Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Question Bad Breaker?

I have an Onan 9500 QD generator. The 30amp breaker on the generator will not stay in the On position with no load or power, meaning the generator is off and the switch will not pop or click in the On position.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Turn off the main breaker in the distribution panel and retry. If the breaker does not latch to on or off then the breaker is bad. If it does, but does not hold, you may have a shorted conductor between generator and transfer switch. Good luck and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

RV Wizard. Yes, I turned off all breakers including main in the RV and the breaker on the generator remains off. I pulled the breaker, which was a PITA since my generator does not slide out. I will be trying to get a new breaker today and test out this evening.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, breakers do go bad. Try a replacement.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Sorry for the late reply on the fix. The breaker was bad and ordered a new one, which the cost was $100. But, I did save myself roughly $300-$500 dollars by doing this myself. The time was about 3-4 hours because I had to remove a portion of the front fiberglass and crawl under the rv to remove the bolts to a side panel. Replaced the breaker and good to go!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

as a side not when breakers trip there's a carbon arc. sometimes they will stop the breaker from reseting. if your breaker is broken you can't break it. so (with the power off) as fast as you can and as hard as you can slam it on and off lets say 10 times + or - . them see if it resets. if it doesn't when you take it out on the flat side in the off position holding it with your hand, bang (slam) it on concrete,( something flat and hard0. it might get you back up until you can get a new one. remember if it's broke you can't break it. usualy when a breaker goes bad it gets weak, you can't fix that. but when they won't reset you have a chance.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #7

wonderer1, the breaker was actually bad, or rather failed becasue even when removed for lack of a better word, was "mushy" would not stay in the on position.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #8

bad breaker

didn't say it wasn't a bad breaker. just suggested how to try to get a breaker to come back to life. was an electrican for years and woudn't replace a breaker just because a customer didn't know when a breaker trips you have to turn it to the off position before reseting. that's when i would give my customers a 101 course on breakers. not wanting to take a customers money when they don't need to spend it gets you a lot of happy customers.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Hey wonderer1, my response was not to be taken in the wrong way, as I did the suggestions you mentioned prior to pulling the breaker. Also, before I pulled it, I managed to get an electrican buddy to take a look as well, because $100 is something I would much rather keep in my pocket.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #10

Not a switch!

Many reasons for a breaker to fail, one commone one that many do not realize it the breaker is an over-current protection device, not a load switching device.

A light switch is a load switching device, it is designed to be used to control the circuit load, every time the switch is changed there is a spark and wear.

Circuit breakers are NOT designed to be switched on a loaded or live to load circuit.

If the generator is running and there is a load on the generator do NOT power off the load via the breaker UNLESS IT IS DESIGNED TO DO IT!

THe breaker will not last very long and can be expensive to replace.

If the breaker is under the coach then it need to be protected from road wash too.