertaining at times, and for some of them I wonder what they are doing on the road with this vehicle let alone trying to park it.
We decided a long time ago that she stays put inside and doesn't move until I'm parked. If I need help I will ask her. I think we will stay married a lot longer this way. This works for us. I have been married to my Tennessee Bumpkin for 37 years and wouldn't trade her for anything. I knew her for two weeks before getting married. It was love at first sight. (There is such a thing)
Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I no longer back up blind. My side cameras show me the location of gas pumps, picnic tables, stumps, water lines and posts. My nose cameras show me how close I am to a fence or post hidden from view, and my back-up camera not only tilts up & down, it pans left to right showing me all that is behind.
The cost of my digital color camera system was a lot less than the cost of an avoidable accident, ins deductible, frustration and loss time of the RV being in for repairs. For pic's of the camera on my Outlaw, visit: http://www.totalvisionproducts.com/products/RV.html and scroll down </span>
Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club

A lot of the Camp grounds were designed and in place before Slide outs. But they do need to adapt to the present times. The state park we visit in TN every year several years ago had started to cut down some trees. I asked the Ranger why and he said because the RVís are bigger and need more room to make the turns on the curves. They have trimmed the trees in the site areas to make room for slide outs. As far as backing in blind sided, I have plenty I could say. But there is a saying that I learned long ago that keeps me out of trouble. ďLord fills my mouth with worth while stuff. But stop me when Iíve said enoughĒ But I will add that I have a 9 year old Grandson. That for the last 2 Ĺ years has been able to take one of my Golf carts or Mowers (No Blade assembly attached) hook up a dump style trailer and back it in where ever I want it. I know that ainít no big rig but look out when he gets older. My better half doses not need to be inside tied to the passengerís seat. She is excellent at outside watching for unseen problems staying in site of the camera or mirrors to alert me to a problem. Bob O said everything I could say about mine. I wouldnít trade her for anything. Iím still amazed when she talks about growing up on the farm and she had to go out side and pump water and bring it into the house. Itís not like we are years apart in age early to mid 60ís. She was raise country and I was raise city. Bob O will appreciate this. Weíve been together 24 years and I can vaguely remember, White Water Rafting in the Gatlinburg, Sevierville, Court House and a Chapel across the street. I donít know if she had it planned that way or not. But Iíve never been sorry.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #36

The worse thing about backing in on the blind side-----is the help you get from the campers on the next site.
like-----thats right---turn left
go forward-----then back up.
and on and on and on.
I usually stop the motorhome get out and take a realy loooooog time looking at the site.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
robert h and I are alike. I also take a very good look at the spot before I start to back in. Then it's in on the first try. The same for getting out. I walk what I am going to do. One this is done there has never been a problem in or out.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #38

Another thing I do is tell my wife to show me where you want the door; and just stand there, I'll do the rest.
The only time Ive ever had a problem is when I was backing up and there was a tree in the back of the site. I told my wife to wave her arms when I approched the tree, I could see her in my mirrow, I backed up real slow; bang I hit the tree,---- then my wife waved her arms, I got out and explaned to my wife---- as calm as I could,----I meant before I hit the tree.
So much for directions---I now get out and have a realy good look before backing up.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #39
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by robert h:
Another thing I do is tell my wife to show me where you want the door; and just stand there, I'll do the rest.
The only time Ive ever had a problem is when I was backing up and there was a tree in the back of the site. I told my wife to wave her arms when I approched the tree, I could see her in my mirrow, I backed up real slow; bang I hit the tree,---- then my wife waved her arms, I got out and explaned to my wife---- as calm as I could,----I meant before I hit the tree.
So much for directions---I now get out and have a realy good look before backing up.
Robert, not to make light of the situation but now that it is over; "that is funny, I don't care who you are"!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Robert, not to make light of the situation but now that it is over; "that is funny, I don't care who you are"!
looking back on it---I still get a chuckle every time I think about it.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by robert h:
The only time Ive ever had a problem is when I was backing up and there was a tree in the back of the site. I told my wife to wave her arms when I approached the tree, I could see her in my mirror, I backed up real slow; bang I hit the tree,---- then my wife waved her arms, I got out and explained to my wife---- as calm as I could,----I meant before I hit the tree.
So much for directions---I now get out and have a really good look before backing up.
Robert, take no offense , but I have to ask ...What shade of blond is your wife???
Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Robert, take no offense , but I have to ask ...What shade of blond is your
No offense taken----it depends what comes out of the bottle this month; sometimes its red. sometimes its a brunet, every once in a while shes a blond, it realy doesn;t matter what the hair color, we have been attached for nearly 60 years, sometimes shes as dumb as a stick, but thats life, can;t live with them can't live without them.