Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #1

Thumbs up Balancing tires w/ internal crystals?

I'm putting on six new tires (mine are seven years old) and the salesman says that they put some 'crystals' in the tire to help balance it? Have you heard of this or had any experience with this type of balancing? Thanks...Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are most likely referring to balancing powder or beads. After some research, we elected to use Equal Balancing powder when we got our new RV tires mounted 5 years ago. They have run smoothly for 30,000 miles.

http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/how-equal-works.aspx

If you use these agents, make sure they install a screen in the tire valve stems to prevent the balancing agent from sticking in the valve and causing a leak.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #3

I just replaced six tires (11R 24.5) and was offered the balancing beads, I declined and opted for the machine balancing. I have heard many many others use sucessfully the beads. The brand name escapes me at this moment.

Good Luck,
Gary
Old 02-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I just bought a new set of TOYO M154 245/75 22.5 and insisted on the spin balancing. I had powder in the last set and either they didn't put the proper stems in or they just didn't work. I had sand causing slow leaks in two of the six tires. I hear the beads are much better for that problem because there too big to get into the stems. As far as effective balancing the sand worked fine but it sure makes a mess if you need to get a tire repaired on the side of the road like we did because of the leaks.

Dick
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Equal put in my new tires when they installed them. After a lot of shaking on the road, I had the tires removed and balance spin checked.

Found one tire could not be balanced because it was so out of round. Had to replace the tire. Had to remove the equal to check all the tires as they cannot spin balance with the equal in them.

Some people have had good results with the Equal an others.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #6

Internal balancing works well as long as the packets used open properly once installed. (You just drive and they rupture releasing the beads.) The other is golf balls. I use them in large off road vehicle tires (like a 37” tire) and they work great. I toss in 4-5 balls per tire and they balance up. However when you come to a stop the balls keep spinning inside the tires, making a slight noise. I love the look on people’s faces when I respond to their question as to the sound “ oh its just the golf balls inside my tires”. I would imagine this would work for some of the larger RV tires.
helocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You can also use a bolt on balancing system such as Centramatic.

If a tire is badly out of balance from the factory, the Equal powder or Dynabead ceramic balls won't be able to fully compensate, but for any halfway decent tire they work fine. You DO need the special valve stems for them, though, to avoid problems with the valves sticking open and leaking. Some shops don't bother with them (extra cost), resulting in the problem that The Berrys reported.

Centramatic
Tire Balancing Products
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #8

I had a bad experience with Equal. Bad shimmy after replacing the steer tires. I had the dealer remove it and the coach drove smooth as silk with no balancing. Goodyear G670's.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #9

Despite having the prescribed special valve stems installed,the Equal often causes loss of air when I check pressure with a gauge.The air continues to leak when the gauge is removed.I do not dare to check tire pressure unless I have immediate access to an air compressor to clear the valve.No complaints with balance.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
You can also use a bolt on balancing system such as Centramatic.

If a tire is badly out of balance from the factory, the Equal powder or Dynabead ceramic balls won't be able to fully compensate, but for any halfway decent tire they work fine. You DO need the special valve stems for them, though, to avoid problems with the valves sticking open and leaking. Some shops don't bother with them (extra cost), resulting in the problem that The Berrys reported.

Centramatic
Tire Balancing Products
The Centramatic balancers didn't work for my (6) 22.5" tires. I removed them and sent them back to the manufacturer for a refund. Nothing is more tried and true than lead weighted spin balancing.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
The Centramatic balancers didn't work for my (6) 22.5" tires. I removed them and sent them back to the manufacturer for a refund. Nothing is more tried and true than lead weighted spin balancing.

Nothing is more tried and true than lead weighted spin balancing............

What else needs to be said, it's been proven for many years. Good Luck, travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I guess some of you have never lost a wheel weight or had a tire get out of balance after the initial balancing. The drawback to the weight system is that it needs to be "updated" regularly to re-balance the tire. Every method has its pros and cons, so you have to choose what works for you.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smooth ride, tires