Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Balancing Grey & Black, Has It Been Considered?

As the name implies, I'm still new at this.

In our rig, as in many others, the grey and black tanks fill at different rates. Often, when grey is full, I'm only at half in the black tank.

Lately, I've been washing dishes in a rubber tub that fits neatly in the sink; then, I pour the dishwater down the toilet.

It's magical: the black water sensors are happier, the tanks fill at the same rate, and our "stuff" exits the Rhino hose speedier than that time you ate the bad fish tacos in Playa del Carmen.

It'd be nice if I could reach under the sink and divert the drainwater into the black tank, the cost of this mod would be sub-$20.

Has anyone experimented with this, or has any RV had a crossover/diverter installed as part of its design?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We've had several threads on this over the years but I don't recall a diverter.

Mark Nemeth had one solution.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I don't understand your point. Most of us want the black tank to last as long as possible. I keep the black closed all the time and the grey open all the time, then close the grey a day or two prior to dumping the black. I dump the black, flush the hoses by dumping the grey, then flush the black and grey tanks with the flushing system.

Put some Calgon or Dawn along with a gallon or two of water in the black after you've dumped and are preping it for the next use. That will help the outbound flow...I put some Dawn in the grey tank too, after I close it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Most of us have the gray tank fill up before the black tank is anywhere near full.

Ideally, they both would reach full at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I don't understand your point. Most of us want the black tank to last as long as possible.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't understand your point. Most of us want the black tank to last as long as possible. .
I don't think it's an issue at all if you're in a place with sewer hook ups but if you're dry camping for example, it would be nice to be able to utilize your full waste water storage capacity before having to deal with dumping/pumping. There's 10 gal difference in my grey and black tanks and I will still fill the grey numerous times before the black is full.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Camco makes a tank maximizer that connects the black and gray tanks together in the wet bay. Costs about $25.

I am parked at my daughter's house and use a sewer cap with a garden hose fitting and 25' of hose to drain my gray tank under a huge tree. Of course I am VERY CAREFUL about what I let go down the drain and I move the hose to a different spot daily.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don't understand your point. Most of us want the black tank to last as long as possible. I keep the black closed all the time and the grey open all the time, then close the grey a day or two prior to dumping the black. I dump the black, flush the hoses by dumping the grey, then flush the black and grey tanks with the flushing system.

Put some Calgon or Dawn along with a gallon or two of water in the black after you've dumped and are preping it for the next use. That will help the outbound flow...I put some Dawn in the grey tank too, after I close it.
It's for boondocking or being at a site with a community dump station, eg to maximize the time between dumping.

Someone kindly suggested the Camco Maximizer (thanks, great idea), which is similar to what I'd been envisioning, 'cept it backflows grey water into the black tank. I was thinking more of running a tee off the vent.

Of course, you've got the right idea: find places to stay where there is a full hookup. Thanks for the Calgon or Dawn tip. I'll try that. We already went out in search of Calgon for sensor-cleaning, and couldn't find it stocked anywhere. Anyone know where to find this stuff, so common in the 60's and 70's?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #8

We found liquid Calgon water softener in our local Wal-Mart, but I didn't remember which section of the store it was in. My SO found it after we searched several aisles. We were looking for the box of powder stuff, not liquid, but the bottle said "water softener".

liz
Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Another way is drill a hole in the grey tank dump cap (near the top) and install a 1/4" barbed fitting and a plastic line. Install a 12vdc demand pump in the line and feed it directly to the commode fresh water line. The pump can be wired to your existing pump, another switch or a remote control relay. You leave your grey water dump valve open to feed the pump. Now you flush with grey water and also save fresh water.
Before dumping you close the grey valve...of course you'll get some leftover when you remove the cap.
On my coach the commode is directly above the water bay so easy to plumb.
I drilled the hole in the cap to prevent any "mistakes" from ruining my drain system.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Camco Maximizer ! That's for me ! Longer desert dry camping, here I come !
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If your tanks sit side by side, add a dump valve where you connect your sewer hose. This will allow you to seal off the sewer line while opening both the grey and black tank at the same time. When the black tank is partially full and the grey tank is full, the two tanks will equalize. You only leave the valves open for a few moments and then close both valves.

Our SaniCon system does this just by the way its designed. The other advantage is that the black tank gets a load of soapy grey water that helps to keep the tank slick.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
If your tanks sit side by side, add a dump valve where you connect your sewer hose. This will allow you to seal off the sewer line while opening both the grey and black tank at the same time. When the black tank is partially full and the grey tank is full, the two tanks will equalize. You only leave the valves open for a few moments and then close both valves.

Our SaniCon system does this just by the way its designed. The other advantage is that the black tank gets a load of soapy grey water that helps to keep the tank slick.
Great idea!! And, 'cause of fluid dynamics, the only stuff trapped in the middle section is grey water; it gives two layers of protection from a Robin Williams moment
Old 07-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Great idea!! And, 'cause of fluid dynamics, the only stuff trapped in the middle section is grey water; it gives two layers of protection from a Robin Williams moment
Robin who ??
Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post

Wouldn't there be sloshing back and forth? I'm not sure I want black tank contents in the grey tank.