Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #1

The left rear jack on my mh doesn't retract all the way. It come up about an inch or so off the ground allowing me to place a lever under it. Then, I can raise the jack almost effortlessly until it only about an inch from being fully retracted.

I've checked the vent plug on the reservoir for plugging, and even left it off while trying to retract the jack, and it still refuses to fully retract.

HWH sent new springs but since the jack won't retract I now think it is something other than tired springs.

Anyone know if there is a bleeder on the jack itself? HWH is closed this weekend so I can't check with their tech dept., and would like to get it fixed this weekend if possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #2

The left rear jack on my mh doesn't retract all the way. It come up about an inch or so off the ground allowing me to place a lever under it. Then, I can raise the jack almost effortlessly until it only about an inch from being fully retracted.

I've checked the vent plug on the reservoir for plugging, and even left it off while trying to retract the jack, and it still refuses to fully retract.

HWH sent new springs but since the jack won't retract I now think it is something other than tired springs.

Anyone know if there is a bleeder on the jack itself? HWH is closed this weekend so I can't check with their tech dept., and would like to get it fixed this weekend if possible.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
On the front of the solenoid there is a 1/4" nut... release that about 3 to 4 full turns, but no more. I believe the outer solenoids are the rears.

On edit:

Some solenoid may even have a "T" handle instead of the 1/4" nut.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #4

Hi Dale,

Are you talking about the four black, horizontal "do jiggies" that rest on top of the reservoir?

Of course...I should RTFM
Old 08-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your jack has a twisted flat "O" ring inside cylinder the jack will have to be replaced at some time. Took mine a year to finally fail I had to jack up axel and continusly drop the jack plate on blocks to get it to retrack.
New jack cost about $325. This http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/6431033151/p/6 will explain how I replaced the jack if you will need to also. Move down to center of page.
I had spray the jack piston also works but it will fail sometime.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Yes, the black cylinder looking "do jiggies" with wires running out of them.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 AM   #7
paz

Just something to pass along to anyone having problems with hydraulic jacks that are slow to retract. Do not press the "store" button then leave the jack control panel "on" for an extended period waiting for them to store. All the solenoids are energized during the time the jacks are trying to store. I found out the hard way the solenoids will overheat and burn out if left energized for a long time. Then the jacks won't go up or down.

From what I gather, HWH considers less than 3 minutes to be normal for jacks to retract. If they are consistently taking longer than that, back off the relief nut as oemtech suggests (the preferred solution for emergency storing), use a lever as Freddy did, or try spraying the exposed shaft with a little silicone lube. But DON'T leave them switched on for an extended period.

Oh, BTW, there is a hex recess in the vent cap that you can use to back off the relief nut.

HWH replaced all my solenoids twice, replaced the vent cap, replaced all the return springs (they are now using stronger springs), and finally replaced both my rear jacks under warranty. Now the rear jacks now store in 30-45 seconds and I'm a happy camper.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
Just something to pass along to anyone having problems with hydraulic jacks that are slow to retract. Do not press the "store" button then leave the jack control panel "on" for an extended period waiting for them to store. All the solenoids are energized during the time the jacks are trying to store. I found out the hard way the solenoids will overheat and burn out if left energized for a long time. Then the jacks won't go up or down.

From what I gather, HWH considers less than 3 minutes to be normal for jacks to retract. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were did you "gather" HWH considers 3 minutes is normal??? Retraction depends on ambient oil and jack temperatures. Here is what HWH says about jack retraction times.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #9

my hwh panel has a 6 minute timer that will shut off the power to the panel when the 6 minutes expires. was instructed to not turn off ign switch during that 6 minutes.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:

From what I gather, HWH considers less than 3 minutes to be normal for jacks to retract. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were did you "gather" HWH considers 3 minutes is normal??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HWH called about a week after the repair to check on the results. When I stated the previously slow rear jacks were so fast that I now noticed one of the fronts was a little slow. The caller from HWH asked "Does it take longer then 3 minutes to go retract?" That's where I got my information.

It was summer (over 60 degrees) and a front jack (less than 9,000#) so from the chart the "official" acceptable time is 4 minutes, not 3. I guess they were trying to make it a little tighter time to see if a problem was developing.

You can certainly leave the jacks "on" for longer than that (especially if the outside temperatures are colder), but I burned out 2 solenoids by leaving them on for too long. If I recall, it was taking about 30 to 40 minutes for the rear jacks to go up when the first solenoid went.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tommywilson:
my hwh panel has a 6 minute timer that will shut off the power to the panel when the 6 minutes expires. was instructed to not turn off ign switch during that 6 minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine also shut off automatically and I let them run through the timing cycle.

PAZ, I apologize if my wording upset you.

-Tom
currently home near Pitsburgh

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #12

From what I gather, HWH considers less than 3 minutes to be normal for jacks to retract. If they are consistently taking longer than that, back off the relief nut as oemtech suggests (the preferred solution for emergency storing), use a lever as Freddy did, or try spraying the exposed shaft with a little silicone lube. But DON'T leave them switched on for an extended period.

Oh, BTW, there is a hex recess in the vent cap that you can use to back off the relief nut.

HWH replaced all my solenoids twice, replaced the vent cap, replaced all the return springs (they are now using stronger springs), and finally replaced both my rear jacks under warranty. Now the rear jacks now store in 30-45 seconds and I'm a happy camper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PAZ - Just want make sure what you are saying. When you say while the jacks are trying to store are you talking about while the jacks are in the process of retracting? My manual says to drive with the store switch on all the time and I must do this or the jacks down warning will sound after driving just a few miles. I am assuming that once the jacks have retracted that the solenoids are not active and there is no problem. Once in awhile I forget to turn on the store switch and usually within 20 or 30 miles the jacks down warning will come on along with the red light on the dash. Turning on the store switch will silence the alarm in a couple of seconds.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 AM   #13
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ghamblen:
PAZ - Just want make sure what you are saying. When you say while the jacks are trying to store are you talking about while the jacks are in the process of retracting? My manual says to drive with the store switch on all the time and I must do this or the jacks down warning will sound after driving just a few miles. I am assuming that once the jacks have retracted that the solenoids are not active and there is no problem. Once in awhile I forget to turn on the store switch and usually within 20 or 30 miles the jacks down warning will come on along with the red light on the dash. Turning on the store switch will silence the alarm in a couple of seconds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When you hit the "store" button, the solenoids are energized. They open up to allow the fluid to return to the reservoir. I think once a jack stores successfully the solenoid for that jack shuts down (when the red light for that jack goes out). In fact, a few minutes after all the jacks store, my whole system shuts down. I believe this is the recommended practice - to allow the control panel to shut itself off after the jacks store successfully.

The problem occurs when one of more of the jacks won't go up. During the time a balky jack is trying to store, the solenoid for that jack is energized. If one or more jacks are taking an unusually long time to store, take some other action (like backing off the relief nut) rather than just sitting and waiting for the jack to go up by itself. Tom N provided a table above that indicates what HWH officially considers to be reasonable times for various size jacks to retract.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 AM   #14
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
PAZ, I apologize if my wording upset you.

-Tom
currently home near Pitsburgh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom - no problem. I was unaware of the HWH chart. I was going by the question they asked me on the phone. Thanks for providing the information.

BTW, we are former Pittsburghers (now full-time). We are currently in the South Hills parked in our daughter and son-in-law's driveway for a visit.