Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
I love mine. I use it all of the time. I also use it to hook up the trailer. Do not have to bother the wife or get out 15 times.

Monaco Dynasty
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Important question about back up monitor

I have a Panasonic monitor in the dash of my 2000 Pace Arrow and it weighs about seven hundred pounds and it is even heavier when it is turned on. ( I lied about the ''turn on thing'')
Here is my question. This black and white monitor is very heavy and I would love to replace it with one of the lighter flat pannel monitors I see advertised on e bay and other places. the camera still works fine but the monitor is so heavy it is cracking the ''wonderfully expensive and well engineered genuine immitation plastic'' that Pace Arrow seen fit to make the dash out of on my particular coach. The monotor still works fine but eventually it will fall thru the dash, floor and out on the road in the near future if I dont do something.
One. I need a ''flat pannel monitor'' that will hook up to my camera without a problem....
Two. I am willing to make a ''filler''' to go around the flat pannel monitor to make it ''fit the hole'' in my dash if necessary ... (redneck engineering at its best)
Three.. Any good solutions or advise concerning this problem will be rewarded by the customary ten cents paid in cash the next time I see you.
Four... Any good ideas that may or may not work concerning this problem will be rewarded with the customary five cents reward paid the next time I see you.
Five..... Dumb looks, wild guesses and drooling on your shoes will get you nothing..............
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets for their service to this great nation ......
ps. This is not a ''wireless system'' it came with the coach back in 2000.

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
I just replaced a 27" Sony in my 2006 Pursuit with a 31" flat panel. I used a swing out wall mount turned on its side and mounted to the top of the cabinet inside (had a solid 1" plywood top). I installed a Blue Ray player below the TV. I also put in a flat wire shelf (cut from one I got at Lowes) that lines up with the bottom of the wide screen monitor (and above the Blue ray player). I plan to keep my wireless printer there. The frame around the original TV still fits in front of the new setup and no additional work is necessary to keep it looking good. Plan to put latches (like a metal carrying case has) to hold the frame on (currently using 2 of the original screws - worked fine for a 1000 mile trip last week).
a. Only one of several flat screens was narrow enough to fit (31" in my case - Denyon? from Best Buy). Need to measure what you have.
b. The mount is hinged to allow the TV to swing out so I can access the printer. Its not real stable torsionally (when swung out to just below the ceiling) w/o two supports.
c. I used Pipe insulation (the round foam stuff) cut in half and sheet rubber to shock isolate the Blue Ray player - just squeeze it between the player and shelf and the base of the cabinet (mine is sloped down anyway).
d. My total cost was about $550.
This results in a much neater set up than many I have seen and only took about half a day total.
PS: As to using the Rear view TV camera, I would check the input to the Monitor and make sure the TV has a corresponding input, possibly RCA jacks or a standard cable input. Almost any monitor will accept video from a receiver, or a camera. Most will also have a PC (VGA) type input that may work.
Ernie n Tara

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:00 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ernie and Tara.
Sir and madam. I Seajay the sailor man do acknowledge your important suggestions concerning my back up camera situation. I also acknowledge your input concerning replacement of your television with a flat panel TV as worthwhile information as that is my next project on my motor home. To that end I state the following...
One. for good information concerning the back up monitor replacement question TEN CENTS IS OWED FOR GOOD INFORMATION.
Two. For good information concerning the instillation of a flat panel TV a further TEN CENTS IS OWED FOR GOOD INFORMATION.
There It is so noted that this is the first time on record that a ''DOUBLE DIME'' comment has been submitted and accepted by myself.
Three. Said question concerning the back up monitor is still open for more suggestions and good ideas concerning same......
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets for their service to this great nation .....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #19
Cheap cameras-

A little history of my experience-

Own a 1994 Monaco that came with a Sony backup system. Camera started losing horizontal sync output in 2006 (lived with this a while as display would roll and usually display correctly after power was on for a while).
Feb 2007- Replaced Sony camera with a $150.00 ebay unit. Did not crank or drive M.H. until June 2007 and discovered the camera, at first would only sometimes produce an output, later totally died. I would estimate about 10 minutes, at most, of use before unit became defective.
Aug 2009 - Replaced above ebay unit with an even cheaper eBay ( cheap me - my bad) with an even lesser priced unit. Lasted about the same amount of use time.

I believe these units suffer from sub-grade electronic components used in their construction. It comes down to they will likely go belly-up after time, not necessarily use.
There is a good reason most of the ebay sellers don't offer a very good warranty. And the problem with us (me anyway) RVer's is we don't use our M.H. very much so when the camera does belly-up it is frustrating when you know it really only lasted for a few minutes of power on time.

For anyone considering a backup camera purchase and do not like to replace an item after very short time of use, especially when connecting cable issues are considered. I don't think there is much to do except purchase a brand name unit such as those used by truckers. I know these costs more but I believe (hope) my future purchase of a unit from voyager, or the like, will give me a real service life.
gofastnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
I'm thinking about installing a camera on my 1991 pace arrow. Could I drill a hole under the marker lights and go straight down and go underneath the m/h? Or would it be better to run the cable inside, say at ceilings.Any help would be appreciated.
levoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my old motorhome I made a back up camera out of a security camera from Harbor Freight($29.) and had it hard wired into my front TV it worked great. I ran the wires down the back through the trim and then under the coach to the front. The only problem was that everything was backwards. Sooo I mounted the camera facing the back of the MH and had it looking into a wide angle mirror that I stuck on the back of the MH. Now everything was wide angle and left was on the left and right was on the right. So theres much more information than you wanted.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
I recently replaced my old black & white monitor/camera with 2 cameras and a color lcd monitor. I purchased the system off e-bay, from vendor identified as leviathan holdings.
I purchased a 7 inch monitor that allows three inputs. Monitor comes with camera. Also purchased an additional "side view" camera, and 2 65 ft cables. Total cost was approximately $350.

I've mounted both cameras on the rear cap. One to replace the view of the old camera, and an additional one for a view further back down the highway. I removed the new camera from the side mount housing, and mounted the “camera only” in the old camera housing on rear of motorhome. I mounted the other camera on top of the old camera housing.

I ran the two cables from the rear cap down to frame forward to front of coach and then up into drivers area. Removing the old b&w monitor was troublesome, and the new monitor does not fill the hole. Old monitor was in wrong place anyway. I fabricated a plate to cover the hole, and mounted the new monitor on upper right of instrument panel. The color monitor is much better than the old b&w, and having the view further back down the road is very helpful.

The only difficult part of this project is running the cables under the coach.

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 H.R.Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
Fred Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #23
Sounds like you went 'all out'. Nothing should sneak up on you. I opted for the Rear View Safety that is mentioned in this thread. $250 and I really like it. Shouldn't say that as I haven't actually road tested it yet but sitting in my driveway I can see all kinds of things to back into. On my little 23' class C I mounted the camera above my middle marker light and ran the cable up to my roof rack, zip tied around the corner and ducked down into my refrigerator roof vent, past the furnace, under the sofa/bed, through a forward storage compartment, under the carpet and behind the passenger kick panel where I mounted the 'brain box' then under the dash to the monitor. My first mounting of the monitor turned out to be too severe of a viewing angle even with all the adjustment built into the mounting plate but now I feel it is perfect.
Thanks for all the input from everyone!
elira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #24
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I purchase a wireless rear view back up camera from Camping world for $65.00, for I had no camera on my coach, it was a demo & the price was right, thought I try it, I had to modfly my license plate on top, cutting out a little here to run the wire through, after mounting it on the RV, I went inside the rig & hook up the little TV ,it works just fine, I then took it on a test run whith my car in tow, the way I have it hooked up either you turn on the marking lights or the headlights and this will activate the camera, on the plate, as I don't needed on all the time I simply can turn the TV off, for the money spent,,its worth it, not having to spend tons of money, yet not going through a big hassle with the wires, and yep got a safe way to back up, evan though my wife is always in back with a two way radio, to act as my 2nd set of eyes, & to check the vehical in tow.
swamphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back up camra

I have a Weldex B&W on my 2004 Pace Arrow (stock unit). It came with an overlay you put on the screen to give distance references. Works fine, wish it was color but will not throw it away and spend $ just for color.
Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #26
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I also seen the same one that looks pretty much like the one I purchase, it is black and white and I don't think I would of spent the extra money for a color one either.
If this one is ever goes, I would like to purchase a bigger unit, as it is small. The wireless I have does lose the picture as we drive down the road, but its split second as it comes on right away, upon backing up it does ok, so now I will use my mirrors, camera & still my wife, as extra eyes. Its not that I don't trust cameras, its I don't trust cats, dogs, and childern.
swamphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #27
I just replaced my old bw backup system with a 7" color. The bw monitor was replaced several years ago and thougt it was time to upgrade. Searced and found leviathan holdings on ebay and paid $200.00 including shipping for the system. Needed to purchase some extra cable and they shipped it right out to me. Mounted it on top if my dash, ran the wires along the chassis and it is super!!. Wide view and I have markers that go back to 50' so I can keep track of the oncoming traffic. The hole in my dashboard from the old 5" crt, I filled it in with new led lights that I can see in the daylight that indicate the l/r turn signal, steps, antenna, high beam, running lights and steps. Put the switches in for the two new motorized shades on the drivers and passangers side windows, the two window fans, aux radiator fan, fuse and phony alarm light.
'97 Georgie Boy Cruise Air F53/460
'99 Nissan Frontier Tow
4-1-10 Finally Retired and Traveling
YO-Vista, Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
Well, someone had to do it I guess, lol. I actually purchased a voyager 3-camera color system for my 2000 Discovery 37V MH. It has a b/w rear camera already but I really wanted the side cameras as well. Yes, it was pricey($1600) but I am happy with the results. I keep the b/w monitor on to watch the rear while I can toggle left, right or rear with the color unit or let the turn signals activate the cameras. I'm sure with my luck, the b/w unit being original equipment will fail most likely at the worst possible moment so I also have some piece of mind. I thought about the wireless units but didn't think they would perform as I was hoping they would. It is good to be situationally aware insofar as traffic goes, just my thoughts...

My Service Dog "Annie" and I in my Army Dress Blues April 2010 at our service team graduation. Retire from the military in OCT 2010. Looking at full-timing with Annie... Drive safe everyone...
Easyrider-6 is offline   Reply With Quote